Saying Goodbye To Old Friends

Empath

Flashaholic
It could be that this thread may be the most boring one you'll encounter, and it will mean nothing to you. But at least it will be therapeutic to me; so here goes.

When I was young, about 10 years old, the neighbors that had lived next door since I was a toddler decided to move to a neighboring town. They took with them their son the same age as I. This was new to me. I'd never known life without Victor, and he was as a brother. That hurt! It was a heartbreaking time seeing them climb into their car and ride off for the last time. Time took care of the empty feelings, but the memories still remain.

Fresh out of high school my best friend with whom I'd ran with since the 7th grade, married. Of course things changed as he adapted to married life. Hey, it wasn't so bad. I still had schooling to do, and gals to pursue. But then, when he and his wife decided to head to California to chase their dreams, this Oklahoma boy was on hand to see them off as they drove away. Hmmm... it sort of put a lump in my throat. Saying goodbye hadn't got any easier.

Since then it's been brothers, parents, and friends. Some goodbyes were said without a word spoken back, as it was a final goodbye, from which there could never be another meeting in this world. It never gets easy.

A few years ago I formed a group on the internet, picking up friends one at a time, with a mailing list called Philosophies of Higher Consciousness. It ran on the then popular service called eGroups. It was a good arrangement. The members could receive an emailing of each posting, or could follow each on the web on eGroup's servers. Each posting was preserved for referral and reference. The members counseled me, i counseled them, and we all learned from one another, sometimes publicly and sometimes privately. As far as single forum groups and mailing lists go, it was all that a list owner could hope for. eGroups protected the addresses of the members, so there was no fear of spam. What little commercialization that occurred on their site was so non-intrusive that I don't even really remember much of their sponsors. Then a new chapter started. eGroups was purchased by Yahoo.

Yahoo had all along groups they called clubs. They insisted that their intentions to merge eGroups with their clubs would be to the benefit of both their clubs and the eGroups mailing list members. Of course, if you've ever visited the now operating Yahoo clubs, you know that the site, their mailings and nearly anything associated with them is infested by ads of every form imaginable. If you click on a message you even get a new page of advertising and you still had to click "continue" to move on to the next page and to your message. Participation of course dwindled, as the commercial spirit of Yahoo doused the spirit of participation from the members.

Let me tell you about the email arrangement with Yahoo's clubs. The owner of a group submits an email address through which all "utility" operations of the group are conducted. Any email addressed the owner of a Yahoo group is immediately forwarded to the group owner's email address. Some spammers learned of this, and spam began a gradual increase. Well, this I could handle; it was just a bit of filtering. Then came Chris.

Chris Pirillo is a very intelligent and successful writer and founder of a group of newsletters called LockerGnome. I highly endorse them, even though Chris and I have found ourselves in mutual disagreement on several occasions. Any mention in his newsletters is the same as receiving mention on Slashdot, and the sheer magnitude of response is near the same. On this occasion, I once again contacted Chris on the devastating results of his actions. What he did was offer some advice on a means of avoiding spam by setting up a moderated Yahoo group, and multiple addresses within the group to handle mail in different manners. Along with it he advised that any mail sent to the owner of the group could not be filtered and should be sent to an address you ignored. It would work to a certain extent, unless you actually tried to use the Yahoo group for what was intended. Needless to say, it seems every spammer in the world took note. Filtering became a huge chore, and picking out legitimate mailings regarding the actual group became a monumental task.

At the beginning of the month I advised all within the group that effective Nov. 15, the group "Philosophies of Higher Consciousness" would cease to be and the group would be deleted. I advised them to download any of the postings they wanted to keep.

Today, I deleted the group. The group itself had become near useless, except for the information archived there, and especially the friends gathered there. For now it's another goodbye. Even though I've never seen most of them face to face, there is an attachment that's developed. The pain is the same old pain. The friends, even though through a virtual medium are not just virtual friends. They're as real as any friends have ever been. It doesn't get any easier.

Now, you're probably wondering, what is the purpose in the long and wordy posting? As I said, it may be boring; but it's therapeutic to me.
Saying goodbye doesn't get easy.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i feel what you're saying sir.

on September 1st the woman i was in love with and who'd been my best friend, my hold on sanity, my comfort and my psychiatrist/grip on sanity moved some distance away for school and work..

i've never been so close to anyone my whole life.

i definitely sympathize. saying goodbye was horrible.. it didn't seem to hit me fully until she was outta sight, and i realized she was just getting farther and farther away.

*sigh*

this was my first goodbye.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
for the past few months I've been dealing with "issues/feelings of abandonment". Everybody I know and love seemed to disapear out of my life. Some of the time it was them leaving and sometimes it was me.

If I wasn't so damn cheap I'd see a qualified mental health professional.

I know how it is from both sides and it sucks. Anybody dealing with this, I truly feel for you because this is one of the worst things, as social creatures, that I could place upon you.

Another round of Zoloft--on the house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Jason

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Empath..without getting into any long stories on my side...I relate to what you have detailed so very well here!

All such a real part of our lives...having different priorities, lives affected by ever changing environments (of all kinds) which sometimes result in parting...yes, it hurts - but at the same time makes one appreciate what we still have. It should remind us to take care of what we have, nourish it, respect it, and enjoy it...

You know in my heart & mind...I feel like I'm still friends with certain folks I've met throughout my life, met them many, many years ago and parted for one reason or another. I would imagine they would say, "Who?" if my name was brought up...but for some reason, if I "connected" with them in the past, that connection is still within myself...why, I can't answer that.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Empath, such losses are amongst the most terrible feelings a human may have to endure in his ongoing struggle called life. These are some of the rare occasions that actually can make me cry. And it never gets easier, I think it is getting worse over the time since by growing older we appreciate even more that friendship and love are terribly important to us and can hardly be replaced.

And the illusion of "keeping contact" or "staying this close even if we do not see each other any longer" is just that - an illusion.
There is a french saying that hits it on the nail:
"Loin de l'oeil, loin du coeur" .... meaning out of sight, far away from the heart.

bernhard

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Empath, I loved it. Your timing is outstanding. It was like you had me in mind when you posted it.

The pain of loss is not a wound that can be ignored. There is no band-aid or medicine and if you try to suppress the pain it will likely linger on and on. Sharing the pain is often the fastest road to recovery. I heard the song, "Lean on Me" while driving home yesterday and believe it sums up much of my last 5 days and maybe yours as well.

Thanks,
DD

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Empath,

Be glad that you still feel the pain. I have some friends that have tried to shut everything painful out of their lives and have ended up quite lonely and unhappy.

Life involves change and change sometimes means saying goodbye. It never gets easier.

I think saying goodbye makes you embrace hello's and then make the time to enjoy the moment.

Tom

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can identify with what you are feeling. I am preparing to make the move from where I have lived for 25 years to a new place where I dont know any body. I will miss all my friends I have made here in this town , but I am retiring to an area with phenomenal fishing, and that is one of my interests, knives and lights go anywhere(well most anywhere).Fishing requires going to the fish sooooo