I want to buy a U.V light..... which one?

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really only need it to check for a leak in my AC on my car, but figure its a good tool to have anyway,

i did search but 2007 threads were found?

anyone know which of the 'off the shelf' uv lights is a good one?

$30-$50 ?

siklops

Newly Enlightened
I have and use both the inova x5 uv and the arc uv. The inova puts out much more light, making it easier to spot ac leaks, or any other uv dyes for automotive use.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a photon freedom micro with UV led for <$20.

That should be sufficient for finding a leak under the hood.

LightScene

Enlightened
Put this search string in eBay "uv LED Flashlight 375" - I have one of these and I like it. Most UV flashlights use higher wavelengths which are more purplish. If you want to save some money, substitute "385nm" for 375.

jeeves

Newly Enlightened
I found a cheapy at ACE/DG hardware.

It's labeled NEBO (should read, NEOB; not equal or better than anything)

It's got 3 'modes'

First is a few (I think 5-7) UV LED.
The second is those LED with 8-12 white LED (this is 'regular' mode)
And the third is a red lazer diode.

There's even a dinky little compass on the tail end.
Almost forgot, it's a mid-body forward clicky.

I wouldn't want to EDC it, but if I only needed to occasionally check a few things (A/C leaks, hotel sheets, etc.)...

I Think it was ~$14.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
What range will easily cause eye damage?

Pretty much any wavelength of sufficient strength and duration can harm your eyes. You wouldn't look into an ordinary bright flashlight, so don't do it with a UV one.

Shorter wavelength UV can be very dangerous, such as those in the 250-320 range. They are energetic enough to be ionizing radiation. The UV A LEDs are not as dangerous, but a long dose of the proper amount could be harmful. As long as you don't stare into the beam, you should be safe.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UVA's are dangerous if you stare directly into them. But no more dangerous than watching the setting sun I think. The issue is surface brightness, even UVA and deep blue light can cause eye damage with enough intensity and prolonged exposure. An incidental glance or whatnot isn't a big deal. The 385-395 led's work well for leak spotting, they're the highest output UV leds and tend to fluoresce automotive fluids and trace fluids better because of sheer intensity. The 375's I think are better in terms of wavelength and reactivity, but right now they're expensive and lack the power of the higher wavelength leds.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the Streamlight Stylus UV (~$25)to search for scorpions when I was in Iraq...nice light, and the same size as a pen, so it'll fit in any pen pouches you have on your shirt, etc.