Hunter needs a new light

tjsulli790

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. I've spent the last couple hours on the internet looking for a new light and I didn't realize just how many options there are out there. I was hoping yall could help me find one that would fit my uses.

I would guess that this light would see 80% of its use while I'm on the ranch. I get out to my stand before sun up and normally have a pretty good walk in. The place I hunt is pretty infamous for rattle snakes and I've already had one run in with one before so I'd like to light up the trail the best I can. My light probably sees around 2 hrs of runtime each weekend so I'd prefer that its battery usage will last me at least a couple weekends.

The light doesn't have to disappear in my pocket I don't mind a little bulk. When not in use it'll probably spend most of it's time in my jacket pocket or in my bag. I do have a preference for Surefire as I've had good results with them in the past but I'm open to any recommendations yall have.

The two that caught my eye at first were the Surefire L5 and the E2D. I like the dual output on the E2L and the E2D but would rather have the higher output E2D. So yea I hope I gave enough info to help me out, I know there's probably a lot of lights out there I don't know about so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yep get the TK-20 i hunt and camp all the time Best light i have used in the woods.Great throw very warm tint so the colors you see look like they should.The tint also helps cut through fog and morning mist better then regular leds and it's a 2XAA so batteries wont be a problem. Hell i think i just talked myself into buying another one for myself:twothumbs

Arthur D

Newly Enlightened
I think you are on the right path with that size model Surefire. They are hard to beat.

I hunt a lot also and look for "warm" tinted leds. I find the cheaper lights throw a cold tint (blue/white) that causes me to misinterpret the terrain. Those tints confuse my depth perception enough that I have stepped in holes or twisted my ankle. It looks like no hole is there, or the ground is not uneven and it is.

The trade off in the past was that run-times were extreme so I used them anyway.

Try some cheaper lights as a backup to see if you agree. I always keep a cheap backup. As an example: http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-66/Romisen-RC-dsh-C3-Cree-Q5/Detail

The other issue for me has been seeing a blood trail. It has been difficult for me with a white cold LED beam (with my fenix lights). I have not found a led that renders the blood color against the ground or leaves. Maybe there is something better out there. For this reason I use an incan surefire E1E. I carry one in my pack just for this w/ at least two spare batteries in the back.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Price has absolutely nothing to do with tint. In fact, SF has quite a record of producing some of the worst puke green tinted lights available.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest a Surefire 6P or Malkoff MD2 host, and then a warm tint Malkoff drop in like the M60WL. It would give at least 4 hours of runtime at full brightness, and have a good color rendering tint too which is important to hunters.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can also recommend a good light from Dealextreme (let me know by PM if you need the link). It's only 30 bucks shipped but full speed only, just FYI.

It IS bright and runs on rechargeable 18650 batteries. Great light and cheap. I'd say it'll run at full power for a few hours and I'm very happy with mine.

Backup or primary light, your choice.

George

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a ton of great lights out there. I know my favorite for hunting is a Wolf-Eyes Raider, with a Neutral SSC emitter. The Neutral emitter makes a huge difference when it comes to outdoor lighting.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I mostly hunt deer from a tree stand with my 870. The light is needed to get setup before dawn or pack up at dusk. At times this means a hike there or back in the dark. But with the gun and maybe a deer I don't have too many hands free to hold a normal flashlight. More so if I have to setup the stand.

100_9941.jpg

So I use a headlamp. Ordered a TK20 and if I like the tint and throw I may pack that along for the hunt. Could save me some walking around in the bush looking for a shot deer. Sometimes even with good placement they can cover some ground.

3rd Degree

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend that whatever light you get has a warm tint. A dark colored snake is harder to see with a cooler tint.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the new Eagletac T100C2 it has two settings general and turbo. It can run off either 2xCr123 or 1x18650 rechargeable battery for over 2.5 hours on high. Its has alot of throw and great flood, use the CPF search function and you will see alot good stuff about it. I would also suggest getting the Eagletac holster to make it easier, and since your doing alot of walking get the lanyard to, all can be found here. https://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=152-154-6689

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Price has absolutely nothing to do with tint. In fact, SF has quite a record of producing some of the worst puke green tinted lights available.

Tint lottery is independent of quality

:sigh: back in luxeons days a W bin is the highest you can go before you can snag an X bin...and yet there are YA tints in W bins:eek:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I noticed Zebralight is picking better tints (WD but don't know) even for their Q5's. Somehow I feel that is part of quailty to help aviod nasty green or angry blue.

Edit. I hate angry blue for the woods so wouldn't want a hunting light with this tint.

Last edited:

Storogoth

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend the new Eagletac T100C2 it has two settings general and turbo. It can run off either 2xCr123 or 1x18650 rechargeable battery for over 2.5 hours on high. Its has alot of throw and great flood, use the CPF search function and you will see alot good stuff about it. I would also suggest getting the Eagletac holster to make it easier, and since your doing alot of walking get the lanyard to, all can be found here. https://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=152-154-6689

+1 Got mine a few days ago and I'm impressed with the output, quality, construction and price <$40. :thumbsup:

Arthur D

Newly Enlightened

I "assumed" that the more expensive surefire LED lights would naturally have better tented lights designed for the outdoors.

The E1L is called the outdoorsman and costs a premium. I assumed that they lights were tweaked exactly for this kind of use. ?

No?

You guys are bursting my bubble.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I "assumed" that the more expensive surefire LED lights would naturally have better tented lights designed for the outdoors.

The E1L is called the outdoorsman and costs a premium. I assumed that they lights were tweaked exactly for this kind of use. ?

No?

You guys are bursting my bubble.

Nope. Sorry. To get true "premium" flux and tint bins, you need to buy from someone who actually sells them that way, such as Fenix, NiteCore, etc.

luckee

Newly Enlightened
I'm no expert on lights but I can tell you what works for me. As a hunting light I use a P60 host with a cree drop-in. Also, I have a Blue flip lens cover that I picked up at Cabela's. This blue lens works great for tracking and if you need more light to search the field you can just flip the lens for natural light. BTW the P60 host that I use was also purchased at Cabela's. Hope this helps.

loanshark

Enlightened
I'm wanting a TK20, bad! If I was a hunter/ in the woods at night allot, I'd already have one... I do a bit of night hiking from time to time and I think the warmer tint of this light would help some.

tjsulli790

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys that TK20 is awful tempting, I'll probably snatch one up. Now all I got to do is wait for hunting season.