Addicted to bargains...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keithhr's thread about flashlight elitism (and borderline 12 step dependency) points out that different people are here for different reasons. For me, it's partly an extension of a more or less lifelong search for bargains which is now applied to this new class of toys. Of course I like flashlights per se, but I now have more than needed for any practical purpose (don't we all). The rest are for fun or - better yet - scratching the BARGAIN itch.

Flashlights provide a near perfect field for bargain hunting: diverse, distributed, complex, supported by internet searches and poking around stores; and it's more (but not completely) socially acceptable than gun and knife bargain hunting. And when I find flashlight bargains, I usually buy a bunch because I can't stand not to when it's such a good deal.

Whenever I use a light that I got a good deal on, it gives me a little tickle that transcends any measure of lumens or lux. I don't include run time, because it's not a bargain if it doesn't have good run time.

So I don't have many high end lights (haven't evolved that far yet), but I have more than enough Countycom $1 lights, Dorcy 1xAA(A)s, Xnovas, hybrid Arc AAAs (on sale bulk ebay Arc heads with Peak LED bodies), and other low/medium end lights to buy a micra or two. But this is more fun.

So, what's everyone else's favorite bargain light out there? (deals from friends don't count)

maverick

Enlightened
Normally I'm too attracted to flashlights that I don't bother finding a bargain. I just buy the newest Surefire that comes out straight away!

nightgaunt

Newly Enlightened
Mine would probably be the Invova 24/7 I got for around $9 new or the new ARC LSH-S for $65. I also love bargins.

One day I hope to have the luxury of not having to look at the price of anything!! Until then, I'll look for the sales...

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my criteria for a bargain flashlight is that it run on rechargeable batteries, preferable AA or AAA. My Favorites:

- Dorcy AAA
- Princeton Tec Blast

Both under $10 and run on NiMH AAA batts. The Blast keeps me from spending all my money on 1W Luxeon lights.

Also the PT Tec-40 at $16 rounds out the bargain-hunter's collection with a really bright light and it also runs on NiMH, especially if you change the bulb.

And finally, the bargain hunter will want a $10 smart charger with 4 independent charging channels: the Rayovac PS-1.

Not a lot of LED lights listed here, but the new Streamlight Jr. Luxeon at $30 is looking like it could be a bargain in the world of Luxeon lights. I still don't see a good reason to trade in my Blast for it. Maybe someday.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip about the Rayovac charger, Lurker. I just got one and it truly is a bargain at $10. Beats my old unsmart charger by a mile.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, I'm a bargain price junkee. I do however, keep it in perspective. If it's something I'm gonna need or really want I'll pay a fair price. Other items I will only pick up if I can find a bargain price.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW lurker, I also found the Tec Blast for $5 + $5 shipping (for any number ordered) at here

Had to buy 3 to make the shipping worth while. Shouldn't have, but did...

paulr

Flashaholic
I bought a bunch of Blasts from TTS when they closed them out at $3 each. I've been slowly giving them away, an even better "bargain" for the recipient.

My main problem with them has been premature lamp failure. I wonder if the NiMH batteries may be causing that. Princeton Tec sent me a free replacement lamp, but who wants a light that burns out with no notice and whose replacement lamps are sort of cumbersome? It actually makes me appreciate the somewhat-despised 2aaa minimag a little bit more (spare bulb in tail).

The $1 Countycomm light is of course the bargain of the century. I've given away dozens of them and they're always appreciated.

The other big bargain I "acquired" recently is a simple mod. I took an old $3 plastic 2C flashlight I had laying around, taped together 3xCR123 cells and wrapped them in a cardboard sleeve made from a TP roll and a cardboard coffee cup insulator to replace the two C cells, and changed the bulb to a KPR118 which was $1.29 from Radio Shack. Result is a light with output throw comparable to a 2-cell SF Turbohead and with less weight (though more bulk), for under $5 plus batteries. The beam is kind of ugly, but the light is effective enough that I think I might sell my Streamlight TL3.