New Beam Shots Featuring the new Muyshondt Aeon MKIII and HDS High CRI

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi folks. I've always enjoyed beam shots. In addition, Lucky Light Bank sent a sample of a Lumintop TD16 for me to try so I wanted to grab a beam shot of that one, and having JUST received my Aeon MKIII and HDS High CRI, I figured it was time.

No narrative needed. Same view I always use - my storage building. A bit of trash to the right - my wife and I did a spring cleaning on our storage building today and threw away lots of stuff. :eek:

The camera - Canon 40D with Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 lens. ISO 1600, 28mm focal length, f/6.3, 0.8 second exposure, color temp manually set to 5000k.

Kind of a cloudy day this afternoon...control daylight

Control dark - lots of light pollution from my LED building lights and the bedroom windows

With no further adieu, the beam shots. Aeon MKIII

HDS High CRI (219B)

HDS XPG2

Lumintop TD16

Olight S1 Ti Neutral

Zebralight SC62w

Zebralight SC600 MKIII HI

An animated gif of the photos in the same order:

Enjoy!

Newguy2012

Enlightened
Why does the HDS High CRI look so much brighter than the Aeon mk3? The LED used and lumens specs are identical.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why does the HDS High CRI look so much brighter than the Aeon mk3? The LED used and lumens specs are identical.

Reflector size mainly.

I agree with F89, it is mainly reflector size. The specs do differ ever so slightly, though. The Aeon is rated for 180 lumen on high and the HDS for 200. Apprehensive even as I type this - I measured them both in my home made sphere - yes, "home made", but it's been around for 6 years (see here) and has proven reliable. I calibrate it regularly and read both lights a bit lower than their rated spec, with the Aeon being about 60 lumen lower reading than the HDS.

I'm not going to say what the actual readings were for either light lest I open a can of worms. I will say that they are both bright on high, and they both have absolutely beautiful beams. The HDS has a more defined hot spot and the Aeon is a bit more floody. Both very useful for my needs.

Here's a quick iPhone photo of the 2 side by side lighting up Heidi, my overweight 12 year old Sheltie...

thehollowhands

Newly Enlightened
Wonderful work, thank you! It's really helpful.

I've an Aeon and I agree that it has a beautiful beam.
The funny thing is that after seeing this comparison, I'm even more inclined to get an SC63 because the SC62 looks absolutely awesome!

TA_ls1

Enlightened
I love your beam shots and animation comparing all, thanks. It makes me also appreciate my sc62w even more and reinforces my decision to order the sc600 mkiii hi last week.