Sin City

Greta

Flashaholic
So who has seen the movie Sin City? What did you think of it?

I thought it was EXCELLENT!!! Best I've ever seen Mickey Rourke! And the best I've ever seen Britney Murphy too... and I don't even like her! Bruce Willis was his usual great self... it was great to see Rutger Hauer on the big screen again... if only briefly. And Elijah Wood's part?!?!?! OMG!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Another FANTASTIC and CLASSIC Quentin Tarentino flick!!! TWO THUMBS UP!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i still havent been to a movie in years.but ill rent it on dvd sasz .

Santelmo

Enlightened
I'm a comic buff too so I'm also looking forward to how they made it. Mickey Rourke really is a good actor like in Rumble Fish and Francesco (Life of St. Francis) but has always been sort of "underutilized". He was also once real-life amateur boxer to boot.

Greta

Flashaholic
Santelmo... if you're a comic buff, you'll LOVE the way this movie is done!! It's all in black and white with certain things occasionally popping out in color. The thing that "got" me the most was the blood. It would be like you'd see in a black and white comic book. Then for a minute or two, you'd see it in "real life" red. It was VERY well done! And the neatest part was the "Sam Spade" like narration by the characters. Also lots of "shades" of Pulp Fiction.

At first, I didn't recognize Mickey Rourke. I had to ask my husband, "Who's that?"... He was awesome!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Sin City was downright brutal. Entertaining, but way over the top and no shortage of colateral damage.

Gotta love the psycho in the Charlie Brown sweater.

The physics were interesting. Cars catch massive air on every little bump and have amazing suspension. Fishtailing is the norm.

I liked the perspective tricks as well - things were huge and sweeping.

How did that one reviewer put it? "It's more hard-boiled than a 6-hour egg."

iddibhai

Enlightened
haven't seen it, probably won't anytime soon, but dang it if the trailers don't look fantastic! and soundtrack is smashing. i love this genre and the way it is done (at least if the trailers are any indication).

darkgear.com

Enlightened
I saw it Friday and WOW it was an experience. Any of the Sin City comic fans will love this movie. I was so surprised to see that Frank Miller, one of my favorite book authors, was actually a director of this movie. Probably one of the reasons it was such a success. Go see it, it will not disappoint.

Best regards,
Randy

PS maybe Frank Miller will bring Ronin to the big screen now. My personal favorite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

edit: Just read that Rodriguez insisted that Miller receive a "co-director" credit. This credit was not approved by The Directors' Guild of America. So Rodriguez resigned from the DGA to give Miller co-director credit. Rodriigues even had to give up his director's seat on another film with Paramount because of this. Good move IMHO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

iddibhai

Enlightened
ronin? didn't they make that movie already? de niro et al? noted for it's car chases more than anything else?

bhds

Enlightened
I saw it this weekend and I'm still trying to figure out if I liked it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Kind of the same feeling as when I first saw The Fifth Element. The main thing that I am having a hard time with is how the 3 stories tied together. Are they even supposed to? If someone could enlighten me... The Mickey Rourke story was the best one. Not much of a stretch for him as far as acting goes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The one thing I definitely liked was Rosario Dawson. Mee-ow!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Another FANTASTIC and CLASSIC Quentin Tarentino flick!!! TWO THUMBS UP!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is NOT a Quentin Tarantino movie. He was a guest director who did a grand total of one scene because Rodriguez wanted to show him what it was like to shoot in digital.

Mark

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone else see where Bruce Willis brought his 16 and 11 year old daughters with him to the premiere?

What an idiot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Peter

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Minjin said:
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is NOT a Quentin Tarantino movie. He was a guest director who did a grand total of one scene because Rodriguez wanted to show him what it was like to shoot in digital.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Quentin Tarantino is listed in the credits as a "Guest Director". I guess it's semantics whether or not it is a Tarantino flick. The style and "twist" to it definately smacked as "Tarantino-ish". Forgive my ignorance in calling it a Tarantino flick. I do think though that those who are Tarantino fans will think of this as a Tarantino flick. It just had all of the earmarks and was very reminiscent of the Tarantino smash, "Pulp Fiction". There was even one line by Bruce Willis toward the end... I can't remember it exactly but he is speaking to Nancy. And the way he delivered the line and the setting reminded me so much of the line in "Pulp Fiction"... "It's a chopper baby"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Again... semantics, I suppose... but thank you for pointing out my error to me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like a movie that has a whole lot of interesting things about it, but I am just not a fan of the excessive graphic violence in the movies that it is being compared to. I guess I'll be skipping this one. But I'm glad you all enjoyed it.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool. It looked cool from the previews. I might have to go to the theatre for the first time in years.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother said that all his friends said it sucked. I dont like depending on he said she said.... situations but from what I heard that described the movie, the screenplay, the actors, the setting, I think I dont want to watch it. Not that I can anyway, its R rated right?

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
So who has seen the movie Sin City? What did you think of it?

I thought it was EXCELLENT!!! Best I've ever seen Mickey Rourke! And the best I've ever seen Britney Murphy too... and I don't even like her! Bruce Willis was his usual great self... it was great to see Rutger Hauer on the big screen again... if only briefly. And Elijah Wood's part?!?!?! OMG!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife and I saw it, and we really liked it. She picked up one of Frank Miller's Sin City Graphic Novels (it's not really a comic book) a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't read anything like that in years, but I love hard-boiled crime / detective stories, and it was really very well done. It was 'The hard goodbye', the Mickey Rourke story in the movie. The art in the book is really quite amazing, and the movie really captures the feel of it very well. Well, not just the feel - it really was a very, very faithful reproduction of the original novel. I think reading it first probably added to our enjoyment. Rourke really nailed the character of Marv.

The line about "modern cars look like electric shavers" just cracks me up!