4sevens questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

loquutis79

Enlightened
So looking at expanding the brand name of my growing collection, I keep looking at 4sevens product. Two things come to mind when I consider this line.

First: What is the difference between 4sevens and Foursevens. I see both names. In fact Going Gear seems to list both. If it was a name change why are both listed and not just changed on the site. [I guess I could have asked GG that question] Did ownership change. If so, will quality change?

Second: and more importantly, without sounding like I am attacking this brand and I trully am not, what it the allure of these light as I see most of you have one or more of them. They seem to be rather high priced for low lumen output. And I believe the 2x123's can't even take 18650's. That is, in the models that interest me anyway.

I would be interested in trying one or two but I look at it like this. If I was starting the collection over again I would still get Fenix, Klarus and Eagletac. Simply on lumens per dollar value.

I believe that they are a quality light form the remarks I read here, and I do like the look of them, but.......?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will try to help with your questions.

First: 4sevens and Foursevens are the same. The reason that GG has both listed is because product with the old name/logo (4sevens) was discounted when the new logo was introduced. There was no change in ownership that I know of and I wouldn't expect any change in quality. I haven't kept up with their latest offerings but I would expect them to be in line with what was offered before.

Second: Some of my "higher end" lights were 4sevens and I have no complaints. As far as their allure is concerned, they offer a variety of features and UI's that are a good fit for many people. They also offer battery options that some manufacturers don't. The lack of 18650 support for some of their lines is a topic that has been discussed (maybe lamented) many times on this board. One of the most appealing "features" to me is their lego-ability and willingness to sell individual components such as battery tubes, tailcaps or bezels/heads.

As far as their output is concerned, you usually don't hear very many complaints from owners. IIRC 4sevens was one of the first manufacturers to quote OTF lumen output as opposed to output at the LED. On paper this made them look less efficient than their competitors but in practice they held their own. As more manufacturers adopt the ANSI ratings methods this likely becomes less of an issue.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Quark AA2 regular UI was my first "real" light. The biggest factor's that won me over was
1. Sub-one lumen low,low is perfect for checking on the kids in the early hours. The Fenix equivalent doesn't go as low.
2. Simple yet grippy body. Again the Fenix to me just has too much going on here, the nice streamlined body of the Quark looks and feels better to me.

My 9 year old has had this Quark AA2 for a couple of years now with no issues, even in water. He did a runtime test on the lowest (moonlight) setting after I let him read on here about it. It lasted around 29 days continuous on a pair of Ray-O-Vac NiMh's. He uses it every night on the second setting (low) with a diffuser wand end as a night light.

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
I purchased my first "4Sevens" light a couple years ago when they were offering a limited run of neutral white LEDs. I really like neutral/warm lights and 4Sevens was on the pulse of what flashaholics wanted. The AA Tactical was everything I wanted...Small, powerful, simple but individualized UI, and it proved durable as well. When I started using Li-Ion batteries, the 14500 pushed the output to a new level. My AA Tactical is set for Turbo/Maximum when the bezel is tightened and Moonlight (super low) when the bezel is loosened a quarter turn.

I recently had the opportunity to test a Maelstrom X7...It has the old "4Sevens" logo but is the XM-L (I'm guessing a T6) emitter. I like the UI for simplicity but still offering versatility. I abused the crap out of that light, including throwing it 15 or so feet in the air and dropping it from about five feet multiple times on the tailcap, bezel, side, and at various angles. The only thing I managed to break was the rubber switch boot. That was easily replaced from an old 4Sevens boot kit. This version (I don't know about the other versions) will run an 18650 just fine. In comparing it to my Eagletac T20C2 Mk II with the Neutral XM-L, the Maelstrom edges it out in brightness, but since the Maelstrom isn't a neutral, I'm guessing their output, given similar CRI, will be comparable.

I talked to the FourSevens crew at the SHOT show and was not only impressed with their lights, but they have some really innovative stuff they're working on right now.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was no change in ownership
which is wrong!
4Sevens is/was a member here, starting his own business by offering what we wanted,
the whole enterprise has been overtaken by another staff somewhere shortly after the last (?) batch of neutrals has been released (I only remember that, not when it was)

And to be honest - I do not like it any more. If there is nothing else, its the "new" hompage ...
dont ask me why, I cant stand the optical appearance (compared to the old one)

PS: as has been mentionned:
* very good quality,
* OFT (out the front) lumens, so ususially on par or better than other makers stating higher values
* (usually) VERY thin and light, so no "run truck over"-lights, but ones that can be pocketed around
* sleek, not bulky, not fittet with sharp edges and such only good for armchair heroes but damaging Your clothes
... You are correct on the 18650 thing, thats the only downfall

I still love my warm-white AA mini ...

[edit]
As 4Sevens has celared up, that post here is wrong;
I do not understand why I think to have read that, but that must have been an extreme misunderstandig
Sorry
[/edit]

Last edited:

Burs757

Newly Enlightened
Big thumbs up to 4sevens from me as well. I have at least 8 lights from them and love them all. As mentioned, they are not "bomb proof". But they hold up quite well to some abuse. I've washed and dried my mini123 with my pants 3 times and still no leaks! How's that for a dynamic water resistance test? I also would recommend the turbo123 2 X. It has 450 lumens in a relatively small package and you can use both regular and rechargeable cr123 batteries in it. The preon and preon 2 make awesome pocket and forget lights, etc etc.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
There is a 4Sevens forum at the Market Place, CPFMP, please continue this discussion over there.

Bill

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yellow - there was no change in ownership. Your post could not be more wrong!
I have no idea where you got that we were taken over by another staff. Please don't post things like this unless you know is true. This could not be farther from the truth!

Unfortunately it wasn't brought to my attention just recently. Bullseye thanks for reopening the thread. It's hard to believe people are boldly making outrageous "authoritative" statements like that. No, there wasn't a change in ownership. We are still here and are holding to our vision to offer the best and the brightest flashlights. The new branding is an effort to refresh our image - the lights are the same. There may be small unannounced incremental minor improvements that don't need to be mentioned - but we've always done that in the past. For all intents and purposes the lights are the same :) Hope this clears things up.

Bullseye - thanks for letting me chime in. Would you close this thread now?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stand correted, and am very sorry for mixing something up,
David, Thank You for interevening and thanks for clearing the matter up, I do put a note into the wrong post above

Also, maybe because me not being english speaker, the message came much harder than I wanted.
Somehow I did remember, that there was a change of ownership - wanted and agreed by both parties -
and which obviously is wrong.
...found the post that tricked me, had to do with Fenix-store and ...

Last edited:

ragweed

Enlightened
I still like the original 4Sevens logo over the Foursevens logo. P.S. never trust slick talking advertising people.

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
the new naming conventions are cryptic i.e. quark pro QP2AX. crazy LOL

i dunno what agency was hired by 4sevens but they did a pretty bad job with the naming scheme

but the logo is great, very neat. also renaming it to FOURSEVENS was a good move.

imo this is better:

quark pro 1A, 2A
quark pro 2A plus (denoting xml)
quark pro 1C, 2C
quark pro 2C plus (xml)

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.