Arc AA runtime with lithium AA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now own an Arc AA and was wondering,
What is the run time and overall satisfaction when using lithium AA's? Took a look at Roy's runtime charts and the CMG Ultra-G dies at 11.5 hours, the Arc AA at 13.5 hours and the Ultra-G with lithiums at 24 hours to half brightness and even output past 25 hours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Just wondering what the runtime with lithiums in the Arc AA equates to? I need to pack batteries for 6 months of an hour a day use...one in the AA and 6 spare AA lithiums sure would lighten the load!
Any info is appreciated.

paulr

Flashaholic
I bet there's enough variation between units that you're best off doing doing your own test on your own Arc AA. Also, if you want really maximal runtime from an L91, I'd say get a CMG Infinity (non Ultra). I've been EDC'ing one for a while and it's bright enough for most things, really. Peter apparently made some extended-runtime Arc AAA's a while back but there wasn't enough demand to keep them in production. Maybe if there's enough interest in an extended-run AA, it could happen someday. Peter if you're reading this, any idea how many units that would take, if you're even willing to think about it? It would be a regular Arc AA, presumably with just a resistor or something changed inside. I actually think the current AA is too bright; I'd rather use something a little dimmer for dark close-up conditions, and pull out an LS for when I need something brighter.

Another light you could check out is the Tek-Tite Trek Lithium, which runs on a 3.6 volt AA-sized computer memory backup battery and supposedly produces reasonable (Infinity-like?) output for 100+ hours on one cell. It's overpriced but is probably one of the most robust lights out there (very waterproof and hardly any components to fail, just the battery and LED).

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I would think that an Arc AA and 6 Li batteries should last a LONG time at an hour a day. Remember that the batteries will recover from short run periods and thus should give more time on a battery than the time indicated by my runtime plot.

paulr

Flashaholic
Another idea is bring the Arc AA, a few NiMH cells and a small charger. I gather that there will be electricity where you're going, at least enough of the time to always keep a few of the cells at full charge.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies Paul and Roy,
An 8-pack of Lithium AA batteries should do the trick for 6 months. My BB500 R2H lights will be fed NiMH batteries since they have an appetite for AA batteries and I will use them often during the day to see inside equipment. The Anglelux is the other long runtime winner, I will have a 12 pack of D cells for it. 24 AAA batteries for the Micro and Minu-LGI/McFlood should keep everything illuminated for half a year.
I figure that if an Infinity Ultra can run for 25 hours straight on a lithium, the Arc AA should run for 30 hours of intermitten one hour per day use. Just wanted to check to see if I am on the right wavelength.

paulr

Flashaholic
Bent, I really really would not bet on the Arc AA running for 30 hours on an L91 even intermittently. Somebody measured an AA's current draw as 250 mA on an alkaline, which probably means even higher on a lithium. To run for 30 hours even at 150 mA (half brightness, more or less) would mean 4500 mAH of capacity which the L91 just does not have. On the other hand, maybe your particular unit uses less current (250 mA was surprisingly high). The only way to find out is make your own measurements. If you do a continuous measurement you'll get a conservative estimate, which is probably what you want anyway.

If you're got NiMH cells to run your BB500's, I'd say use them in your Arc AA as well in normal circumstances, and have a few L91's available in case some situation comes up where you need them.

Edit: I'm also skeptical of the claim of a CMG Ultra-G running 25 hours on an L91 and I couldn't find that plot in Roy's collection. I wonder if it was a regular Infinity (longer running but dimmer) that you're thinking of.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooooops,
The chart I was reading was a CMG Reactor with lithium batteries, not an Infinity Ultra with lithiums. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif Screwed that one up!
My other option is to get an 18-pack of Rayovac AA batteries for $6, I should be fine then!

paulr

Flashaholic
Bent, if you're carrying a NiMH charger anyway, I just don't see why you want to bring a load of throwaway batteries for the Arc AA, instead of a couple more NiMH cells. I use a NiMH in my CMG Ultra-G and it works fine. I'm not trying to make a sales pitch but this just seems like the obvious solution.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will try it with NiMH...probably use it with NiMH,
If you are in the middle of nowhere...with a bunch of AA and D cell batteries...and people run out of them. Oh Yeah! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Need to get off my butt and get a AAA, AA and D cell charger. The Micro needs to be fed... the regular cells are for trading...I trade you this 2AA minimag with 18 batteries and three spare bulbs for that useless E2E. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Dave Wright

Enlightened
The CMG Infinity will run brighter and shorter on NiMH than the Arc AA on NiMH. That's because the CMG is more regulated. The Arc, on the other hand, is more efficient than the CMG - more lumen hours per battery.

Go with the Arc AA if you want better runtime from NiMH. Go with the CMG if you want better brightness.

Zeppert

Enlightened
I'm waiting for my Arc AA to arrive and when it does I'm throwing in the Lithiums. I get a decent price on them so I use them fairly often. Can't wait to try it out against the Arc AAA's and CMG Ultra's.

Likebright

Enlightened
I put a NiMH in my ARC AA and it made it about twice as heavy as it was with the lithium battery in it. Since the thing resides in the bottom of my pocket I like it as liite as possible. Back went the L91.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.