Mag failed me stories

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to start a thread on Mag and the times that they let you down. Anyone care to share your experiences?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's only one time for me. They failed me miserably when they served Arc Flashlights LLC a lawsuit. I will never ever buy another Gag light and will encourage others that I know to never buy a product made by Mag. I still have four Mags lying around here, debating what to do with them now since I want to purge my household of anything made by Mag. Maybe I'll go buy four more Arc LS's and mail the Mags back to Mag with a letter stating my distaste for their actions. Just don't want to get anyone in trouble, especially Arc.

CM

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
CM,

I would suggest donating them to some of the modders here at CPF, although M*g-lites are generally a POS, the bodies are good for modding.

If you donate it to a modder, then you effectively prevent a new M*glite sale. I'm thinking of doing that myself. I use my 4D as a standard to show people just how lousy a big light can be [like when compared to an E2e].

Just offer them for free on B/S/T to anybody that is willing to pay for the shipping.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never had a Mag fail me. They are good lights, not at all a POS, in my opinion.

I have this notion, that all of us flashaholics thought Mags were the best light going, until LEDs and surefires etc., came along. I know I did.

For what they are, they are good lights. I don't have anything good to say about the litigious nature of the company, and their bogus assault on arc.

jtice

Flashaholic
CM,,,
Yep, Modding is the answer. I've always hated the light output of all the Mag products. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

I have a 5W Mag Mod in the process.

I protest by,,, ripping the guts out of M*gs, and replacing them with cool Bright LED mods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
I have this notion, that all of us flashaholics thought Mags were the best light going ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that was true at one time, but frankly I see no real difference in the M*g-lites that I bought 15 years ago and the ones they sell today, except in the old days they only came in black and now they are multi-colored.

The M*gcharger may be the only exception [innovation] in over a decade.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice,

He he, modding sounds like the way to go. I should just go buy a few BB drop-ins, means more flashlights for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If I had the funds to throw out, I would mod one of these Gag lights and send it back to Mag, telling them if they didn't spend so much time and money litigating, they could be innovating. Though it seems like a waste to send a perfectly good BB drop-in to Maglite. They probably wouldn't recognize the elegance of using a regulated LED in one of their own products. But then again, maybe $35 isn't so much to try to get my point across /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

CM

jtice

Flashaholic
CM,

LOL,,, it wouldnt be worth sending Mag a 35 Cent part.
Some ******* in the mail room would take it home. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Ross

Enlightened
I was using a mag 3D one night, I had seen two guys on a roof (I am a police officer) and I had made my way to the top of the building to look for them, I had my partner wait at the bottom of the building in case they came down the sides (by the pipes etc). I should mention that I was also in possession of a Surefire G2 but I had the mag out in case the guys decided to have a go at me - I use it as a baton...have actually used it as a baton a few times....but when i got to the top of the roof, the batteries decided to fail...so I whipped out the G2 and of course, it illuminated the whole roof and the guys on it. I couldn't use the SF to threaten them with but they complied with my instructions so I think they thought that my SF was a Mag and if they didnt comply, they would get whacked with it.....mags do have their uses............

Ross

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
...it wouldnt be worth sending Mag a 35 Cent part.
Some ******* in the mail room would take it home. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Worker in the mail room: "Ooh, ooh, one of those dat2zip BB drop-in's I read about in CPF. Now this is a *real* flashlight..." (looks around to make sure no one's observing him, slips it into back pocket).

Yeah, I think I see your point.

CM

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ross,

I think your story is the type of story this thread was supposed to elicit. My apologies to Lubkuecher for turning this into a mag bashing thread. I'll crawl back into my cubby hole now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

CM

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i got a funky switch on a mag 5d a while ago...

caused me to rip out the 5w rb emitter i popped in...ruining it in the process /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM

No apologies needed. I really wanted to know about how good Mag's customer service is. To make it interesting maybe some people can share times when their Mag light died or didn't perform the way you needed it to. In a flashlight forum I think there could be some interesting stories.

Take for instance, I remember a time when I was in the middle of the road when my car died. So, I pulled out my Mag to stop a car: The light was so yellow that the person in the car thought it was a caution light, didn't stop so I spent the next year in the hospital. (Example, and not a true story for me anyway) Get the idea?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well I think this thread needs Darell's short "Uh Oh" video. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
don't want to spoil it for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hopefully someone will come along with the file soon...

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
I used to carry Solitaire on my keychain but now I carry LED light of some sort (PT Eclipse at the moment). Solitaire often refused to turn on so that I was forced to open it up and clean the terminals (on both the head and battery) in the field to correct the probelm.

My Mag 3D went out for no reason several years before. I didn't drop the light and the bulb saw less than an hour of use.