"Flash Code" cure to road rage!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
\"Flash Code\" cure to road rage!

"More Lights in the News":

Interesting article about a fellow who has patented a "Flash Code" to be used to say "Please, Thank you, & I'm sorry" similar to truckers using their running lights to communicate.

He's proposed a little green light that sticks to the rear vehicle window but can be seen from the front also...

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flash Code

I already communicate like that, but the little green light they use is a really big, white spotlight for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just kidding, of course, please don't flash your flashlights at other drivers.

Anyway, i don't know if the "flash code" is a good idea, and even if it was a good idea, i don't know how effective it would be. I'm a considerate driver most of the time, and it takes A LOT to **** me off on the road, even if you cut me off or tailgate me. I usually give some warnings by either slowing down on tailgaters, or flashlight my headlights on overtakers or crazy drivers. There are a few times however when i lost my cool, a few of those times the other driver even motioned that he or she was sorry but that didn't even calm me down. I just yelled "F*** you, learn how to drive moron!"

If i'm an average driver who can moderately control his temper, i don't think a flashling green light will do much to calm down an excessivly angry driver. I think the green flashing light only works with different people/cultures.

For example, the article states that the "flash code" is effective with truck drivers and drivers in South Africa. I think they work with these people because their driving habits are much different that American driving habits. I don't know exactly how traffic is in South Africa, but if it is like the majority of other foreign contries, where a 3 lane road becomes a 6 lane mess, the connection/communication between drivers are very cordial. Everytime i visit the Philippines, i am SHOCKED at the order of traffic in the main cities (or EVERYWHERE). Cars are side to side and bumper to bumper with horns honking and brake lights flashing....and yet...nobody is angry, nobody is yelling, and everybody is calm. You start to understand that all the honking aren't blasts of anger but signals to other drivers that, "hey it's okay...you can go" or "watch out, i'm turning into your lane." It was quite humbling to see this display of courtesy in such a frantic rush of traffic. It makes you wish that US drivers were like that.
When i got back to the US, i almost had the urge to honk my horn at people, but i remembered that our horns in the US are usually used in an aggresive manner, rather than a courteous manner.

So i guess, what i'm trying to get at, is that the "flash code" will not work with the average, everyday US driver who is trying to get to work in 10 minutes doing 85 on the freeway. I think the only flashing lights that will straigten out a crazed driver are the flashing lights of a Highway Patrol Crown Victoria. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Willmore

Enlightened

The only 'flashing light' that I think would help me in my driving would be a multi KW IR CO2 gas laser that could burn holes through the other cars... Doubles as an execllent lawn care tool....

brightnorm

Flashaholic

This idea could be hazardous but effective against a really aggressive nighttime tailgater/spotlighter intent on causing you grief.

A preferred tactical light technique is multiple momentary flashes from different positions which confuses, disorients and intimidates an adversary while providing adequate
"capture time" for an officer to retain situational images.

A bright LED array mounted to your car's rear with multiple strobed flashes timed either to a disruptive brainwave frequency or to a random pattern analogous to that LEO tactical technique has the potential to cause driver disorientation or loss of vehicle control though there may also be a possibility of increased rage.

Admittedly, this approach is almost assuredly illegal, but as a defensive technique against what you perceive as a dangerous attack it may have its merits.

Brightnorm