?Serial # of first KL4 without defects?

LightChucker

Enlightened
At some point, SureFire will have fixed their manufacturing/assembly process so that they will be shipping KL4s with no problems. I would be interested to know the lowest serial number to ship that has no defects. I am not asking about those that have been repaired either by you or the factory - just those that were perfect the first time.

If your KL4 arrived without defects, and you know it has not been repaired, what is its serial number?

Thanks,

Chuck

Inverse Square

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm... Good question. As I want to buy a L4 soon this would be excellent information.
Anyone know?

avusblue

Enlightened
Seems like the Leak4 is still a little bit in "beta" or pre-release mode as the SureFire website makes no mention of it at all and it's really only been available via handpicked dealers. Hopefully, this limited distribution means the next batch will receive a more thorough attention during assembly & inspection. It probably isn't truly "up to speed" until it is released to the general public via normal channels.

I love mine!

Dave

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Chuck,

I have no idea when the units in the pipe can all be assumed as fixed but I am certain that as soon as the error in assembly was caught, not only was it addressed on the assembly line but units still in stock were likely fixed as well.

The only reason I am posting is to suggest that assigning a serial number to this issue by us as a "marker" would be likely to be a poor if not totally misleading approach. I say this because I believe the bezels are engraved in a lot and then placed as available as components for assembly. I am guessing here but doubt that the serial number indicates the order in which a particular flashlight is assembled.

As to "pre-release" or "beta", the mistake in assembly such as the omission of gaskets is presumably more likely at the beginning of a new products life in assembly but I don't think for a minute that SF intended this first production run as anything to be construed as "pre-release" or "beta". I expect that the L4 won't be on their web until inventory levels are such that dealers are covered with excess to be available for SF's own direct sales. That there may be some evolution or corrections in production are secondary and probably not at issue here. Again, this is all speculation here on my part but I am as entitled to speculation as much as the next guy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As to buying a product early in its production, one could assume the likelihood of "bugs" would be higher than when the product is more mature. I suggest to anyone who is concerned about a potential for bugs that they wait until they feel or have heard that a product can be considered mature.

Anyone expecting perfection at a first go round or even further on might be exposed on occasion to disapointment. I think this is a condition prevalant when people are part of the equation.

- Don

LightChucker

Enlightened
You make a good point, Don.

I guess I was thinking that I see manufacturers of other products assign batch numbers or lot numbers. Then when they discover defects, they send out a recall for the defective batches.

SF would have to keep track of which serial numbers were in each batch.

For example, maybe serial numbers

000001 - 000500 = batch#1
000501 - 001000 = batch#2

In each batch, they would keep accurate records of any material or procedural changes from batch-to-batch. Later, if a defect was discovered with, say serial# 000765, they would check to see if the defect was the result of something that was changed for all the units that were produced in batch#2. If so, they could limit the expense of fixing the defective products to just those in batch#2.

I da' know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Chuck

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
I believe the bezels are engraved in a lot and then placed as available as components for assembly. I am guessing here but doubt that the serial number indicates the order in which a particular flashlight is assembled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that guess.
When the battery contact area of the KL1 was redesigned the "newer" design was showing up in bezels with earlier serial numbers.

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
As to buying a product early in its production, one could assume the likelihood of "bugs" would be higher than when the product is more mature. I suggest to anyone who is concerned about a potential for bugs that they wait until they feel or have heard that a product can be considered mature.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can say that again! My parents had the misfortune to purchase one of the very first "X-body" Chevy Citations in 1979. Remember those? GM's first attempt at a front wheel drive, transverse engined, "modern" platform. 4 door hatchback that was sort of turtle shaped. Anyway, that thing was junk, and I think was recalled by GM probably 6 times. None of us having terribly good judgement, I then bought that car from them and they bought one of the first "A-body" Pontiac 6000's. Remember them? They thought they were an Audi wannabe, but they were really just pure crap. We learned . . . never buy a car until the second model year (or third, if it's GM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) of its design!

Back on topic . . . I would bet anyone buying an L4 from here on out should be getting them with gaskets. The only dealers selling them so far now know about the problem and "should" be checking each one before they ship. So spend away on this wonderful light!

Dave

Dave

CCW

Newly Enlightened
What defects are you guys talking about? Please bring me up-to date.

Thanks.

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CCW said:
What defects are you guys talking about? Please bring me up-to date.

[/ QUOTE ]

CCW,

Basically, the heads are missing gaskets and the tail switches are failing.

Chuck

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL4 no.1121 and body no.19651 are just fine. Recieved from Bulldog Enterprizes recently. Gaskets and o-rings all present and correct, passes the suck/blow test at both ends and there`s no complaints about the switch here, asides the fact that momentary-on is a little too sensitive, so I`ll have to lock it out to carry it. Other than that, great. The light colour has a degree of warmth to it, dare I say a subtle hint of apple that is noticeable during the daylight hours only, but since I`m one of the rare LED users who`s not offended by these minor tints, it doesn`t bother me. I was just pleased it wasn`t purple.

Tried drowning it, but it lived...

sfl4sink.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Chris M. said:
...asides the fact that momentary-on is a little too sensitive, so I`ll have to lock it out to carry it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My clickie is really hard to push. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif On mine you can apply a fair amount of pressure to the clickie, and it will do momentary on. You have to give it a little extra "umph" to click it on. Is it just my clickie, or do I have it on too tight or something like that?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine will switch on with a very light push, lighter than the usual SF momentary switch. It does still need a decisive push to click it into constant, but nothing I can`t cope with. My concern is the pressure of the bottom of the holster (my preferred way to carry lights like this) will be enough to light it, at least now and then when I`m sat down and it digs in to remind me it`s there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Sounds like yours may be a little firmer than most, since the light-touch momentary operation is something I`ve heard others mention a few times. Don`t know whether that`s good or bad...?

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
There seems to be quite a lot of variance in the new Z57 clickie's.

I have three and they all have varying degrees of difficulties to lock into the on position, only one of them is what I would consider "normal". It really has nothing to do with how tight it is.

All three of them have a relatively light touch for the initial momentary on, it just the "Click" that varies.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
[ QUOTE ]
Chris M. said:
...asides the fact that momentary-on is a little too sensitive, so I`ll have to lock it out to carry it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My clickie is really hard to push. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif On mine you can apply a fair amount of pressure to the clickie, and it will do momentary on. You have to give it a little extra "umph" to click it on. Is it just my clickie, or do I have it on too tight or something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one reason I like the Z52 (LOTC). You can quickly adjust the switch to your preferred level of resistance.

Brightnorm

Size15's

Flashaholic
Chuck,

The Z52 and Z57 are both TailCaps for the E Series. They are interchangeable.

SureFire, or your friendly SureFire Dealer are good places to get hold of these.

Al

LightChucker

Enlightened
Good idea, Size15s.

I went over to the SureFire web site, but the search did not return any hits on either the Z52 or Z57. Do you think they will sell these by phone order?

Chuck