So what to do with all those crappy flashlights I got for christmas?

craig333

Newly Enlightened
Now friends I can try and enlighten, but I"m not gonna tell relatives I see but rarely that the maglite they gave me is a piece of crap. I could mod it sure, but I don't really need another large light. Or the little aaa light that must have embarrassed the builders so much they didn't even stamp "china" on it?

MonkRX

Newly Enlightened
Well the Maglite is still a good reliable light. I'm assuming you got a C/D, and I guess for most EDCing purposes, it is a little large. If you're not into modding ("another" mag), why don't you give it away to one of your friends? Unless you're against regifting.... :p

The mag might encourage someone to see the light and buy something a little smaller or brighter for their needs ;).

Or if you're not into giving away lights, why don't you torturer test the flashlights and post videos and pictures for all of us to see ;) :popcorn:

I'm still partial to giving them away, or at least selling them who might be able to use it. Why don't you try the marketplace?

... But either way, if I had relatives like you... I'd be pretty happy. ... At least their trying to buy you things that you're interested in. I'd take a mag for a gift than a lousy sweater any day ;)

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
I had the same problem. I ended up throwing all but one away(Streamlight Nano), because they were so cheap. Not even the hosts were worth salvaging. I would have been thrilled with even a Maglite.

You have a drawing. I bet I'm not the only one itching for a Maglite body to mod.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Display them proudly on the highest part of your shelf so they can see them every time they visit. That's what I do. Also when anyone asks what I want for Christmas I reply, Oh, God in heaven please don't give me a flashlight. Seriously I have enough and I'm very picky. Even with this declaration I got a wind-up crank light and a tripod light. Lame.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
hand them over to me :)

or, start a drawing.
nothing like new years' lights to the lumen deficient.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
kd mag mods are cheap, then give em to friends that could use a decent light.:poke::poke:

or,

take a pic of what you got and a price, there are a few here could use some things to play with.

you might even get a good trade?:party:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
the maglite they gave me is a piece of crap
:oops:
I totally disagree with your statement .... the Mag makes a great host
for some really good mods, both incan and LED.
There are mods ranging from hundreds of $$$ to a couple of bucks.

toolpig1

Enlightened
Regifting is a good option unless the item is a total piece of crap. I would never regift anything that I wouldn't have considered buying in the first place. I always have decent flashlights, knives, and multitools on hand for spur of the moment thank you's. Sometimes, one of my guys will stay late to get something finished, or a building inspector will rearrange his schedule to accommodate me. A small thank you gift on those occasions really goes on long way.

Also, I'm never without a light to be used as a loaner. Everyone around me knows that I'm the "flashlight guy", so whenever someone needs a light, guess who they ask. A mag-led is a great loaner light to a non-CPF guy.

bigdaddy

Newly Enlightened
Owning Maglites are really quite 'fun' as they are upgradeable, companies such as Terralux have came up with some upgrade modules. Imagine 'shocking' your buddies with a bright 2AA maglite fixed with a Luxeon LED module. :D

$10 USD 2AA Maglite plus a $15 Luxeon upgrade module (Total approx US$25). It's really cheap and good. Further more it's all Made in the USA.(What more can you ask for?) :nana::nana::nana:

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Display them proudly. Give face to the ones who gave them to you. Don't insult those who gave you a gift. At least that's what I would do.

And next year ... take preventive measures to avoid those kind of gifts in advance :D

bernie

brucec

Enlightened
Same thing you do with all of the "crappy" cards and drawings your loving 3yr old daughter gives you...

knightrider

Enlightened
I give them to Goodwill for second-hand sales to others. The lights I sometimes get as gifts are never very nice but someone will get use out of them. Donating stuff you don't need or like is fun.

If they ask about the light I say it broke or got lost. :naughty: