Super Size Me

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Morgan Spurlock has been in the limelight since the debut of his documentary, "Super Size Me." Eating only McDonalds for 30 days, Spurlock gained 25 pounds, almost lost a kidney and his cholesterol went from 160-230.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's from this news site. Morgen, though, had a sugared soft drink with his meals.

Now what happens when Deshan 'Woody' Woods does the same thing, but drinks a diet soda with each meal?

You'll find the results surprising.

Maybe the concern should be toward the soft drinks companies, instead of the fast food industry.

Negeltu

Enlightened
yeah..I've thought about this myself. I read that there is about 20 tsps of sugar in one soda.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think several people have tried it since. Most have actually lost weight. The main thing is that many of these people actually lead a normal life. ie they do some exercise and they don't absolutely stuff themselves, even if they do only eat McChucks.

I don't think Maccas is as bad as all that either, but it serves as a bit of a warning, more about a healthy lifestyle than a healthy diet.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
a major factor is genetics, there are those people who eat junk food all the time and dont gain any weight. that is what happened to woody. he just has a *really* good metabolism.
you just gotta be born with it. so woody's example is an atypical result of eating mcdonalds continuously.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
Here's the "skinny"(pun intended).I don't care if your on the Atkins,South Beach,or grapefruit diet,the formula is simple.Burn MORE than you take in = weight loss.Take in MORE than you burn = weight gain. It really is that simple.All that ANY of these diets do is eliminate something in your diet so you don't have to think about it.I know.I've competed in bodybuilding for 11 years at about 2% bodyfat and have tried EVERY diet!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do push-ups -- when the second helpings or the desserts come, push up and away from the table.

"Moderation in all things and all things in moderation."

It ain't genetics, it ain't diets -- Americans eat crappy food and too much of it. We just want someone to blame it on.

-(a different) Craig

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree completely. Metabolism might have a lot to do with what your "burn rate" is but it is simply burn more then you take in, regardless of the source. His average daily caloric intake was 2500. I can generally maintain at that rate and even lose if I crank up the exercise. Also fat and protein digest much slower then carbs so that you will feel fuller longer. I've proved this myself. For a mid afternoon snack, I tried equal caloric portions of both the Lays baked chips on one day and some peanuts on another. The peanuts kept me feeling fuller for much longer. I am surprised his cholesterol numbers decreased, though.

[ QUOTE ]
coachbigdog said:
Here's the "skinny"(pun intended).I don't care if your on the Atkins,South Beach,or grapefruit diet,the formula is simple.Burn MORE than you take in = weight loss.Take in MORE than you burn = weight gain. It really is that simple.All that ANY of these diets do is eliminate something in your diet so you don't have to think about it.I know.I've competed in bodybuilding for 11 years at about 2% bodyfat and have tried EVERY diet!

[/ QUOTE ]

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of those metabolisms people love to hate. Rode my bicycle across Oklahoma last month in the week-long ride called the Oklahoma Freewheel. Ate like a swine and rode a total of 470 miles (I rode around towns for extra entertainment and miles)

I lost 6 pounds in 7 days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Went to Arkansas after that to visit the inlaws and layed around and ate like a pig again. Lost another 2 pounds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif I call it "metabolism overshoot" or when it ramps up, it takes a loooong time for it to slow down.

In the last month, I have gained 3 pounds of it back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Laying around, not riding my bike much, eating high sugar snacks and drinking sodas seems to do it. I have to gain weight so I can lose it in the desert. The last time I was over there I dropped from 171 pounds to 155 in 32 days. The doctors told me I looked gaunt (I am over 6 feet tall) needed to gain weight. My weights now stands at 158 pounds and I have a month to go before heading out again.

The doctors explain it as an iron-clad metabolism that errs on the side of being hyper (I get my thyroid checked every year and take hormones since my radiation treatments a few years back) Although my thyroid is heavily damaged, the metabolism still rocks on. After the radioactive iodine treatments, I should be a fat *******... alas, the genetics kick in and I stay thin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

How can I gain 10 pounds in a month? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif If I eat a lot of food I get too energetic and burn it all off.

avusblue

Enlightened
Diet is just like banking.

Eat more than you burn = deposit = weight gain.

Eat less than you burn = withdrawal = weight loss.

Every person can choose to adjust two variables: The amount you eat, and the amount you burn.

Everything else is just gilding the lily.

Right on?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Part of it is th at muscle tissue is "higher maintenance" than fat. Thus if you take two people, same weight, but one has more muscle than the other, the individual with more muscle will burn more calories than the other, even if they're both just sitting still.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
Part of it is th at muscle tissue is "higher maintenance" than fat. Thus if you take two people, same weight, but one has more muscle than the other, the individual with more muscle will burn more calories than the other, even if they're both just sitting still.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is exactly why diet without exercise is only temporary.I don't care if you lose 100lbs,unless you gain muscle your resting metabolism won't increase.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHead you skinny cowboy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously though, I'm with the man from N. TX that genetics plays an overwhelming part. I'm 6'4, 175max and if I don't exercise I lose weight. And for those thinking I just don't eat then you'll have to argue with my mother in law who just loooves to have me over since I eat her out of house & home.

Example:
My wife and I go on an ice cream eating binge every once in a while. In the evening I'll bring her and myself identical bowls piled with like a pint of ice cream each and we'll vegg in front of the tube. After about a week she's complaining that she's getting fat and it's gone straight to her hips and the scale doesn't lie blah blah but me I haven't changed. And she takes care of the 3 kids, which is infinitely more exercise than I get as a computer geek with my rear planted in the chair all day.

I used to go mountain biking. Exercise was the only way for me to gain weight. I bet it's because my body just doesn't seem to do the 'fat' thing. If I don't exercise and just sit around I lose weight.