Why Titanium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonrider657

Newly Enlightened
It seems like a lot of people here are excited about Titanium lights. Why?

Titanium is more dense than aluminum (making for a heavier light) and it is not very attractive in its natural state. What's the point?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titanium and carbon fiber are the next gen exotic materials. As soon as they start making flashlights with carbotanium parts, all my money will be gone.

sparkysko

Enlightened
Titanium I can understand. Making any flashlight exterior parts out of carbon fiber is just stupid. It's not that exotic, you can buy 4 miles of 1/4" carbon fiber tow for 50$ on ebay. There's nothing I can think of where it would be beneficial to use it, aside from perhaps making a very lightweight flashlight body that will quickly scratch.

It made me cringe to see this beautiful pocket flashlight out of titanium, and then superfluous carbon fiber was attached to the exterior.

benben_stone

Enlightened
It seems like a lot of people here are excited about Titanium lights. Why?

Titanium is more dense than aluminum (making for a heavier light) and it is not very attractive in its natural state. What's the point?

The point is that Ti is probably the most sensuous, tactile metal there is.

When you hold it in your hand, it warms quickly & actually seems to soften under touch.

Al on the other hand is purely functional, where Ti is both functional & beautiful at the same time.

Let's face it, some of us will go out of our way for a Ti light & others won't.

That's what makes this forum so entertaining!

lovecpf

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
when is the mod gonna close this?
there's another thread with the EXACT same title, there's a search function for a reason.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that's got to be the most biased opinion of titanium I've ever heard. Titanium feels warm to the touch because it does not conduct heat very well which means the surface will warm to your body heat unlike aluminum which will conduct heat away from your hand making it feel cold. Titanium is not that exotic a metal it's just harder to work with and not ideally suited to flashlights.

Personally I think it's a bunch of hype kinda like white gold but I wouldn't even feel comfortable telling women that what they see isn't even white gold, it's rhodium plating. Not nearly as romantic. And I've even said you can't tell white gold from silver, and brought out my jewelry samples of white gold and rhodium plated silver and no one could reliably tell which was which, hell even I needed my loupe just to be able to tell because the silver is stamped 925. So I know it's all in their heads much the same as titanium flashlights' superiority :whistle:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that's got to be the most biased opinion of titanium I've ever heard. Titanium feels warm to the touch because it does not conduct heat very well which means the surface will warm to your body heat unlike aluminum which will conduct heat away from your hand making it feel cold. Titanium is not that exotic a metal it's just harder to work with and not ideally suited to flashlights.

ouch.

how about.... it's shiney? :drool:dent/scratch resistant?
and polishes up well, and can be anodized easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.