First Look: CMG Sonic AAA

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
I received my CMG Sonic AAA today. It comes in four housing colors: black, red, blue and silver. The Sonic has knurling on the back and front of the light. It comes with a lanyard keyring.

Compared to the Arc AAA it is about a 1/4" longer and slightly wider. The Arc's beam is wider than Sonic's. Both lights are regulated. Brightness is about the same. The Sonic does not have Type III anodization and is water resistant.

cmg_sonic_red.jpg

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened
The Sonic-G will have Type III anodization.

How about a pic of a Ultra next to a sonic for size comparison?

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: CMG Sonic and Infinity Ultra

How about an Arc AAA next to both of those?

I guess I like the Arc better than the Sonic based on what I've heard so far. I prefer the wider beam, and the Sonic just looks silly.

How does the amount of spill light (not the beam center) compare? One thing I like about the Ultra is it has more spill than the Arc.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I'm supposed to get a Sonic on Monday or Tuesday; and I should have it on my website shortly thereafter.

The Sonic does look a bit like a dog pee-pee (at least it does in that red color) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif but I don't think you could mistake the two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SFR

Newly Enlightened

The Sonic looks like a nice keychain sized flashlight.

If I may be so bold as to ask, what is the size of the Sonic in relation to a red Crayola crayon?

Thank you.

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
Beam Diameter

I compared the diameter of the beams of the CMG Sonic and Arc AAA by shining the lights six inches from a wall. The diameter of the beam for the Arc AAA is 12 inches while the beam diameter of the Sonic AAA is six inches.

paulr

Flashaholic

Are the Sonic electronics at the pointy end or the wide end? If at the wide end, does that mean there's wiring going through the barrel to get to the LED? I wonder why they chose that weird design. The Infinity predated the Arc AAA, so if they just made a smaller version of the Infinity, they wouldn't be copying Arc.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

they probably want to avoid problems with the 1:1 aspect ratio...

predating doesn't matter to some companies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened

CMG did not make a mini Infinity AAA because it is cheaper to manufacter the Sonic design than it is the Infinity design.

The Sonic fits on a keychain with a keyring lanyard. See photo below.

cmg_sonic.jpg

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I went to my local EMS store to buy a Sonic as I see they are in stock at their web site but alas at least my local one did not have them in stock. I thought it would be a good Friday night experiment to do a brightness/runtime test compared to the Arc AAA. Based on looks, that would be the only way I would consider buying a Sonic over the Arc AAA if it provided a brighter beam for longer. To me the Sonic looks like....well use your imagination.

Reno

Enlightened

That looks handy for an EMT or a doctor to peer into your *ahem* orifices....

I'll stick to an ARC AAA. No orifice-peering for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
The CMG Sonic sure doesn't do anything for me. The Arc-AAA is a classic in design and function, down to it's small, but functional reflector.

The Sonic just looks silly, next to it, like a really cheap Chinese knock-off.

The all knurled surface of the Arc-AAA doesn't show small scratches, which will quickly make a Sonic on a keychain looking beat up in very short order.

Maybe a Sonic with HA III finish will fare a little better,(although I doubt it will hold it's appearance as well as a HA III Arc-AAA), but it still looks like a small Chinese dildo.

Just my opinion, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I think CMG makes great products. I have had 100 percent reliability with my CMG lights. 50 percent better than their competition. I'll vote with by pocketbook /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Sonic will be available in HA III, from countycomm.com. I saw an announcement in either the dealer forum or manufacturers announcements forum tonight.

It appears as though it may be easier to turn on than the arc, if used on a keyring. The tail section is what turns, so holding the keyring
in the palm, there is a much larger area to grip the rest of the light for the twisting motion. I wouldn't use the lanyard, just the split ring.

[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
The Sonic does look a bit like a dog pee-pee (at least it does in that red color) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif but I don't think you could mistake the two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, it depends on the size of the dog, I suppose...

RAH

Newly Enlightened

Yes, I have found that the Sonic is easier to turn on with one hand than the Arc AAA because of what Shankus said, which is true even if you don't have a keyring - the rear end is wider, which gives more to hold onto with your palm.

Also, I find that the all-over knurling on the Arc causes it to get dirty - crap from my pocket gets embedded in all those tiny knurls. (Yes, I know that this is heresy).

One negative about the Sonic - it has a secondary ring of light spilling from it. If you aim it forward at a wall, there is a ring of light that appears at your feet. I think that this is because the led protrudes slightly from the case.