Random questions

Prepped

Enlightened
Rather than start a new thread on each of these questions, I figured it would be easier to consolidate them all here. I'm sure between all the expertise and knowledge on the site someone will be able to answer them. Thanks!

Question 1: In regards to heat output, will say for example, a 1000 lumen output, always produce the same amount of heat at the emitter? I know that flashlight material and shape/size etc all dissipate heat differently, but at the emitter itself is the heat always going to be the same?

Question 2: Will a certain color temperature always give the same CRI? So say for example (not that this is true) a color temperature of 4000k will give a CRI of let's say 85. Or are there more factors at play?

Question 3: I just purchased a Nitecore SRT5, and other than it's highest output setting, it slowly ramps up to the selected setting, and takes a split second to attain the full desired brightness. What is the purpose to this? Does it preserve the life of the LED?

Thanks CPFers! lovecpf

rishabharies

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, this is a good idea. I too am looking for some answers and searching the threads but maybe someone can just point me in the right direction. I'm looking for an EDC, pen type, with pocket clip, maximum output of around 500lm, throw doesn't matter, more flood type than a tight Hotspot and simmering that will grab people's attention when i pull it out of my pocket, battery no preference, color no preference, maximum length about 6 to 8 inches tall.
Thanks guys and girls.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Rather than start a new thread on each of these questions, I figured it would be easier to consolidate them all here. I'm sure between all the expertise and knowledge on the site someone will be able to answer them. Thanks!

Question 1: In regards to heat output, will say for example, a 1000 lumen output, always produce the same amount of heat at the emitter? I know that flashlight material and shape/size etc all dissipate heat differently, but at the emitter itself is the heat always going to be the same?

No

Question 2: Will a certain color temperature always give the same CRI? So say for example (not that this is true) a color temperature of 4000k will give a CRI of let's say 85. Or are there more factors at play?

No, there are "more factors"

Question 3: I just purchased a Nitecore SRT5, and other than it's highest output setting, it slowly ramps up to the selected setting, and takes a split second to attain the full desired brightness. What is the purpose to this? Does it preserve the life of the LED?

I'm not familiar with the SRT5, but some flashlight circuits incorporate a "softstart" . This was initially designed for incandescent lamps, especially those with high current loads.

Hey guys, this is a good idea. I too am looking for some answers and searching the threads but maybe someone can just point me in the right direction. I'm looking for an EDC, pen type, with pocket clip, maximum output of around 500lm, throw doesn't matter, more flood type than a tight Hotspot and simmering that will grab people's attention when i pull it out of my pocket, battery no preference, color no preference, maximum length about 6 to 8 inches tall.
Thanks guys and girls.

I'm not trying to be flippant, but there are already entire separate threads (and even subforums) on each of these questions.

The second post might benefit from posting in the "Recommend me a light" subforum, instead.

I think a thread with "random questions" might just turn into a mess ... :shrug:

rishabharies

Newly Enlightened
No

I'm not trying to be flippant, but there are already entire separate threads (and even subforums) on each of these questions.

The second post might benefit from posting in the "Recommend me a light" subforum, instead.

I think a thread with "random questions" might just turn into a mess ... :shrug:

Cool, I'm still kinda new here, didn't mean to offend anyone, thanks again.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Cool, I'm still kinda new here, didn't mean to offend anyone, thanks again.
Oh, no offense taken.

You are just much more likely to get useful advice if you post your question in the subforum specifically set up to answer "Recommend me a light" inquiries.

There is a questionnaire listed as a "sticky" at the top of that forum. If you "copy/paste" from it, and list an answer to each section, you will get prompt responses tailored to your exact requirements.

rishabharies

Newly Enlightened
Oh, no offense taken.

You are just much more likely to get useful advice if you post your question in the subforum specifically set up to answer "Recommend me a light" inquiries.

There is a questionnaire listed as a "sticky" at the top of that forum. If you "copy/paste" from it, and list an answer to each section, you will get prompt responses tailored to your exact requirements.

Thanx.