Worth getting a Fenix L1D Rebel???

bigmul

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm afraid that I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to decent torches, however feel the urge to spend what with it being pay day and all.

I had thought that a D10 would fit the bill perfectly, but then I'd always had a nagging at the back of my mind about Fenix's. I can get a Fenix L1D Rebel for £30 (approx $43) but wonder what people think of this? I know that the newer Cree models are only a tenner more ($57 to our American friends!) but it's so easy to keep saying "well for just this much more I could get...." if you get my drift!

I currently have a couple of Maglites of different sizes and the excellent little 3W Cree Tesco AA torch and fancy something that I can use when wild camping, out and about and something with a low level that won't wake SWMBO when she's in bed and I crawl upstairs.

So...thoughts? - Oh, and thanks in advance!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never owned a Fenix light but have heard nothing but positive things about them. I can tell you that I bought a D10 and for the money would be hard to beat for a edc light!!
It can really put out the lumens on high and I use the lowest setting quite often and with 14500's it can run many hours, I did test mine on high and got over 80 minutes, which is quite amazing to me.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Fenix L1D is a solid choice, though I'm not sure how much use you'd get out of it after owning a Nitecore; if you prefer a preset multi-mode interface over the D10's brightness ramp, it could work for you.

The Rebel emitter is warm with a smooth beam profile, it's very good for outdoor use where it brings out nature's colors better than a cool-tint Cree.

The only caveat would be the low mode; the Fenix low is roughly 10 lumens, which is far brighter than the Nitecore minimum. It's not really low enough to preserve your night vision if you're using it in darkness.

bigmul

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, I maybe didn't make it clear - I don't currently have the Nitecore. I'd certainly consider one, but I just know that I'll want to buy more than one torch so though maybe getting the Fenix would save a couple of quid before the inevitable happens!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The L1D is where a lot of flashaholics started out, but if you've already discovered the D10, you'd probably be better off just going ahead and getting the Nitecore. Unless you've absolutely got to have an outdoor/nature EDC with preset modes, the D10 has pretty much every advantage over the Fenix.

I forgot to mention that the Rebel emitter Fenix lights were before they fixed the "pre-flash" bug; when turning the light on or switching modes, each mode begins at maximum output for a split second and then instantly fades down to the regulated level. Having this happen in a dark room with adjusted eyes is like having a small explosion in the room..

bigmul

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info - knew there had to be a reason why it was cheaper!

I have thought that the D10 looked to be the one to get, but though I might have been missing something on the Fenix lights.

It's funny but spending the extra tenner seems to be holding me back! Perhaps I'd better drop some subtle hints to SWMBO on what I want as a wedding anniversary gift this month! ;)

fenixflashaholic0537

Newly Enlightened
I would say the best torch would be the fenix L2D. But if you want a smaller light then the D10 is awesome. I think it's much better then the L1D. Just throw the d10 pocket clip on it.:twothumbs