Airport security & traveling w/flashlights & batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan to take a dozen or so flashlights, with batteries, on a trip by air. I was planning on putting the flashlights (batteries inside the lights) in a small aluminum Haliburton case for the trip.

Will this go through checkpoint Charlie as a carry-on without any problems? I can see how they could appear to be small bombs without close examination.

Can a bag of AW rechargeables get through security without problems?

=====

Just did a search.... should have done that first! Anyway, based on what I read, I am rethinking the lights I was originally planning to take with me and the method of carrying them.

Now I'm thinking I'll just take four or five smaller lights and pack them in my carry-on without the Haliburton.

Last edited:

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Just did a search.... should have done that first! Anyway, based on what I read, I am rethinking the lights I was originally planning to take with me and the method of carrying them.

Now I'm thinking I'll just take four or five smaller lights and pack them in my carry-on without the Haliburton.

Yup, the topic has been asked many times. The general answers I have seen are:

1.) For the most part, flashlights and batteries can be taken in a carry-on without issue. Most people do not get hassled, even with "tactical" lights such as the E2D / E2DL with the strike bezel.

2.) To be on the safe side, do not take anything that you are too horribly attached to or are too expensive. You might be in the minority that do get hassled. If you are, just state that they are flashlights. If you have something with aggressive scalloping on the bezel or tailcap (e.g. the E2D or E2DL) then explain that the tailcap is used so it can stand like a candle and the scalloping on the bezel is so that you can tell right away if you set the light on a surface with the bezel pointing down if the light was left on.

3.) Do not bring something with an overly aggressive strike bezel (e.g. "porcupine" lights) since that is just asking for trouble.

4.) Just pack the flashlights in your carry on and let them go through the security checkpoint. Do not call any attention to them.

5.) Bring some mailers and postage to the airport with you, just in case you do get stopped. That way, you can mail your lights back to yourself. (Or, you could do what I do, ask a friend or family member to take you to the airport and ask them to wait until you clear the security checkpoint before they head off so that if you do get hassled, you can give your stuff to them for them to safely keep.)

6.) Do not check flashlights in your luggage if you want to see them again. There have been several instances of flashlights "disappearing" from checked luggage. Extra batteries should be in your carry-on, per TSA.

Hope this helps.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

This is from another forums (this forum: http://www.calccw.com/Forums/ccw-accessories/90-flashlights-you-carry-3.html)

The Transportation Security Administration's current security screening procedures require all carry-on luggage and accessible property be screened before passengers take them onboard an aircraft. Regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, the Transportation Security Officers (TSO's) have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if the item poses a security threat.

Therefore, TSA security screening personnel make the final decision on whether to permit items like a NAME OF ITEM into the sterile area of the airport. Should you need additional assistance, feel free to contact us at toll free 866-289-9673.

Please visit our website at www.tsa.gov for additional information about TSA. We continue to add new information and encourage you to check the website frequently for updated information.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

deranged_coder

Enlightened
"per TSA"....?? Sorry, is that a reference to some airport rules or something?

Here is the specific page on travel with batteries on the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) website: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

TSA is the organization in charge of air travel security and safety in the USA. Different countries will have their own organizations in charge of air travel security and safety and will have their own rules so it would be best to do your own research if you are not in the USA. :)

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work at my local airport, thus I am trained on what things can be carried on the planes. First and foremost, answering these questions all depends on what airline you are flying with. The different airlines have different security and hazmat regulations, so it will vary between companies. Most will allow the flashlights and li-ion batteries in your carry-on baggage. They will not allow you to transport the batteries in your checked luggage. In order to get the correct answer, you will need to provide the airline you will be flying with.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
I work at my local airport, thus I am trained on what things can be carried on the planes. First and foremost, answering these questions all depends on what airline you are flying with. The different airlines have different security and hazmat regulations, so it will vary between companies. Most will allow the flashlights and li-ion batteries in your carry-on baggage. They will not allow you to transport the batteries in your checked luggage. In order to get the correct answer, you will need to provide the airline you will be flying with.

Thanks for that info. Strauss. I've been reading these posts lately as I will be flying United from Syracuse to Honolulu in two weeks for a great vacation. From what I see, all batteries are safer in your carry-on bag. I think I will have to limit how many I bring along.

I see your in Plattsburgh, not too far north from me in Canastota.

dmonay

Newly Enlightened
I recently flew to North Carolina from Calif. I had a connecting flight each way, so that's four trips through security. I put my Novatac and Inova X1 with primary batteries in a fanny pack and through x ray with no problems at all. I flew Delta arilines. My wife carried a 2x aa maglight in her purse also no problems. I did leave the E2DL at home though due to the strike bezel. I didn't want to take any chances on that one.

mfranke

Newly Enlightened
I recently flew from Tampa to Kona, and since we had planned to hike to the lava flow at night, I packed two TerraLUX TLE-3C2AA-EX, the new 220 lumen models (a LOT of light for the money).

They are quite 'tactical' in appearance, so I was a bit concerned.

I stopped checking baggage for flights about three years ago, and had a daypack (my ex-UDT pack) as well as a small carry-on, and resisted the urge to throw my Spyderco Atlantic Salt in the bag at the last minute, but I did put in my Motorola Q9, my iPod, and the two -EX lamps, along with my copy of The Boer War (gotta love vintage Churchill), and a few other trinkets.

Of course, TSA pulled the pack, asked who belonged to it, and upon identifying myself, was asked to remove everything. The TSA agent stared blankly at the lights, and then (I'm not making this up) looked right into the reflector, switched the thing on, and blinded himself temporarily, throwing his head back like a moron.

You would have thought he shot himself, and it took him a minute to recover, then he asked where he could get one, as did his partner. The whole TSA crew was pretty impressed. Of course, it was 5 in the morning.

I gave him my card, and I noticed an order come in while I was away for two.

Long story short, don't check those lights. Carry them on. Who are you going to rely on if that plane goes dark?

I'm just wondering when I'll be able to carry my Spyderco again. You would think 15 years as a Frogman would enable me that right.

batman

Enlightened
I once put a brinkman maxfire LX in my checked luggage and had no poblems all the way from Tulsa, OK to Vietnam, 4 connecting flights. However, it is worth mentioning that a brinkman maxfire LX is not a SF,..it's not even worth stealing. Even if you knew you wouldn't get caught.

the TSA people in Texas did however stop me when the scanner picked up the bottle of Rogaine foam in my carry on. You'd think they saw the second coming of jesus-christ. I will never, as long as i live, do that again.

325addict

Enlightened
It's a great idea to be prepared, and have something with you to send it to yourself WHEN you get stuck....

BUT: it may also happen on your third flight from Honduras to Mexico.... and then?? You at least have no stamps then :mecry:

Timmo.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
It's a great idea to be prepared, and have something with you to send it to yourself WHEN you get stuck....

BUT: it may also happen on your third flight from Honduras to Mexico.... and then?? You at least have no stamps then :mecry:

Timmo.

Well, if you are that worried about it, then do not bring any expensive lights or lights you are that strongly attached to. Simple solution. :shrug:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good travel news to report...

Well... I went through checkpoint charlie in PDX last week with seven flashlights in my checked bag all clustered together in a small box. I mentioned before screening that I had a small flashlight collection with me in the bag. They watched it on their monitor and didn't seem to even bat an eye. No request to open the bag or anything. Perhaps they're getting good at being able to distinguish Li-Ions and Lithium primaries in flashlights from explosives using nothing but the x-ray screen (or whatever it is). We did have our driver remain on airport grounds until receiving a cell phone call from us to report no need for them to retrieve my precious flashlights.

kraz

Newly Enlightened
I travel internationally to Asia, occasionally Hawaii, and travel domestically across much of the US with a variety of carriers. I carry a little CR123 LumaPower in my carry-on laptop bag everywhere and it has never been a problem. In hundreds of flights my bag has never been stopped after X-ray for re-examination because of the flashlight. Not once. Ever.

Note that it does not have a strike bezel.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I actually think TSA is getting better at it. (Of course the alternative is frightening -- they're getting stupider! No offense to Strauss)

What I carry varies, but the constants are an E2D and an L4 in my backpack. A few years ago, I got stopped all the time. Now I take my backpack thru the experienced traveler line and have not been stopped once in two years, um, even the time I had a small aluminum knife in my bag (Miami).

daloosh

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually think TSA is getting better at it. (Of course the alternative is frightening -- they're getting stupider! No offense to Strauss)
daloosh

No offense taken. I don't work for TSA anyway, I am a line service tech :nana:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my return flight from Reno to PDX today I had the same seven flashlights all clustered together in a box in my carry on. I mentioned that they were there. There was no issue of any kind, again, no request to open the bag. Off we went. The largest flashlight was a Jet III Military, the rest were E1e legos, L1, a 2-cell Romisen, LF3XT. Nice that there was no problem! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.