what's the big deal, longbow and 25 lumens?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
what\'s the big deal, longbow and 25 lumens?

I saw all the interest in the longbow and went to their site and found most of the lights were 25-28 lumens and frankly I wasn't impressed by their output. Of course there are other factors like build quality and impressions etc. But maybe someone can tell me what's so great about another low output led light. I've got arcs, Mclux 917McGizmo pr, and a special super baby pin with the ultimate VIP to come. Is this light really better in some way or does everyone have let's spend some money fever?

Aten_Imago

Banned
Re: what\'s the big deal, longbow and 25 lumens?

keithhr -
I haven't seen the Longbow yet... but will soon. You make an important point RE build quality. A flashlight's (any technology really) value is more than about the raw output/per dollar ratio. Output/per dollar is surely only one dimension of a multi-dimentional product experience? Please check out our review format. http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/FLR.htm It adds the rest of these dimensions - ergonomics, mounting/stowage options,usability,beam quality,candle/lanyard/tent friendlieness, affordances,after-market support,upgradability and so on. I'll eventually also challenge manufacturers to state the context of use for thier lights.
Aten

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Haha, I have to admit it does seem like there is a lot of LongBow hype going on lately but I think alot of it isn't hype but the truth. My Micra is brighter than any stock Arc LS that I have and the color tint of mine is better than any "premium" LS I've seen. Can't compare these to McLuxPR 917s since thats a big margin in power output and the PR of course will eat any optic in throw, IMO. PRs are also in a different price class as well as the VIP.

Longbows are easily serviceable and upgradeable unlike Arcs not to mention the quality of LongBows well over Arc. I'm not a LongBow dealer nor am I someone who hates Arc, I just really think LongBow is something we're going to see alot of around here.

There is a LongBow passaround going on right now. Once you get one in your hands to play with, I'm confident you'll see the same.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have a Longbow yet, but I'm getting the impression that people think the Longbow has higher quality. If true, its one heck of a deal since Longbows are CHEAPER than comparable Arcs.

I gotta get me a Longbow.

Skyline

Enlightened

If it was just about output, I'd whip out my Surefire M6. Heck, I could buy a McCulloch HID.

For some people, it's about getting the most output out of the smallest package, period.

For me, it's about a small form factor for EDC, high quality for durability and "no surprises", and good output/tint color. Plus, the price is right. The HA Black doesn't hurt either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The other 1W Luxeons I have are the E1/KL1, Arc LSL-S, and Arc4+. Right now, the Micra is looking good.

was_jlh

Enlightened

Can't explain it any better than Sky.

sygyzy

Enlightened

Someone should create sortable chart of lumens, throw, dimensions, weight etc. Then you can see for instance, which flashlight is the smallest with brightest light...measured in volume or weight or a combination.

Aten_Imago

Banned

sygyzy
Your idea is a good one. Actually a simple table(s) would do the same thing. I say several tables- pre-organized by some common denominator- say 1W, 3W, & 5 W luxeons, and 1-CR123, 2-CR123,and AA packs along one axis. Then another axis would plot 'features' output, weight and then I would throw in the 'soft features' like stowage/carry options, upgradability etc. I'd be willing to work with a couple of others on this- a team project. I know the FlashlightReviews.com has a neat side-by-side beamshot wizard.Maybe he'd be willing to lead a project like this???

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Darkzero hit it on the head, brighter and whiter than the current favorite ARC and alot less $$'s. Just got mine today from Bulldog, it aint no hype.

ws

Newly Enlightened

See my review on the Longbow at the review thread. They have some interesting things coming up, and the 5 watt LED capsule would make it as bright as an L4 (can't compare coz I don't have an L4).

sidespill

Enlightened

Keithhr,

Why not just buy a Longbow EDC it a bit and see if it grows on you? If it doesn't put up for sale on B/S/T. Sounds like you have several lights in the same form factor. I have ARCs, SFs, and Mclux variations I enjoy them all. I enjoy my micra as well. But if 25-28 lumens does not appeal to you and output is your main concern then you might not be too exited about this one. Do I have " let's spend money fever " not really just want to build on my collection fever. I don't think there will ever be the " ultimate " flashlight for me, the day that happens is the day this hobby dies. I say give it a try sir

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I just got a LongBow today and I think it is an intelligent and thoughtful execution of a 1W LED light with a solid base on modularity and good quality for good price. The packaging and attention to detail seem very professional to me. For an optic based light, it is well done, IMHO. Of course I have no intention of leaving it alone and as is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Instead of calling it a big deal, perhaps a good and honest deal might be better terms?