X200 LED weaponlite first impressions...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I just got this today, and these are very preliminary impressions:

This is a tiny light, and doesn't weigh much. The head is aluminum, with the lens protected by the scalloped bezel. The mount is plastic (or nylon).

Activation is by thumb actuated switch, which is universal: up or down movement operates the light but no momentary.

Beam wise: it's a very narrow beam LED, with a slightly bluish tint with yell0ow outlines. The hotspost is a slightly distorted diamond shape, with little sidespill/flood. There is also a thin corona of light that circles the hot spot. The beam is VERY similar to Pelican's M8/LED.

Overall, I'm undecided about the LED weapon light concept. The compact size is cool, the beam...I dunno, yet...

--dan

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Dano,
I made the same mistake. For momentary, just push in the switches (either one) straight in from the back. Youhave momentary! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"...the LED weapon light concept."
I'm convinced that LEDs will be more than adequate for 'dedicated' use. I've tested McGizmo's PR917*E2 in a couple of shoulder weapons and it has stood up to the pounding. I have a X200 in front of me as I type this. Indeed it is quite small compared to the incandescent variants. I would like to see this in an even smaller package a la 2 CR2 cells in tandem. Twenty to 25 minutes of constant on runtime would be plentiful for most of the applications that I beleive a handgun mounted flashlight would be used in. I'd like to see more throw as well. The two PR heads in my possesion easily beat this Surefire offering. Given this is 1st Gen, I will not be surprised to see PK develop this further. This product is just begging to get a Novak Carry Bevel Package treatment or a "meltdown" from Clark's.

Overall, it is a significant improvement in carryability over its incandescent bretheren. Nice job, PK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
KT speaks, the folk listens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
bernhard

D

**DONOTDELETE**

ROTF (and having a little difficulty getting my ancient stern back up) LMAO! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure about this model, still. The toggle for constant on is o.k., but pushing the switch for momentary seems a bit odd, and would be difficult to do in conjunction with the operation of the firearm...

I'll ponder this a bit more...

--dan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Dan,

I'm not completely sold on this model, too. It is a significant step but this model is but a mere milestone in the LED flashlight development continuum. I am sold on the LED used, however. In my book, it is the equivalent of the Surefire P60 LA. My reaction when I first activated the PR917*E2 that Don built for me was the same as when I first saw the P60 output in late '88.

I am not ready to recommend the X200. It is far too early in the eval process. I have to admit, however, that I do like the trend of the minimal mass and weight of, or, rather, the lack of, the platform.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
madecov,

There is a domed pyrex window and the special plastic optic is protected within.

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dano said:
Ahhh...but it doesn't fit my USP....hhmmm....might need a new home...

--dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure it will fit my Glock 20...so if you're really looking to send it to a good new home....let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Probably not everybody knows just how "tactical" I am... but my X200 will soon be my primary bike light. I just need to spread that beam a bit, and I'm set. There really couldn't be a better configuration for a handlebar-mounted bike light. If anybody has an idea on a rail adapter that I can modify for a bike, let me know!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Darell,

I am not at liberty to share my tactical prowess with the public but here is a tactical application that I can share, a portable "command center" administrative desk/ map reading variation:

X200-desklamp.jpg

This will receive full field testing in the next month..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Don -

Looks great, but probably needs more Lockline. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, once you start making the X2PR adapter, I'm all over it like slap on a happy. Gimme, gimme, gimme.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
Dan/Kogatana,

Do you think this light is worth using in place of an Insight M3 or M3-LED? It wouldn't be for dedicated handgun use, but kept handy for occasional building searches and warrant entries. If the beam is anything like an L4 or L5 then that would make it worthwhile, but the focusing lens kinda scares me... (Inova X1!)

Thanks for any info!

Dennis.

E__WOK

Newly Enlightened
The X200 blows any M3 version away, even the M3X. Even with fresh batteries, the M3 has a yellowish beam.

The beam is noticeably tighter than the L4 but still useful for room searches.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Dennis,

Output-wise, it would be fine for me for occasional building searches. Warrant entries, well that's another story. If going in "hot," I prefer the round, cylindrical-bodied light just because I've been training and using one for the last 16 years. MY hand is acclimated to the endswitch configuration and I would feel strange holding this short stubby light with different controls and contours. I haven't even begun doing my eval on this model so I won't jump the gun with an outright recommendation.

Don,

I was scrolling through this thread and when I reached your post, I thought you took a cue from Bernhard's avatar and built a light around that image. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
KT,

I'm trying to refrain from taking the X200 topic away from its weapon light design and applications but this is difficult for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Below is a lethal weapon mount of the X200 that most of us can relate to:

X200-bikini.jpg

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif