Best 2-4xAA light when used with ALKALINE batteries?

mmace1

Enlightened
Suddenly occurred to me when thinking of a light for a friend (they are unlikely to purchased rechargeable batteries "Just" for their flashlight - which is reasonable, honestly). My (somewhat hypothetical) gift-recipient is young - so UI complexity is fine, just - I doubt they're up for buying Ni-mh batteries of any sort just for their light, as, it's not their hobby.

Something that is fine even on it's highest setting, i.e. - doesn't overtax the batteries thus creating poor regulation/runtime. Lot's of lights do fine on their 2nd highest setting - but to a layman, it sounds very junky to say "OK, but don't run it on high". Not to mention - people with little interest won't remember that tidbit on usage.

My Shiningbeam Romison RC-N3 is good with alkalines...but perhaps a bit outdated now with its Q5. There is an updated version there though - so maybe just that light? Any other 2-4 AA lights that are better?

Last edited:

js82

Newly Enlightened
Alkaline batteries can leak so I'm sure most people would advise against it. Aside from that, alkalines usually operate better at much lower discharge currents, so you'll want something that uses quite a few batteries and doesn't put out a huge amount of lumens at its highest setting.

Sounds like you should get a cheap flashlight for your friend.

mmace1

Enlightened
Sounds like you should get a cheap flashlight for your friend.

Quite a range of options within that. There's 3xAAA drugstore junk, or even - my nicely-built Romison RC N3 from shinging beam- fully regulated, decently bright, waterproof (went swimming in Dubai & Philippines with it even), and 2 levels. Great on alkalines, and for the time - a really great light.

I think the range of alkaline LED lights is decently wide, just not often discussed here as everyone here is an enthusiast and thus knows better for themselves. Though I have to say - for a person who uses their light rarely...investing in rechargeables could possibly *not* make financial sense. Regardless, whether than preach - I'm looking for a good "normal person" flashlight.

Last edited:

jupello

Enlightened
Depending on your budget, you could also consider some light that comes with rechargeable battery & charger system.
Also Led Lensers work well with alkalines, just look for the M-series lights if you want them to have regulation.