best single cr123 for $100 or less

memphisjim

Newly Enlightened
new guy here (only led flashlight ive owned is the 5 dollar 9 bulb jobber from homedepot)
any way i want a decent flashlight
it looks like the cr123 far out performs aa batteries

i guess ill give usage want great all around flashlight
i want it to have a pocket clip
i want it bright as possible
durable
great warranty
if its not much bigger i could go with the 2 cr123 models
lets make 100 dollars max price definately not over 150

ive been reading on here and have come across quark brand it seems cool
are its lumens accurate? they out do those super expensive lights it so

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
the quarks are awesome, especially for the price. i have the 123-2 R5. its rated at 230 lumens, but seems to be brighter than my olight m20, and jetbeam RRT-0 rated at 250, and 240 lumens. and that is because 4sevens is listing OTF lumens, and not emitter lumens.

definitely check out the quarks, the 123-2 is only 4.5 inches, less than 1 inch in diameter, has a strong clip, and is very bright! and 4sevens has a 10 year warranty for their quarks.

cr123a has every advantage over AA, except that AAs are far more common.

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
If you choose an AA light that allows you to use the rechargeable 14500 battery (same size as an AA ditto) than you have the best of both worlds: the greater brightness and better run times of the LiIon and the convenience of being able to find a cheap battery just about anywhere if the need to do so does arise. This cannot be said for the CR123 family of batteries (rechargeable or otherwise). The Quarks I can recommend, I own most of them in both battery formats. An AA Quark + a recharger with a couple 14500 batteries should be around $100 and should give you years of good lighting for just pennies a day (using rechargeables is soooo much cheaper in the long run and environmentally friendly as well). I would recommend, though, that you spend some time learning about LiIon rechargables before taking that leap. Good luck and :welcome:

looky

Newly Enlightened
Go ahead and get an Ra Twisty. It uses a CR123 battery and is pretty bombproof. You can buy cheaper lights or ones that put out more lumens, but IMO these are the best ones on the market. There are numerous threads about these lights - use the search function and take a look. You can get one for around $100. Alkaline batteries die sooner and are prone to leakage. If you buy an expensive light, CR123 batteries might be the way to go.

joe1512

Enlightened
There is no reason to pay 100 bucks for a light.

Check out the "itp A1 EOS" light. It is a 22 dollar CR123 (or RCR123) light that reaches 200 lumens. (more with the 4.2V RCR123 vs the 3.0V CR123!).
For 33 bucks you can get a stainless steel version. With 3 modes, and 200 lumens max, this is significantly more powerful than ANYTHING youve come across and it fits on your keychain.

Another budget choice is the Romisen RC-C6. It uses a CR123, but isn't as bright. However, it has adjustable optics so you can go pure Flood, or pure spotlight. This makes it a lot more useful to be honest. If they ever update it to use a modern emitter and get the lumens up to 200ish, it would be a great choice.

I'd go with the smaller and high quality itp A1 EOS SS myself if I were you.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
This review by selfbuilt would be a good place to start looking. If I don't own a Novatac 120P, I would own a Ra Clicky. These lights are expensive but worth every penny.

:welcome:

Yes, a RA EDC is right in your budget and is about as fine a light as you will ever find. Forget "bright as possible" if you want "as high quality as possible".

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite is the LiteFlux LF3XT. It gives you even more output options than the Novatacs and Ra Clicky's, The LF3XT has a smooth beam and 2 user interfaces to choose from.. It will cost you only about $62.
Not only that, but there is a 2xAA tube extension optional accessory, if you want to use AA batteries with the same head.

If you want a smaller CR123 light, I agree with the ITP EOS A1 in stainless steel. It is one of the brightest lights for its size. It's low in price, but IMO, high in quality. Unlike the other already mentioned lights, it is a twisty, which may be a negative for some people. Still, it will more easily fit in your pocket, and be there when you need it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I agree completely with BabyDoc on the LF3XT. Granted, I don't have a Ra or Novatac to compare, but I respect the opinions of those that do have both. And many seem to lean toward the LiteFlux. Unless you expect to give it very rough treatment, consider the LF3XT. And, after you discover it's goodness you'll be wanting its little brother, the LF2XT.

Geoff

AILL

Newly Enlightened
I agree completely with BabyDoc on the LF3XT. Granted, I don't have a Ra or Novatac to compare, but I respect the opinions of those that do have both. And many seem to lean toward the LiteFlux. Unless you expect to give it very rough treatment, consider the LF3XT. And, after you discover it's goodness you'll be wanting its little brother, the LF2XT.

Geoff

Well I have all of them (RA, Novatac, LF3XT), and what really makes me nervous on the LF is the fact that I cannot program the mode with Click+PressHold - it is always strobe that I hate.
So I vote for the UI of NT and RA - whatever model you prefer - and: think about that you can turn every avaliable NT into a "P"-model. NT's "Storm" are PRETTY cheap now on *bay...

Andreas

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I would not be happy, either, if I was unable to fully program the light. Perhaps there is a malfunction. Have you tried using Budman's famous flowchart? It is a bit tricky, and the included instructions a bit confusing. But, it is possible to eliminate the strobe. I removed it from the settings on mine.

Geoff

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a decent used L1 for about that. Even though I'm a SF guy, the Ra's have always caught my eye...I think one of those ill be my next big purchase???

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no reason to pay 100 bucks for a light

unless you want 350 + lumens.

Check out the "itp A1 EOS" light. It is a 22 dollar CR123 (or RCR123) light that reaches 200 lumens. (more with the 4.2V RCR123 vs the 3.0V CR123!).
For 33 bucks you can get a stainless steel version. With 3 modes, and 200 lumens max, this is significantly more powerful than ANYTHING youve come across and it fits on your keychain.

Another budget choice is the Romisen RC-C6. It uses a CR123, but isn't as bright. However, it has adjustable optics so you can go pure Flood, or pure spotlight. This makes it a lot more useful to be honest. If they ever update it to use a modern emitter and get the lumens up to 200ish, it would be a great choice.

both great lights.

crazyaboutleds

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the Quark MiNi 123. I keychain carry one and love it's size and brightness. 189 lumens out-the-front on high and 150 hours on low. And twisties are much more reliable than clickies.

Lee Indy

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: Hi Lee Indy, Quarks are fantastic lights! I have both MiNi's and have really enjoyed using them, they are a tremendous value.

howdy. my favorite is the preon tho. im an aircraft avionics instructor and you wouldnt believe how much use i get out of that little light.

gaaaa this image verification crap is crap

memphisjim

Newly Enlightened
fellows im far to drunk to read all this but i read some
most of it that i saw was a double a light could be like a cr123 light if i bought rechargeables please tell me this is wrong

rfnv

Newly Enlightened
I've got the Jetbeam RRT-0. It can use 123 and AA batteries. Puts out 240 lumens on 123s, 180 on AAs.