Looking for a budget floody compact light

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Convinced the girlfriend that she needs a flashlight in her home :naughty: but she doesnt want to spend more than $60 she already thinks thats too expensive for a flashlight :crackup: . Its just going to be for in the house use so im (I mean her :laughing:) looking for something really floody that would light up a room, maybe with a diffuser if possible. Havent really found anything so far. I like the output and beam of the Malkoff M60F but with a host it would be close to $100 if I wanted 2 modes. Prefer a 2x CR123 or 1x 18650 configuration. But would want at least ~150 lumens. Anything come to mind? :candle:

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
solarforce l2 and mce drop in from dx fits under 60$ limit if you are ready to use the li-ion battery technology. (which i dont suggest using for "normal" people.. stick with AA AAA and c/d batteries)

with mce there is wide beam and bright. with L2 r2 or q5 dropin that comes with most of the solarforces i have seen the output really is plenty for indoor use.

actually indoors in dark. well you dont need much power. 50lm is plenty. (to me its actually too much after dark, even when ceiling bounced.. if i need more, i aim it! hah)

so something with 150lm is b.r.i.g.h.t! (heck i use medium or high in my quark aa everywhere in and out..not the highest!)

simplest would to pick aa or 2aa light for her.. and then pick a diffuser for it or make one yourself. (hmm fenix offers good options and diffusers and wands too)

if truly only needed when indoors.. 1aa is fine if it can tailstand (putting it on the table pointing at the ceiling). if needed for longer times holding it (walks with dog or jogging etc) then the longer frame of 2aa light is more convinient to handle in my mind.. and it also offers better runtime too.

for true handy indoor use.. pick something like zebralight h50 or h501. its total flood light. 1aa easy to use and very small size too. can be used as headlamp for hands free work (but i mostly used it with pocket clip or without any of the sleeves)

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new MagLED puts out around 140 lumens on 2 D cells. If you have a Costco card you can get the 3D version and a 2AA version packaged together with batteries for around $30. The little 2AA light probably puts out close to 130 lumens and the 3D probably puts out closer to 150 lumens. I'd say keep the 3D for yourself and give her the 2AA :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think a small light would be better for her, so she can keep it on her keychain or something and always have a light on her.

I'm actually thinking that a Nitecore EZ AA could work. Small, simple, AA powered.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Convinced the girlfriend that she needs a flashlight in her home :naughty: but she doesnt want to spend more than $60 she already thinks thats too expensive for a flashlight :crackup: . Its just going to be for in the house use so im (I mean her :laughing:) looking for something really floody that would light up a room, maybe with a diffuser if possible. Havent really found anything so far. I like the output and beam of the Malkoff M60F but with a host it would be close to $100 if I wanted 2 modes. Prefer a 2x CR123 or 1x 18650 configuration. But would want at least ~150 lumens. Anything come to mind? :candle:

-$60 max
-Flood
-Enough light to light a moderate sized room
-18650 or 2xCR123
-2 Modes

DX-MCE drop in, its 3 modes, 150L and 350L separated by a strobe.
Solarforce 18650 host.
Together that should run you $50.

Option-B
Malkoff M30F
Cheap DX host

You can turn any light into a pure flood with a layer of scotch tape over the lens.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is just for around the house 150 lumens sounds like alot. For a nice compact flood light I would recommend the fenix E20 or the romisen rc-29. The duracel daylite 160 lumen might also be good if you really want that extra power. If you want something more compact the romisen rc-29 is 1xaa or you could also maybe get her a zebralight, pure flood. Not as bright as you requested though.

Looking at your post again I realize I missed some of you requirements. Maybe the cr123 version of the duracell daylite, but its not 2 modes. Hmm, I'm not sure then.

Last edited:

rumme

Newly Enlightened
Can I ask why you would prefer a battery requirment of 2-cr123a batteries , instead of AA batterys ?

AA batterys are less expensive, more common and rechargeable AA batteries can now sit for a year or more, without losing their charge { Eneloops }

Jason_Tx

Newly Enlightened
In a dark house

Romisen RC-N3 Warm white from shiningbeam--

$23 -- get 2 its more than enough light and is a beautiful creamy white
Can use 1Xcr123 or 2XAA the 2AA would probably be best for her

I bought one in the gray/blue color -- wife stole it and loves it.

RC-N3WWGRAY1.jpg

rumme

Newly Enlightened
If you are needing a light that would light up a room efficeintly...then you may want to make sure any light you purchase, doesnt have the on/off push switch on the bottom of the light housing. This feature makes it hard to sit the light on a table vertically and shine the light on the celing to help illuminate the room/ house.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to suggest from reading your comments that maybe she needs 2 lights. The good news is that lights with good flood can be relatively inexpensive.

My favorite high quality light with a flood beam is the Inova X5. It uses a pair of CR123's, but it is a compact size for that battery capacity. There are lots of cheap lights available at retail stores that have flood beams, usually you can tell them because they have quite a few LED's instead of just one.

For keychain use it is a bit harder. I have a cheap LED light that uses a single AAA battery and it puts out good light, but its still a bit large for a keychain. One of the best good small lights is the Fenix P1 and it isn't very expensive. You can find smaller and cheaper at retail stores, but they are not made very well and they don't put out much light. Of course if they break then you can buy another one, since they're cheap.

As for lighting up a room- some lights will stand on their end like a candle. The ones that don't can still be used, just stand them upright in a drinking glass.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife like's using the Fenix PD20, she is not into flashlights at all and prefers not to do any mode changing or head twisting so whatever light comes out the first time she turns it on is what she uses. So I just tighten the head down to turbo and leave it like that for her. She uses it around the house and in her purse.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
To be honest, she would lose the tiny ones like the P1D. And also I have heaps of CR123's and some 18650 batteries already so it would be easier for me. I feel the 2AA batteries are just too long. Also as someone mentioned she doesnt like the twisty lights. Which I agree, to work my P1D you have to twist on and off like 3 times to get the low low mode.

Im going to do some more research on that DX drop in since ive gotten several suggestions on it.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
Duracell Daylite 2xCR123
Two modes (On & off :kiss:)
Regulated Circuit-
Good run time
BRIGHT! 160 Lumens
Water Resistant
Lifetime GUARANTEE
http://www.duracell.com/products/guarantee.asp
About $31.55 shipped http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FU6KEI/?tag=cpf0b6-20
5 1/2" long (fits easily in purse or jacket)
Reverse clicky
Can tail stand
Reputable company- Can be trusted
Nice Looking
Sturdy anodized aluminum.
Comes WITH 2 CR123 batteries
Cut out the threads of a gallon milk jug cap- fits great! Looks decent. (Different color milk jug caps make nifty filters too! Red is great by the bedside)

This pic is of my shed from 66 feet away. The Daylite is more than bright enough and (floody) to light up a room.
Daylite%20160%2011-16.JPG

Daylite%20160b.jpg

Window%20Cap.jpg

Last edited:

MKLight

Enlightened
For a small, floody light, check out Peak LEDs lights. They're coming out with several - you may need to call them - but definitely check out the Eiger with a wide beam...pure flood...and you can got from about 1 lumen to 100. It's a single mode only for now - the Peak thread mentioned there will be additional modes offered soon...soon = ???. That's a AAA light, but they do have some new AA and CR123/RCR123 models, too.

Good luck,
MK

Roberts30

Enlightened
solarforce l2 and mce drop in from dx fits under 60$ limit if you are ready to use the li-ion battery technology. (which i dont suggest using for "normal" people.. stick with AA AAA and c/d batteries)

with mce there is wide beam and bright. with L2 r2 or q5 dropin that comes with most of the solarforces i have seen the output really is plenty for indoor use.

actually indoors in dark. well you dont need much power. 50lm is plenty. (to me its actually too much after dark, even when ceiling bounced.. if i need more, i aim it! hah)

so something with 150lm is b.r.i.g.h.t! (heck i use medium or high in my quark aa everywhere in and out..not the highest!)

+1 ;)

simplest would to pick aa or 2aa light for her.. and then pick a diffuser for it or make one yourself. (hmm fenix offers good options and diffusers and wands too)

if truly only needed when indoors.. 1aa is fine if it can tailstand (putting it on the table pointing at the ceiling). if needed for longer times holding it (walks with dog or jogging etc) then the longer frame of 2aa light is more convinient to handle in my mind.. and it also offers better runtime too.

for true handy indoor use.. pick something like zebralight h50 or h501. its total flood light. 1aa easy to use and very small size too. can be used as headlamp for hands free work (but i mostly used it with pocket clip or without any of the sleeves)

goldenlight

Enlightened
A Nuwai QIII should fit the bill. They are very inexpensive at $20, plus $5 shipping.

They have a full orange peel reflector. Has a nice hot spot, and a LOT of spill light. At 15 feet, the hotspot is about 3 feet in diameter, so it's not made for much throw.

One downside is they are Type II anodized: the finish isn't as durable as HA III is.

And, it has a reverse clicky. It works fine, but no 'momentary' capability.

And single level output.

But then, look at the price.

This is an older design light; it uses a Luxeon 3 watt emitter, so efficiency isn't as good as the newer emitters.

Use the money you save to stock up on Cr123's, or buy some rechargeables.

Claimed output is 'Up to 75 lumens' but I'd say it's probably closer to 50. Because the beam spreads out so much, it may be brighter at the emitter than what I see.

The output is a little brighter than what I need most of the time, but it's not overwhelming, even fairly close up.

For $25 shipped, it's a very, very nice flashlight, and I think it's about as 'floody' as you will find, short of using a diffuser.

You can get them here:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tm303x.html

There is an (older) review on it here:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_q-3.htm

It looks like it was written when the light was new on the market.

And, while I can't remember exactly what I paid for mine, I'm sure it was around $50; and that was probably about 6 years ago. That makes that $25 price even better.

They are no longer made in black: green or 'titanium' (grey, I would assume).

Mine has the whitest light I have ever seen from ANY LED flashlight, and the beam is perfect for my purposes.

Right now, I'm looking for a light with a similar, or better, an identical beam, with variable output, and a more efficient emitter. It's a pity that Nuwai never upgraded the QIII, because that's what I want to buy, right now.

So far, I've had no luck.

But this fills the bill for you: it's 'floody', and it's certainly affordable. And, to save on shipping costs, you can buy batteries, or rechargebles and a charger, from the same site.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
... Use the money you save to stock up on Cr123's, or buy some rechargeables.

Claimed output is 'Up to 75 lumens' but I'd say it's probably closer to 50. Because the beam spreads out so much, it may be brighter at the emitter than what I see.

:huh2:

WHT_GE8 mentioned that he had "heaps of CR123's and some 18650 batteries already" and wants "at least ~150 lumens.".

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
if its a small form factor, i.e. 1xCR123/RCR123 or 1xAA, don't get too concerned with the tailstanding, you can always just put the light in a tequila shot glass. :D

I own and really like the Romisen RC N3 warm white (though i wish it had 2 modes like the RC N3 II Q5, also from shiningbeam)

The Nitecore EX10/DX10 can tailstand (if that really is a necessity) and can generate sufficient lumens to light up a room, heck, when it was totally dark even my Fenix E01 could do it, though dimly.