Pelican m6 vs. e2e: which one do I buy???????

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif
okay, i've been on this board for about 2 weeks and have finally narrowed down the choices to the m6 and e2e. i've read about mr bulk's mod for the m6 and a possible kl4 for the e2e. i know that the m6 is brighter than the e2e but i'm looking for lamp reliability and future mod capabilities...also the e2e is twice the price.

if you guys had a flashlight to carry for work to complement the streamlight sl-20x, what would you carry???
(i'm hoping to leave the sl-20x in the car most of the time)

paulr

Flashaholic
The E2e is a better choice for EDC carry because it's much smaller and lighter than the M6. In other regards (with the incandescent heads) they are about equal. The McModule LED mod for the M6 is better than the L4 for non-momentary use because the M6's larger mass means it won't overheat from the LED's heat dissipation. You can only run an L4 for a few minutes at a time if that, before it gets awful hot.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Ducati said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif
okay, i've been on this board for about 2 weeks and have finally narrowed down the choices to the m6 and e2e. i've read about mr bulk's mod for the m6 and a possible kl4 for the e2e. i know that the m6 is brighter than the e2e but i'm looking for lamp reliability and future mod capabilities...also the e2e is twice the price.

if you guys had a flashlight to carry for work to complement the streamlight sl-20x, what would you carry???
(i'm hoping to leave the sl-20x in the car most of the time)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ducati,

Since reliability and potential modabilty appear to be your main criteria rather than brightness, size or weight, you should know that the PM's bulb is rated for extraordinarily long life.

The highest figure I've seen is over 200 hours, but 75 hours appears to be the accepted spec. That is significantly longer than any other bulb with which I'm familiar. Even if it was only 50 hrs it would be nearly twice as long as most bulbs and nine or ten times as long as some , such as the Scorpion.

When it comes to shock resistance the MN03 is generally considered a very tough performer, but I'm not aware of any impact test results with the PM6. As has been pointed out both lights are moddable but Paulr makes a good point about the PM6's greater mass permitting more ambitious mods than the E2E.

Your question about a preferred light for work implies EDC, and many Flashaholics EDC multiple lights. I'd like to post an "EDC chart" I posted a while back which you might find usesful.

EDC CHART
This is my EDC list organized into functional groups with runtime an integral part of the mix. Since I rotate my EDC lights according to mood and circumstances, I mix and match between groups, a kind of Chinese Restaurant approach. Because I regard EDC as being prepared for an unexpected situation of unknown duration I always have spare batteries (in cellphone case) and never carry less than 14 hours worth of light, and usually more. I always carry lights from groups 2, 4 & 5 and often carry lights from groups 1 and 4.

Here is one example of a minimal EDC, which is virtually undetectable and compatible with business attire.

Group 2 – E2/MNO3 (Rear pocket, 2 hrs with battery change)
Group 4 – ARC LS 2AA (In MAG 2AAA holster, 6 hours)
Group 5 - ARC AAA & PHOTON II on keyring, 6 hrs)

Total Runtime – 14 hours

Here are the groups from which I select my EDC. Listed by function:

GROUP 1: VERY BRIGHT/ SHORT RUN/ BELT-HOLSTERED
Pelican M6, ASP Taclite, TACM III

GROUP 2: BRIGHT/ SHORT RUN/ REAR POCKET CARRY
E2/MNO3

GROUP 3: MEDIUM BRIGHT/ MODERATE RUN/ POCKET OR BELT-HOLSTERED
UK Mini Q40, 4AA, 2L, Tek 40

GROUP 3A: MEDIUM BRIGHT/ SHORT RUN/ POCKET CARRIED
SF L4*

GROUP 4: MEDIUM DIM/ LONG RUN/ BELT-HOLSTERED
UBH/KL1, E2KL1, ARC LS 2AA (lith), ARC LSH-P 2AA (lith)

GROUP 5: DIM/ SHORT- MED SHORT RUN/ KEYRING
ARC AAALe, Photon II

Note: There are some well regarded lights missing from this list, including all the standard size Surefire 2x123's, the SL Scorpion, E2-E-O/MNO2, ARC LS 123, E1/KL1 and others.

That is because I have narrowly defined my categories and my requirements. The SureFire 6P and its offspring are superior lights that are bright but not "very" bright compared to the three exceptional long-throw lights mentioned in my list. Although a standard bezel P60 is somewhat brighter and better focused than an MN03, the role of a "reasonably bright" 2x123 is adequately played by the E2 series with MN03 so the immediate need for a standard 2x123 is much reduced.

Group three excludes the E2-E-O with MN02 (among others) because its runtime is significantly shorter than others in that group and it lacks the divelight submersibility of the other lights. Both the ARC LS/123, E1/KL1 and various small mods, including minimag AA's are excluded because of relatively short runtime compared to other members of group 4. The Lamba Illuminator may "qualify" for Group 4 subject to a runtime reevaluation.

I rated the L4 (Group three A) as medium bright because despite its 5W the beam is widely dispersed and not nearly as focused as the "bright" lights, even in its hotspot. If the L4's total light energy were focused in a narrower beam it would no doubt qualify as "bright".

Brightnorm

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
The M6 is HUGE compared with the E2e but like you said, you'll pay twice the price for it.

The E2e can use the 25lm lamp, 60lm lamp, KL1, KL4, Clickie, has Pyrex, HAIII finish, pocket clip, and did I mention small?

You can get a Brinkmann LX for $13.99 right now at Sports Authority and it's just as bright.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really plan on getting a 5w for either consider the warrantee Surefire's is unbeatable and the Mod does not have one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Byron Walter

Enlightened
The E2e with the KL1 makes a great walking-around-in-the-dark light. In fact I prefer the E2e with the KL1 to the incandescant option. The price is nasty but I think that over the long haul you will be happy with the E2e system.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to say, as both would have great modularity to them.

The PM6 mod makes for anything from a 1Wer to a 5Wer, in any color variant you desire, as you can basically make your own dropin (or have the option to, hopefully)...

The E2e route can host the MN02/03s, the KL1 or KL4, and with the help of an E2C joint, another tree branch of upgrade...

If I was forced to choose, considering the way the L4 reacts to the 5Wer heating up (and I'd pick for the route of the LEDs), I'd go the route of the beefier PM6...

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
thanks everyone, especially brightnorm, for your detailed responses...

i think i'll go with the m6 because it's cheaper (it's not half the price 'cause i need to change out the switch and lens; i need a momentary/constant clickie; also need extra cash 'cause i'm going to buy the rechargeable lithiums from pila) and i'll wait for my bulk's mod to be available to the public.

so i'll be carrying an Arc AAAle (which is freakin violet-blue; have to return to Arc for replacement), M6, and the sl-20x in the car...hopefully i'll be okay...

thanks guys....this is the best forum on the internet.

****EDIT****
just bought the m6 from brightguy.