Olight T20 M 2010 R5 vs. 2008 Q5 versions - impressions and beamshots

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I have the origional Olight T20 M Q5 light, and while it is well built, its narrow spill and UI that makes me go through strobe and sos before going back to low has relegated it to glove box duty. When I saw the new 2010 version had lost the sos...and that when I heard that some of the Fenix R5 models had donut holes in their beams.... I decided to give the Olight T series a second look.

The new light is slightly shorter than the Q5 version...and bezel and tailcap walls are ever so much thinner...I do not think this will make the light less durable...as it is only slightly. All parts (besides the clip which is better now, and secured by a twist ring..so it will not fall off like the old one) are interchangable...and the light will still take an AW 17650 and will still work normally on all modes with one...unlike the Fenix PD30

4969770169_6d95a1ca53_z.jpg

The new bezel has a complete OP reflector..unlike the origional hybred. The hotspot and spill are Much wider than the Q5 (although the Q5's spill is small, it is very bright by consequince) The R5 model has a beam more like a Very Bright SF L4...which is great for lighting up everything in a room or path ahead..and I do like it much more than the Q5 version...there is also no donut hole.

4970382686_f1ebdb8d9d_z.jpg

Here are some indoor shots of each beam

4969769965_53d1f45f22_z.jpg

The Q5

4970382574_9dc887a071_z.jpg

The R5

Low is nice and low and usable at 5 lumens. Med is a Huge jump to 170...which I find myself using most often. High is said to be 310, but It is a very small jump from med to the eye...I believe the light is putting out an honest 275-280l out the front...and ceiling bounce tests make it look easily brighter than the Q5...but I would not have minded a 100L med instead.

Here is an outdoor beamshot of each. Camera at 1" F/ 2.8 Iso 64

4969770333_b66ea2f779_z.jpg

The Q5

4970382950_314ee5d469_z.jpg

The R5

Here is a beamshot of the Quark 123a x2 I took months ago. Same camera and settings

4081783289_728715aa21_o.jpg

Overall I really like the New T20. I still am not a massive fan of its UI...but I find myself mainly in medium. The beam is so broad and smooth (and slightly warmer than the Q5) that it is great indoors, and while not a long distance spotter, It lights up everything out to 35-45 yards very well outdoors....and in New Mexico where desert walks often include centepedes and very large hairy spiders...I would rather have the broad spot and wide spill than a needle sharp beam.

I think the AA version of the light might be the best catch out there with more evenly spaced levels, over 200L on high...and the ability to take 2x14500's....how cool is that! But Im glad Batteryjunction got my funds for this one...It is turning into my go to edc light.

Last edited:

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have been waiting for this review (though my mind is set to get the T15 so that i can feed the head to my lonely Leef body that takes the Fenix P1D head )
Just love that tint & broad beam.Can it (T20 R5 )takes AW P17670 cell?
Thanks a lot.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have been waiting for this review (though my mind is set to get the T15 so that i can feed the head to my lonely Leef body that takes the Fenix P1D head )
Just love that tint & broad beam.Can it (T20 R5 )takes AW P17670 cell?
Thanks a lot.

Yes it can...and all levels work on them. ......I wil also post a pic of the Quark 123a x 2 Turbo

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked everything about the Q5 version except the super narrow beam (complete with slight donut hole!), which eventually relegated it to backup duty for me, too. I didn't love the UI, especially having to travel through SOS, but since my usual usage pattern is to put it in a mode and leave it there until next time, I decided I could live with it. I didn't realize the 2008 version could run on 17670, I've been looking for a reason to pick up an IMR, maybe that's it.

2010 version looks very much like what I was hoping 2008 would be, thanks for the review.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your right...the 2008 needed a wider spill. 2010 version is no throw monster...but working with AW batts and having a better beam and tint does make me like it much more. Glad to see another person who still kept ther Q5 Olight.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have now gone through a set of 123's in the light and had a 17650 go dim. On both batteries the light does not take a quick trip to black...which I like.

The light does not do the high speed flicker of a Fenix, just Med (which I was on) is all of a sudden noticably dimmer. It continued at this new dim (aprox 25L) level for 5 minutes with high no longer being accessable...and then I changed the batts (both times). So, while I do like the definite warning flash....going to a lower output level is fine with me too...as long as a light does not leave me instantly in the dark...or give me less than a couple minutes to find new batts or a backup light.

Xak

Enlightened
I can't wait to see this beam compared to a Q123^2 R5... ...or is it the turbo you are comparing it to?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I've been waiting to see some info on this light. Really liked the outdoor beam shots.

I was a big fan of the T10 and T20-T, but after a couple of years, and a few XP-E lights, and that super-tight hotspot began to annoy me. The 2008 Oilghts are great throwers, but that beam profile I've decided I just didn't like very much, and a wider, if less throwy beam would be of more use to me.

So, I think I'll be replacing my 2008 T20 - T with one of these new XP-G Oilghts, either a -T or -M if they are out there.

audioman

Newly Enlightened
very good review :goodjob: can't wait to see this beam compared to a Quark r5 :thumbsup:

Vaughnatic

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered a Olight T20 R5 as a replacement for my Maglite AA for EDC

I am hoping it will be better :p