Streamlight Knucklehead

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was browsing SL's website and came across their new light called the Knucklehead. I have to admit, it looks pretty dang useful. Especially with the hook that is attached to the back.

Has anyone used one of these? If so, what are your thoughts/comments?

Unfortunately, I can not find ANY online dealers to know what the price might be.

knucklehead_vert_logoed_enlarged.jpg

-Robert

Rob

Newly Enlightened

The charger is from the survivor series with a 12v .5a wall wort and 6v .25a constant output. So the 4 NiCd (yea, I didn't know they were still made :) sub C 1800ma battery stays alittle warm, but not bad.

The beam shot is next to HDS 170.

the magnet is remarkably strong.

Last edited:

afdk

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I have the Pelican 9410. It's sort of the same kind of light, being that it can stand on end and the head can be tilted. The Streamlight knucklehead seems like a quality work light. The Pelican 9410 was really developed for Fire departments and industry. I've already used my 9410 for going in the attic and cleaning my oven. Lights with an tilted head can be very useful around the house and at work! I've never owned a Streamlight, but I would consider it. The Pelican 9410 is considerably brighter at (300-710) lumen. The 9410 can use a diffuser, which they sell, and can turn this light into a real work light!.

Last edited:

kansas cat

Newly Enlightened
It looks like a nice light. The magnet would be very handy on the job. Now to go tell the wife that it's for work and that I REALLY need another light:)

celler

Newly Enlightened
This light is finally making its way to major retailers. I like the concept and have always trusted the Streamlight name. But now for the deal killer -- NiCad batteries - really -- please get with the current century on battery chemistry. Has anyone played around with one of these? Is there anything to prevent you from buying the "Alkaline" version and simply feeding it a good diet of Eneloops even though the manual says not to use rechargeable batteries with the "Alkaline" version?

Maybe I'll just wait for Maxxeon to update their Work Star 1400 to the new 2000 series which has many of the same features (hooks, magnets) and user replaceable NMHi batteries.

KLowD9x

Banned
My Cornwell tools dealer has one on the truck and (of course) wanted me to buy it. There are three things that impressed me.

First, the beam tint seemed to be a nice neutral light. But, being a Streamlight, I don't know if this tint is guaranteed. I have seen so many colors come out of the end of all of the PT2Ls that we have in the shop that I would be worried about buying a Knucklehead and getting an absurdly cool white light.

Second, the beam is pure flood. It's VERY nice for using as a work light. There is a lot of light but it has even more spread.

Third, the magnetic clip with the movable head makes it nice for mounting to the hood of a car and lighting up the entire engine bay.

However, the battery technology bugs me. Also, it's VERY expensive for what you get.

I did not purchase it but it does seem like a nice light, just not my style. I like lights I can keep in my pocket.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the alkaline version (not rechargeable) It is a wonderful work light. It stands, it hangs, and the strong magnet holds it securely wherever placed. The battery carrier is sturdy, but is difficult to take apart--so changing batteries is a PITA. Rechargeable AAs work as well. It has two levels of light accessed by holding the switch down. I like it, but wish I'd purchased the rechargeable version.

celler

Newly Enlightened
I have the alkaline version (not rechargeable) It is a wonderful work light. It stands, it hangs, and the strong magnet holds it securely wherever placed. The battery carrier is sturdy, but is difficult to take apart--so changing batteries is a PITA. Rechargeable AAs work as well. It has two levels of light accessed by holding the switch down. I like it, but wish I'd purchased the rechargeable version.

I was actually thinking about the alkaline version using Eneloops over the rechargeable version. Unless you plan on using it every day or leaving it in the charger (not usually great for NiCads), its going to be dead from self discharge everytime you go to use it. Of course, if you are a mechanic using it 4-6 hours a day, everyday, you would not really care about self-discharge as you would be charging it every day, but the NiCad memory effect would likely creep up on you at some point.

I still can't figure out why some of the major manufacturers, like Surefire and Streamlight, can't seem to go to the next level on battery chemistry.

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened
I still can't figure out why some of the major manufacturers, like Surefire and Streamlight, can't seem to go to the next level on battery chemistry.

I know next to nothing about battery chemistry but it may have something to do with the environment the lights are exposed to. Lights made for firefighting can be easily be exposed to temperatures approaching 1000 degrees farenheit, and can be exposed to water and various gases. It may just have something to do with safety. The knucklehead looks like it shares a lot of the Survivor's design, and probably uses the same battery and charger.

celler

Newly Enlightened
I know next to nothing about battery chemistry but it may have something to do with the environment the lights are exposed to. Lights made for firefighting can be easily be exposed to temperatures approaching 1000 degrees farenheit, and can be exposed to water and various gases. It may just have something to do with safety. The knucklehead looks like it shares a lot of the Survivor's design, and probably uses the same battery and charger.

I have seen lots of intrinsically safe NiMH lights. So I doubt that no one can make NiMH or lithium based light that stand up to harsh conditions. As I think about it, I may own a couple of examples myself. However, I think you have hit the nail on the head about using the same battery and charger as another line from the same manufacturer. It would appear that the mantra "backward compatibility forever" may be answer to the question. I think that's a bad move. I have to believe most people understand the drawbacks of the old NiCads and do not want to be stuck in the 1970s forever.

AuSable

Newly Enlightened
First of all this is my first attempt to post on CPF. With all do respect to celler I have to disagree that most people understand the drawbacks of NiCads. What led me to this forum in the first place was another forum I belong to that many of the members of that forum use rechargeable batteries every day and know absolutely nothing about them. Most of them use IMR's or Protected Circuit batteries and it scares me half to death at some of the things I read. I don't know why a person can't walk into the local hardware store and pick-up a pack of AW IMR 18650's but I'm sort of glad they can't. On another note, it seems to me that, well, I can't go on about this anymore! I have no idea what I'm talking about except to say that you, celler, and most of the other members here, have so much knowledge about batteries that you might take for grantite that the general public would know enough about batteries to use and charge them safely.
I think the more I read this forum the more confused I get. Thanks to all of you.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, the Knucklehead has been updated with the Luxeon Rebel ES (don't know when the change was made, but mine has a build of November 2011).

I'll be conducting some runtime tests for my review, although the safety ratings will be an issue with lithium primaries (too much energy). Results will be coming in about a week or so...

celler

Newly Enlightened
Not attempting a thread hijack here and I am happy to open a different thread, but Maxxeon has finally launched its Workstar 2000 that addresses many of the issues I have with the Knucklehead, particularly the user replaceable NiMH batteries. The improvements over the Workstar 1400 include higher lumens (300), two brightness levels instead of one, full 360 degree articulation, a removable belt clip, and an included cigarette lighter 12v adapter in addition to the 110v AC adapter. The specs for the new light can be seen http://www.maxxeon.com/led_professional_worklight_workstar_2000.html . I've ordered one and will try to do a quick review once I have had time to check it out.