Seaching for new 1xAA light

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok

I've given my Fenix L1D to one my sisters, oh the things they talk me out of. Anyway I'm looking for a new 1xAA light to meet the following specs:
*> 100 lumens
*Good water handling
*Can handle Lithium, 14500 & NiMH cells
*And not to heavy for a key chain

Ok guys, what's hot and what's not?

chiphead

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good number of them fit the requirements. As for the last point, perhaps an EZ AA R2 might fit the role although I hardly see AA lights for keychain duty.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you carry the L1D on your key chain? If so you could just get a LD10 but you may want to wait and see if that model gets the R2 like the PD30.

Like Zeruel mentioned maybe a EZ AA or maybe a Lumapower Connexion X2 could be another option.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
My choice for a 1AA would be an EagleTac P10A. I'm just not sure about carrying it on a keychain. My keychain lite, while being a 1AA is far from 100 lumens. I sport a Gerber Infinity Ultra on my Keychain with the P10A in my pocket.

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
I have been carry Jetbeam CLE 1.2 on my keychain for about 2 years. It's one of the smallest AA light (the 2.0 version is longer) before EZ AA.
DSC_5215.JPG

DSC_5218.JPG

Personally I prefer AA over AAA if the AA is not too big.
There are lots of AA light meet your specs, but light on keychain can have lots of scratches.
DSC_5427.JPG

DSC_5428.JPG

Compare to 2 years ago
DSC_3528.jpg

I think other lights could done worse after 2 years on keychain -- especially black ones.

Last edited:

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you carry the L1D on your key chain? If so you could just get a LD10 but you may want to wait and see if that model gets the R2 like the PD30.

Like Zeruel mentioned maybe a EZ AA or maybe a Lumapower Connexion X2 could be another option.
Great...what's the R2?

chiphead

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The only new AA that seems to meet your needs would be the EZAA. For me it's still too big for a keychain, but for you it might be fine. I wish the low was lower, so if this is important maybe a different light is in order.

Geoff

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great...what's the R2?

chiphead

Its a new(er) LED from Cree most of the recent Fenix light's have the Q5 led.
The R2 is slightly brighter and more efficient, not by alot though some lights now are coming with even newer LED emitters with the R4 and R5. The R2 is usually only 10-20 lumens brighter depending on the light and manufacturer but the R4 and R5 seem to be a more significant jump in brightness.

I think the R2 is more efficient than the Q5 so it can be driven harder for more output while maintaining good runtime.

I'm not positive on that there is more knowledgeable folks on here then me that can answer more clearly. I would expect to see a LD10 with a R2 soon though. Good luck

henry1960

Enlightened
I just recieved my Jet 1 Pro V3 R-2 And Love It. Packed with its 14500 Battery And Its Throw and Three Progamable Modes Makes This A Great EDC!!!

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
R2 is the newer cree led emitter with little more output. the r2s are coming slowly to mass market now and very likely fenix also upgrades their lights to them by end of year or so.

for keychain use i also think that AA is too big. but thats personal thought. so i rather would tell you to look for cheap AAA: like itp eos (maybe in stainless).

going for nitecore ezaa is not a bad idea tho. i think its still the smallest AA light sold.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My brother had an L1D and replaced it with the EZAAw I sent him, then sold the L1D. Since the L1D doesn't actually have a low setting, the two levels on the EZAA are a good replacement, especially with it's smaller dimensions.

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight H50, H501 should be shorter than EZ AA, although they are bigger in diameter.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The R2 is slightly brighter and more efficient, not by alot though some lights now are coming with even newer LED emitters with the R4 and R5. The R2 is usually only 10-20 lumens brighter depending on the light and manufacturer but the R4 and R5 seem to be a more significant jump in brightness.

I think the R2 is more efficient than the Q5 so it can be driven harder for more output while maintaining good runtime.

I'm not positive on that there is more knowledgeable folks on here then me that can answer more clearly. I would expect to see a LD10 with a R2 soon though. Good luck

Don't confuse LED models with flux bins.

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened

I don't know about the Luma? I have a incendio and a connexion and both no longer work. They have a weird problem with the threads? sent back for repair and still don't work. Be careful.

good luck.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been carry Jetbeam CLE 1.2 on my keychain for about 2 years. It's one of the smallest AA light (the 2.0 version is longer) before EZ AA.
DSC_5215.JPG

DSC_5218.JPG

Personally I prefer AA over AAA if the AA is not too big.
There are lots of AA light meet your specs, but light on keychain can have lots of scratches.
DSC_5427.JPG

DSC_5428.JPG

Compare to 2 years ago
DSC_3528.jpg

I think other lights could done worse after 2 years on keychain -- especially black ones.
Slick!

chiphead

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast

And I thought I was keeping up with this stuff!