Best battery combo/arrangement for 4D Maglite conversion

tolkaze

Enlightened
Just picked up another 4d Maglite to play with, and have my eyes set on a Malkoff P7 dropin (I already have the P4, and love it, will love the floody mag too) this will probably end up in my truck as an emergency flashlight.

I originally had my sights set on a 2D (or maybe a 3D/C) with 2x 18650's to drive the P7 but cheapest I could get a 2D for locally was about 3 times what I just paid for a new 4D (3 watt LED version) so now i'm looking for a battery layout that would also work (I don't wanna drive the unit too hard, but don't want to spend hundreds on a solution)

So far ideas are 3aa to D battery packs with a few spacers (maybe 9xaa to 3D with a dummy D cell) or 2-3 18650's with a dummy spacer of some kind? nothing is easily obtainable around here, so need ideas, and possibly links to purchase from if possible

Edit: Probably looking at 3x 18650's in a tube with a spacer... even when hot off the charger at 4.2 volts, 3 of them will only be about 12.6v (just under the 13v ceiling) Where can I get an 18650 sized spacer? or what else could I use that would be safe?

Edit 2: As for the P7 over something like the TLE-300, there is no specific reason, I have seen the quality of Gene's workmanship, and am very happy to pay the extra money for a quality product, If the TLE-300 was better I would consider it, but from what I have read, less heat sinking, and the only redeeming quality it has is the triple head... looks pretty swanky

Last edited: