recommend me some mace,oc

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You're better off with the pepper spray. Mace sold to civilians is mostly watered down junk. Some pepper sprays are like that too. Unless you're an LEO, good luck getting the good stuff.

As far as pepper spray goes, check out the larger containers of Punch II.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're better off with the pepper spray. Mace sold to civilians is mostly watered down junk. Some pepper sprays are like that too. Unless you're an LEO, good luck getting the good stuff.

What percentage would be considered useful? How's 1.0% capsaicin?

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
My advice is to get whatever cops carry--no chinese off-brands.

Sabre Red, Freeze +P, Vexor and I think Def Tec are typical cop brands. I've used Sabre Red, Cap Stun and Kimber on uncooperative suspects.

Fox has the world's best marketing, followed by Kimber. Kimber has a pretty interesting unit that really blasts the liquid out, but only gives you two shots. Better not miss (like I did). Real people turn away when they see you about to spray.

I carry Kimber off duty and Sabre Red on duty, but may get Vexor in the future.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some thoughts and opinions from my perspective:

1. Make sure it's legal to carry and use where you live, etc

2. If you use it, be honest about it. If it's legal to use, and you use it properly, reporting it won't get you in trouble (for the most part...CHECK YOUR JURISDICTION).

3. Percentage is bogus. Simply, the higher the percentage of OC in the formulation, the longer the decontamination time. Percentage has NOTHING to do with the effectiveness.

4. Look for high SHU (Scoville) units. 2-3 million should be minimum. 8 million will cause chemical like burns.

5. Stream, no fogs, no cones. Foam has been o.k.

6. Test fire a new one, and invest in an inert, training canister, also.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mace is also "ignorable" with training and has little to no effect on dogs or drunks.
Pepper spray is much better.
More is better but one million will stop almost anybody.

I have an oil based one million unit bottle that I use when cooking. Washing a spoon off with just a sheen on it under hot water makes me very aware it is there and even manly men wash their hands *before* going to the bathroom after handling the stuff.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to head off to work after I posted earlier.

Please see #3 of dano's post, above.

Yeah, but in the link posted by cosmo none of them even come close to 2 million, sounds like it would need 20% capsacin to reach that level, let along 8 million.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
With pepper spray, you have the carrier--water or alcohol usually, sometimes foam. You have Oleoresin Capsicum which is the oil from the chili peppers and you have major capsaicinoids which are the specific chemicals within the oil that burn. New products like Vexor have lab-created capsaicinoids, instead of using chili oils. New products by major manufacturers use gas chromatography to measure the major capsaicinoid content--usually in the 1-2% strength. My Kimber unit claims 2.4% major capsaicinoids.

Scoville Heat Units is the old taste test. Tasters dab the oil on their tongues and compare. Not exactly science, but not necessarily astrology either.

Everybody wants hotter spray, and manufacturers know this and try to one-up their competitors with various claims. In the real world, bad guys often have a strong tolerance to pain and are not as easily put down as most imagine.

Patriot

Flashaholic
If you're going to go the mace/pepper spray route, with all of it's faults, just don't go half way.

http://www.nwbackpack.com/products/frontiersman_bear_spray.php

Of course, YMMV.

What ever you get, buy some of those neutralizing towlettes for blowback.

I've actually used this exact type and size before on a very aggressive, large, mixed breed, dog during an incident about two years ago while hiking at a lake in Northern Arizona. I intentionally fired it early at 12-14 yards and it quickly stopped the animal which had be running, from coming any closer. I think it may have just inhaled some of the mist. I was yelling and shouting because I was stuck holding my ground at that point since when I backed away it kept equal distance. I was also carrying a glock19 that day but thankfully it didn't get to that point. The strange owner, who apparently lived out there came to call the dog off. The incident really ticked me off and after giving the guy a verbal lashing I reported the happening to the ranger. I was most concerned because there were children a couple hundred yards away who could have easily wondered down that way.

Anyhow, sorry for the long story but if size and weight aren't big issues, this unit really puts a massive volume of chemical out there. I've since emptied that unit and one more in practice. I've also use the smaller ones like the regular Saber, (black with silver or gray writing) and it works well. If you're looking for standard sizes I'd take the advice of the LEO's. Who would know what works best better than them, right!

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scoville Heat Units is the old taste test. Tasters dab the oil on their tongues and compare. Not exactly science, but not necessarily astrology either.

Not exactly. They took a measured amount then they had a measured amount of sugar water sprayed into their mouths. The number of sprays it took was the measure.