New DOT regulations on transporting Lithium Batteries:

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ya'll-

Pardon me if this has already been discussed, I didn't see it with a quick search.

I just thought I'd pop in and give you the heads up on the new DOT regulations on shipping lithium batteries into and around the US.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/about/news/service_updates/battery.html

Lithium Battery Regulation Change
Service Update

Effective October 1, 2008, medium lithium batteries become fully regulated for air shipment in the U.S. Department of Transportation's (DOT) Hazardous Materials Regulations. Lithium batteries are considered a hazardous material because they can overheat and ignite in certain conditions and, once ignited, can be especially difficult to extinguish.

The new regulation will require packages containing medium lithium batteries, and offered for air transport, to be properly packaged, marked, and labeled as Hazardous Materials and accompanied by shipping papers. Otherwise, the shipment may be delayed, or significant U.S. DOT fines could apply. U.S. DOT has the ability to issue fines and penalties as high as $50,000 per violation for non-compliance.

Common examples of medium lithium batteries include:

* Power supplies for high-intensity, long-life portable lighting, such as diving lamps
* Some extended-life batteries for laptops
* Larger batteries for high-level video cameras (used by film and news crews)
* Long-life communications power supplies

These changes apply to shipments of loose medium lithium batteries as well as medium batteries contained inside of equipment, or packed with equipment.

Beginning October 1, 2008:

* Air shipments of medium lithium batteries must display the "Cargo Aircraft Only" label if the package exceeds 5 kg (11 pounds). UPS accepts hazardous materials only from shippers with a contract or agreement for such service.

* Ground shipments of medium lithium batteries must be marked as follows:

o "LITHIUM BATTERIES - FORBIDDEN FOR TRANSPORT ABOARD AIRCRAFT AND VESSEL."

o Text size for the above marking depends on the size of the package:
+ Gross weight of 30 kg (66 LB) or less - letters at least 6 mm (0.25 inch) high
+ Gross weight over 30 kg (66 LB) - letters at least 12 mm (0.5 inch) high

o If there are more than 12 batteries in a package, DOT requires an additional damage warning both on the package and in an accompanying document that would be affixed to the package in a resealable envelope. The DOT-required warning and document both advise handlers that the package contains lithium batteries and that certain safety measures are required if it is damaged.

For full information about these changes, shippers should review the applicable U.S. DOT Final Rule. Shippers may also contact the U.S. DOT Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration's Hazmat Info-Line at 1-800-467-4922.

This just came up over at the endless-sphere electric vehicle website.

In spite of the regulation not being effective until OCT 1, one tof the members there was just informed that his thousand dollar battery pack that was shipped from China had been confiscated and would be destroyed as an illegal shipment of hazardous materials.

SnWnMe

Enlightened
FCI. Flashlight Control Inc.

If you can't ban flashlights, ban the batteries or make them difficult to acquire ;)

No one needs more than ten lumens output from their flashlights.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I assume that a pack of CR123a type batteries would be unaffected by this?

Regards,
Tempest

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never went through the course to be a trained certifier for hazardous material shipping. I've been involved in international shipping by multiple modes and worked with a trained certifier though. Some things I remember that will hopefully still be close to accurate ;) :

- There are international standards that must be met for international shipments. Domestic standards could vary from international standards and be either more or less stringent. Air, sea, and ground standards differ. It's a literal pile of regulation when its all printed. It's also constantly changing.
- Individual carriers may further limit shipments they don't want to handle or can't handle properly. The good thing is they have to comply with the pile of documents, so their rules make a good "one stop" source for us as individuals. Let them deal with the pile and just do what they tell you.
- Quantity matters.
- Shipping method matters, whether it's required packing, mandatory handling by the carrier, or the limits on the mode (ground, sea, air).
- Proper documentation and marking matters.

It may still be possible to get the lithium battery pack for a car from China if they properly mark, package and ship it. As to the question of a pack of 123's, this change doesn't seem to apply to them. The carrier's rules are the best source for us as untrained individuals shipping a small package. The USPS rules governing mailability are here. A quick summary is that primary cells shipped by themselves cannot go by air or to an APO/FPO address through the USPS(and require special marking to ensure that). Enough cells to operate a device can be shipped with it, either inside or out, by air and ground. There's other requirements at the link and separate rules for Li-ion too (air is fine but "The mailpiece must not contain more than 3 batteries") . I would suspect there are a lot of violations by the shipper in packages sent to and by our members that pass through the US Postal service.

Consult your carrier before shipping for their rules.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think much has changed, as far as CR123As are concerned.

The ruling refers to "medium Lithium batteries", and as example lists "some extended-life batteries for laptops", which I read that most standard laptop batteries are not affected by this ruling.

I checked TSA, and rules for air travel have not changed (no loose Lithium batteries in checked baggage. Limited amount for carry-on.)

Bulk shipments of CR123As have been already limited.

Marduke

Flashaholic
CR123's and 18650's do NOT fall under this regulation, except in relatively large bulk shipments of 5lbs of cells or greater.