best reflector option for a mag p7?

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
the beam from my stock reflector with a p7 in a mag has a good spot and very wide dim spill, can i buy a reflector anywhere that makes the beam better, where the hotspot and spill are blended together more.

like my malkoff m 61? :thumbsup:

Last edited:

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
The reflector that I got with my Malkoff P7 had a slightly textured surface. I guess that's sputtered.

I've been very happy with it's performance.

spc

Enlightened
A medium or light orange peeled reflector will smooth the beam and feather the hotspot out, blending in the "donut". A heavier peeled or stippled will blend the hotspot in with the spill but you will loose alot of throw..

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
im surprised with all the mags floating around that noone has built a new and better reflector?

or maybe a few choices, to affect beam profile.

Fulgeo

Enlightened
Britelumens makes a decent MOP reflector that works well in a Mag. You can find it here http://www.britelumens.com/MagLiteParts.html. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. The 15mm opening ones work with most SSC P7 heatsinks. You will lose some throw with this reflector like all textured reflectors when compared to the stock reflector. The MOP reflector does remove the "+" effect of the quad leds. I have made 12 SSC P7 modded Mags to date and what I prefer is using a cut down stock plastic reflector topped with a 250-300 mm FL aspherical lens. The ashperical lens removes alot of the artifacts and consolidates the beam. It does not completely clean up the beam like a MOP reflector but it does wonders without compromising precious throw.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
my p7 mag i first build with splattered cut mag reflector, it had ok throw and lots of flood, than i swapped it for FM deep reflector, throw improved, but a cross appeared, i removed it by sticking anti glare film on the inside of the lens, beam became smoother, it lost insignificant amount of throw, but still has left more than splattered mag reflector. i also have l900 that has similar reflector to dx one, to be honest i like it the best, it has perfect combo of throw, flood, and beam quality.
i also heard here, some members use FM 2,5in throwmaster head for p7, they all like results.