Moore's Law for LEDs...Excellent Article

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moore\'s Law for LEDs...Excellent Article

Turns out there is a Moore's Law equivelnt for LEDs, known as Haitz's Law:
"Since around 1968, LED luminous output (flux, which is measured in lumens) per "package" of LEDs has doubled every two years, following Haitz's law, just as the number of transistors on a chip has followed Moore's law at the same pace ..."
cap_109484.gif

Haitz was a former head of R&D at agilent, full article can be found here: Laser Focus World

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
Re: Moore\'s Law for LEDs...Excellent Article

Wow very nice...

havent seen the artcile yet but the past cuple years may have not been in line with Morre's law as far as PC's go...I havent seen a new proceesor in forever much less than one twice as fast as 2 years ago (2.1 gig we should be seeing some 4.2+ but nope. I think we have hit a platue for a bit till the new die technology comes into play then I bet we pick the average back up) .

coloradotim

Newly Enlightened

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

I want to see one of those 300 lumen LEDs! And the article claims that a 5-watt Luxeon puts out 150 lumens. Doesn't SureFire claim less than half that for the L4, 5 & 6?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire lumen ratings are always conservative. I think they quote a "worse case" scenario, IE a U binned 5 watter making 80 lumens, then adding the losses incurred by the reflector and lens. It would not surprise me in the least if the average L5/6 made double the quoted output.

LEDependent

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
The primary obstacles to solid-state lighting for general illumination involve getting enough photons out of solid-state devices to replace the brightness of existing sources, and also with getting those photons out efficiently enough to compete with the cost of existing sources, Ferguson said. Nakamura agreed, noting that the solid-state target for general illumination is about <font color="red">200 W/lumen</font>, while existing sources are in the low 10s

[/ QUOTE ]200 Watts per Lumen, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif