For comparison, what are the lumens and runtime for a standard Maglite?

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
A quick search of the forums did not find this data.
So, what is your average Maglite's runtime and lumens?
I posted this in LED, becasue the point is to compare it to current LED technology.

CampingLED

Enlightened
I think you need to be more specific. Maglite makes many lights with and without LED and the runtime and lumens vary per light. So does most flashlight manufacturers.

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
Maglite 3C
76 Lumens 5 hours

That is about what a 2 CR123 Cree LED light will do, correct?

HKJ

Flashaholic
A quick search of the forums did not find this data.
So, what is your average Maglite's runtime and lumens?
I posted this in LED, becasue the point is to compare it to current LED technology.

I can not tell you any of the above, but Maglite has a specsheet for their lights: http://www.maglite.com/images/lamps_dcell.jpg

Just remember that incandescent lights does not have constant output (With a very few exceptions).

I have a beamshot here that includes a 6D and a couple of led lights.
http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/12 beamshoots UK.html

Marduke

Flashaholic
Mag lumen specs are peak bulb lumens. Real typical lumens are approximately half of what they claim.

Given the same power source, LED's have over ten times the efficacy. That means they can be 10 times brighter, or run 10 times longer, or somewhere in between.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are also hard to compare because of tints. The Fenix LOD on high is rated at like 70 lumens, but compared to my friends 2xAA mag which is rated much dimmer, they seem about the same. Still this is comparing a 1xAAA light to a 2xAA light.

Marduke

Flashaholic
http://www.maglite.com/images/lamps_ccell.jpg
Well, I don't believe everything I read, but I do not know what the more realistic figures would be, and that says 5 hours for the 3C. It sure seems long to me. I seem to remember more like 1 hour. Has someone on here done a test with more real world results that we can use to compare?

Well, without much digging, go with this:
3D uses the same bulb, and is rated the same as the 3C, at 76.8 lumens. Keep in mind that is peak bulb lumens. OTF lumens are about 60% of that, and output falls like a rock.

3D claims 9-10 hours, real runtime to 50% is 1:02. A modern 2xAA LED light can whoop that in both brightness AND runtime (at the same time).

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There isn't any one relevant lumen number for a stock incan Mag because of how quickly it sags/declines; you're looking at 50% output in literally about one hour - that's fast enough that a reading from a light meter will be notably different every few minutes.