The Intelligent Kroll

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been working on this project for months, it has been always my dream of such an electronic switch. Perhaps this is the best upgrade to any flashlight that fits a kroll. I am excited, I just wish to share my work/mod/design to you all, it's certainly a hard work for me as I do not have much skill in electronics, I am only a programmer. The Intelligent Kroll has a lot more to improve, the current version unfortunately a poor prototype that has some more to improve on.

Here I present and introduce the Intelligent Kroll.
ikroll.jpg

My apologies for the dim picture. I took it in a hurry. You can see a enamel wire stretching to the below right, it goes to +ve of the battery. I know this is extremely unreliable but it's the only way I can think of. The microcontroller sits under the kroll cap. The mosfet and two resistors on top of the avr. All freeformed, no space for pcb. I am not an ee engineer, the circuit is built to work and I find it stable.

ikroll2.jpg

Update: 3 September 2003
Wooohooo! I looked through my stash and from an old cdrom, I got some flexible pcb. It's a PITA to split these properly as the strips are so close together. I believe this is a connection to the brushless motor that spins the cd. This flexible pcb is a very nice solution to the earlier enamel coated wire which is much weaker. I guess it's now safe to route +ve to the uP. Another thing about this flexipcb is that it's pretty much fire proof. At first I wanted to use my soldering gun to melt away the coating but it refuse to even weaken. In the end I had to use the razor to shave away the coating. Perhaps the negative contact spring will have to be removed so there won't be extra play to stress the flexible pcb when assembling or disabling the battery. Ok, I haven't quote the price for making these but I guess it won't be too expensive. I might be able to get this printed for the micro, if I could relocate the micro to another position in the kroll. Then the other parts can also go on to the flexible pcb.

Why Kroll? I spent countless hours looking for alot of alternatives such as nylon nuts and other items that has threads but neither of them have the suitable thread I need. Customizing is out of question. The Kroll cheap and strong as an electronic host. The rubber boots is nice waterproof.

The Intelligent Kroll, is no more mechanical or technically less mechanical that people hate. However the tactile switch is still mechanical. Inside the modified kroll, house an Atmel AtTinyAvr that works all the way down to 1.8volts. During operational testing I find that works down to 1.6volts without any problem. The microcontroller switches a low resistance n-channel mosfet at variable duty(PWM) to archieve dimming. If you know which AVR I am talking about, yes it's the one without SRAM without PWM. So you know it's a pain to program. However, it's cheap and it suck little current with lowest operating voltage.

Features
A few features of the iKroll (in a ARC LSH)
ShortBurst - 10 seconds of 200ma light
FullBurst - Infinite on 200ma light
User Preset - 10ma to 330ma (10 levels, maximum drive depends on the dc2dc circuit)
Blink - blink at 100ma once every 3 second

EDIT: I should add a momentary on at full brightness for tactical use as it is important. I do not expect this switch to be used in mission critical situation as it is still in development stages. Thanks to Otokoyama for pointing out.

A short press will put the light in to ShortBurst another press brings you in to FullBurst and so on. A long press will shutdown the light in whatever mode.

A feature that I like is that the light will slowly dim to shutdown. Another feature is the Xenon burst, the light will flicker then slowly steady to FullBurst. When all stable, I am going to mod my LSH sense resistor so I can have a boost function /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif.

Need Improve
The Intelligent Kroll is quite dumb actually. The switching frequency for Zetex, Linear(ARC LSH) and direct drive are totally different therefore the Kroll need to be programmed specifically. Perhaps I should include three sets of different dimming frequencies into the Kroll so it can be selected when working with different type of circuits. The 2K flash memory is really preventing anymore features getting added. I need more space!

Perhaps I should switch to the new tiny13 that has PWM and it works all the way down to 1.8volts. A better solution is to switch to a totally new platform EM Microelectronic EM6680, looks very good with low 1.2volts operating voltage and PWM. However emmarin seems to be a busy company and never reply my emails and the information to program it might be scare. Perhaps the mcu is too good to be true and never exists or oo expensive for them to give out samples.

Ok this is really off topic but I have to say this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif
I have to thank my girl for being extremely tolerant for the pass few weeks when I work really hard. She is the most loving and yet caring person in the world.

Cheers,
Vince.

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
That is some excellent work.
That will be VERY useful if you can ever get it all worked out.

You should seriously look into getting a run of those made.

Keep up the good work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Thanks for sharing! The switch has always been the weak point in the flashlight industry, as far as I'm concerned. You make this thing work right, and you should have a big seller on your hands.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
PayPal Sent!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously though, do some sort of "poor man's patent" on this, because your concept may have true production potential. (Think Sandwich Shoppe etc.)

Even "just" putting a regulator in the Kroll is significant in itself. Good job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
This is really cool! Please continue! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Otokoyama - Thanks you for your interest.

jtice - the prototype is really ugly, I might make a pcb and relocate the microchip(the kroll got so much space!). Then we are getting somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I am still very concern about the +ve wire getting short circuit with the -ve body of the flashlight will result in fire or explosion.

darrell - I tried very hard for the pass few months and I will continue to work on and share among you guys.

Stainless - I am afraid this isn't original enough to be patented /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, therefore alot of manufacturers will make this control.

Don - I still think your mods are coolest.

nascar - more to come.

I finally got around with the mosfet shutting itself off. If I could lower the brightness of the LED as the battery deplete, the current consumption can be minimized so the voltage drop will not increase and therefore the mosfet will be able to sustain on. This means highbrightness will not be available if the battery voltage is too low.

Next two or three weeks I will try to do a video of the light in action. I really want to show you guys the XenonBurst in action and the slowly dim to shutdown. I doubt my video cam could capture the XenonBurst in action. No promise though, many things in my life have been backlogged because of this kroll. Thanks guys for your support.

Vince.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
nukiez, very nice work. I'm looking for something dumber for the E2 clickie (2-stage) and can't come up with anything yet. Your Kroll helps keep me going!

On your findings with the current draw from the Arc, that's probably not a bug, rather you got a LED that has a higher forward voltage and Wayne's circuit is doing exactly what it was designed to do--take out variations in Vf at the expense of current draw. Actually 490mA with 2.4V does not sound out of whack. At 80% efficiency, that translates to about a watt to the load. Keep up the good work there.

CM

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
the badboyz can be adjusted down by applying volts to the Iadj (which is currently grounded).. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nice switch!

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most impressive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I just love seeing a fresh idea pick up mementum, like I think this project will. I look forward to hearing more - please keep us posted, thanks.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Just exactly what the flashlight world needs now -- a universally adaptable multi-mode switch that simply screws onto any light with compatible threads!

Great idea.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its nice to see the regulation in the tailcap. Ive alwasy thought it counter-intuitive to place 2 heat producing/heat sensitive components so close to each other (LED and regulation circuit).

Kiessling

Flashaholic
a dumb question from someone without electronic knowledge (me): will this also work with the McLux?
If yes, the line forms behind me, guys!
bernhard
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DaveT

Enlightened
Nukiez, this is a great idea, great if you even make ANY progress in this direction. As far as this:
"the prototype is really ugly" -- I don't recall where I read it (it might be apocryphal), but one of the earliest (or the earliest) CD players, when it was shown at a trade fair, had an ugly secret - the table it was displayed on was draped with a tablecloth to hide the fact that most of the electronics working it still couldn't fit inside the box of the CD player, and was filling much of the space under the table./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
As long as you can screw your tailcap into a flashlight, it lights up when you click it (and you can still lift it without being a bodybuilder), I'd say you're making progress!
Dave

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the support guys. I will keep you all posted while I work on it.

CM -
My apologies that I did not make myself clear at first. My normal LSH LT circuit sucks 380ma at 3.14 volts and when I drive it with the mosfet it sucks 430ma. I thought it was PWM acting up in the first place but even a constant on is having trouble.

kiessling -
I have no maxmax or badboy, I don't know how well they will work with them. Someone want to donate me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif However I know that the McLux has kroll therefore it will 'fit' well especially with the 'protective skirt' that don design. The skirt will reduce accidental switch on.

I am also implementing a lockout feature in the software in the future development.

I did a more accurate test this morning.

My normal LSH sucks 380ma(open load 3.14volts) direct connection to the battery.

With my avr, no pwm, no operation, just pure mosfet switched on.
430ma(open load 3.14 volts).

These current values are taken directy between the battery and the circuit. I am still finding this quite unbelievable as I can't find where is sucking the extra power.

Battery consumption at 3.14 ~ 3.16volts open load

ON Full Brightness - 430ma
90% Duty Cycle - 360ma
80% Duty Cycle - 290ma
70% Duty Cycle - 230ma
60% Duty Cycle - 190ma
50% Duty Cycle - 140ma
40% Duty Cycle - 100ma
30% Duty Cycle - 60ma
20% Duty Cycle - 30ma
~10% Duty Cycle - 10ma

Note that this does not happen to circuits like the Zetex or direct drive. The Zetex and direct drive works nice and did not consume any more current than 4ma. ~3ma lost in powering the LED on the dev board.

Vince.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
Great work, our solder!

From my understanding, the extra 30mA is not consumed by the CPU nor the MOSEFT as they only take uA's. The problem is the MOSEFT is not a zero-resistance device when ON and you will have a small but notable voltage drop across it. The boost converter simply sees less voltage, and try to compensate by sucking more current through /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

avusblue

Enlightened
I am so respectful of people who can not only vision, but execute ideas like this. Kudos, and keep up the good work!

As for me, I'm happy when I can get my Opalec installed successfully.

Dave