What I've learned from Katrina & Rita

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
While watching the chaos of the past few months, I've learned a few things. For one, do not rely on batteries that are hard to find. That CR123, CR2. Make sure your flashlight can handle a good dunking and more. Make sure you batteries are in "waterproof" containers (Pelican cases). Pack a good xenon strobe that is SOLAS rated. Did I miss anything?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the SL 4AA Lux would work for you, unless you require a light that floats.

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
All my survival gear is AA powered.

GPS
Two way radios GMRS/FRS
AM/FM/Shortwave
CB
SSB
Flashlights

I keep 15-20 AA batteries in the frig at all times. AA batteries can be pilaged from many places, when you think about it, on your block alone there are probably a hundred AA's in TV and VCR/DVD remotes alone. In an emergency situation when resouces are pooled, AA's would be the most readily availible battery.

Setup your vital gear to be AA exclusive.

Last edited:

TorchMan

Enlightened
Well, that's true to a point about the AA batteries. I did notice that during the Rita scare here in Houston, CR123as were still on the racks, all the common batteries were gone. Of course at the store prices, no one was buying CR123a.

I do have several of the common ones, but also have around 50 CR123a, and would indeed rely on my lights that use them more than those that use common batteries.

Now being out in the country, or some rural area, say hunting or fishing, if I didn't take extra CR123a, I might have more of a problem. And I do have some lights that take D, C, AA, AAA batteries. Also, many of my CR123a lights are LED with adjustable level, or hybrids with LEDs and incans.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the bad thing about common batteries is just that, they are the ones most people need, and in times like approaching hurricanes, they sell out as fast as bottled water and plywood!

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know Torchman, you got a point. I remember when Gloria came these ways, way back in 1985. I went to the local store and you are right, all their batteries were sold out but I bet if I had gone to the drugstore I could still find some CR123s. But I too, especially with regulation in lights, more and more starting to go back to the old standard. It's true I can buy CR123s online for cheap money but I can get a 40 pack of AAs at Costco for ten bucks or so.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
This thread outlines yet another reason I don't purchase lights using CR123 cells. The other main reason is that there are no readily available rechargeable replacements for them (R123s still leave a lot to be desired in terms of safety, cost, capacity, and availability). Lights using AAs let me use my stock of rechargeables, or even pilfer an alkaline from a remote or a clock in a pinch.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm not getting the backlash against CR123 lights here :)

If i have to bug in then the 4 pack of CR123's in the fridge will last my Q3 for all it's bright spotting needs for the entire 2 weeks that you might be stuck in the dark. Room lighting and getting to the bathroom should be accomplished with lower intensity AA or D powered lights or lanterns with longer runtimes.

Equally, my 5 watt Luxeon can run probably a whole 2 weeks of everything necessary to be spotted with that kind of light on 2 4 packs from battery station or amondo tech.

Throwing a couple of packs of CR123's into the bugout bag will not break your back or your pocketbook, but will allow you to use some nice bright spotting and searching lights for any reasonable amount of time. You wouldn't want that to be your only light source, but for anybody posting here thats unlikely to be a problem ;)

we're not talking about the end of civilization as we know it, just a temporary interruption right? You're either stuck at home without power for an extended time, or your on the road trying to get out of the area without power. I hope that anybody here would agree that requires both a traditional battery powered long runtime lower output light, as well as a really bright light for the times you need to see further away or to startle someone into giving you some respect.

TorchMan

Enlightened
It's sorta two opposing philosophies, both with valid points. Yeah, you can scrounge from your neighbors remotes, etc. But that is an extreme circumstance to me. Beyond Katrina!

My CR123s would have lasted me through that, barring unforseen duds and not being able to get to them for some reason. Yeah, my incans would suck the juice out the batteries fast. But my LEDs, being that I would run them on low, and the HDS takes only one battery, would likely far exceed any disaster caused power outtage!

I run the U2, U60 and Gladius on lower modes more than full tilt. Add two VB-16s that are on the way to the mixture, and I'm okay with my stash of CR123 for a long time!

I've also got some LED lights that run on common batteries, but I think the runtimes are way over stated. Still better than incans, but overstated.

Bottom line for a stay at home scenario, have a stash of all things, including all types of batteries your lights and gear run on. If bugging out, take the batteries!

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an interesting topic. I live in earthquake country.

I think that James S and Torchman hit the nail on the head.

I think that people would serve themselves well to differentiate between a temporary disruption and a long-term or bugout situation.
We are looking at short-term and long-term scenario's.

I think 123 powered lights are fine for most situations and I do believe that you would find them on the shelves because they are so expensive...heck, hardly any of the regular public buys them now! Mr.& Mrs. Joe Q Public have a Maglite.

For a longer term scenario having different types of lights that take different batteries is a good idea, especially if your scenario keeps you at home. They don't have to be expensive lights just fairly reliable. A good stock of batteries at home is always a good idea. Don't wait until everyone panics and hits the stores or you will most likely be out of luck.

A bug out scenario is quite a different animal. If you want to call Katrina a bugout situation you can. But your safe destination will most likely be in a civilized place that has plenty of battieries. To get you through the journey safely, from bugout to safe location may require an extended period of time and overnight stays. You may want to specifically bring AA battery powered lights and gear exactly because you can scavage those types of batteries. I would still bring my 123 lights too though.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
chiphead said:
While watching the chaos of the past few months, I've learned a few things. For one, do not rely on batteries that are hard to find. That CR123, CR2. Make sure your flashlight can handle a good dunking and more. Make sure you batteries are in "waterproof" containers (Pelican cases). Pack a good xenon strobe that is SOLAS rated. Did I miss anything?

sounds like your an experienced prepper now

Personally I've got six dozen 123's in my storage and another 18 "dozen" AA, C, D cells in storage. 4-15 gal drums of water, 6 cases of bottled stuff, food, medical and hygene supplies tools, radios- FSR, HAM etc etc.

I do need a Honda EU2000 though...

Those of you who won't buy a flashlight that uses 123's are missing out on some (most?) of the best flashlights out there, that is sad.

A couple of points for you;

1) 123 will store for an easy 10 yrs, actually several years longer than that
2) Lithiums will operate under more environmental extremes
3) Lithiums have a higher energy density and will allow for brighter and /or longer runtimes in a smaller, easier to carry flashlight.
4) Variety! what do you do when all your AA's or D's or whatever are out?
5) It's less likely your going to have to share your 123's with a neighbor!

"Pisst, Hey buddy got any AA's?"
"Nope, but got ton's of C cells, can ya use them?"
"Dang! no, ALL my stuff ONLY runs on AA's"
"Sorry seems like everyone wants only AA's"

Seems to me having a couple lights that are powered off of 123's AA's, C's, D's would be the true flashaholic thing.

Last edited:

PacketStorm

Newly Enlightened
The other thing that came to mind for me, when watching all the hurricane chaos, was the need for rechargeables and a small solar panel. Depending on the situation, there could be a time when the length of the disaster exceeded your battery supply. Even when doing as spacetroll said (making all your survival gear rely on a single battery type - superb idea) you could end up in a situation where you exhaust all of your fresh batteries.

Having a small solar panel, say 15 volt @ a few amps, would allow you to charge not only your small batteries, but also would allow you to charge up any lead acid batteries you may have (computer UPS) and allow you to power 120 volt loads through an inverter. :naughty:

A small refrigerator, AC unit, or heater could end up being a lifesaver in a lengthy adverse situation! :)

turbodog

Flashaholic
From being in the path of Katrina and seeing firsthand the damage, I can tell you that anyone could make it though weeks with only 2-3 sets of cells.

More importantly you need:
clean water
food
first aid
shelter
protection (gun/knife/sharp stick/whatever)

Solar panels? Are you serious? You're gonna babysit them all day long while they charge? If not, expect them to get stolen.

If you think of this more like camping, you're on the right track.

Also, a can of spray paint is useful for painting "you loot, we shoot" on the side of your house.

You're gonna be busy enough cleaning up and foraging for food during the day that you will want to rest at night and not be running around in the dark with a light.

Even on a dark night, you eyes will adapt.

Ever try to go without food or water for 3-4 days? While living in your front yard in a tent in front of what USED to be your house?

If we want to gossip about lights, fine. But if you're really making a disaster kit, you need enough food/water/supplies to make it 3-4 days. That's how long you may have to wait for help to arrive.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm thinking of getting several 15 gallon drums and putting gas and Sta-bil in them.

For days after Rita we had to go 30+ miles to get any and then we couldn't get much!

We have bottled water and canned food as a matter of course!

BackBlast

Newly Enlightened
I think one must be careful of the approach taken to be prepared for a disaster or the end of the world as we know it senario. Personally, I think it's a bad idea to plan on "scrounging" anything. If it's not in your own stores, don't count on it, don't even make it part of "Plan A". Stocking CR123s or AAs then becomes a matter of economics and personal preference and weighing the pros and cons of the batteries themselves and the devices they power.

I choose AA due to the price per watt hour of power, and Ds are next in line. NiMH works well for regular use in these sizes, and NiCd works for a cheap rechargeable in extreem environments (freezing, or worse) - though you can always warm up a battery in your pocket. Lithium shines here especially. I try to only have devices that run off these two types of batteries (AA & D), not just flashlights but radios and other emergency gear. The more types you add the higher amount of logistics/support/planning you will require to feed your appliances, experience is probably the best teacher here.

WinstonSmith

Newly Enlightened
Man I love a good long-run 123 LED light for general purposes, and a nice light cannon for bumps in the night, but for inside lighting over the long haul, a few gallons of kerosene and a dietz lantern or two per room will get er done and keep the battery monkey off your back.

Cost is under ten cents per hour. A five gallon can of kero will last a good long while, and the lamps themselves run about 8 hours on one filling. If the smell gets to you, Wallyworld has liquid paraffin "Lamp Oil" for a few bucks a gallon. Tradeoff is less light, and the wicks are then ruined for use with kero apparently.

It's not great light, I think the #78's I have run at about 8 candlepower, but it's plenty for getting around the house at night. I've used them in that role a few times, and taken them camping plenty. The only blowout I've had was standing on a beach in the middle of a nor'easter.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an extensive BOB in my SUV but all of it is kept in a small backpack. I have a bunch of L91 AA Lithium spare batteries to run lights like the regulated 4AA ProPoly Luxeon and the 10-LED ebay single AA. (After reading this thread, I will be getting some waterproof cases for them)

I have a couple of MJLEDs and a MiniStar2 in 2AA minimags. Also have a couple of small loooong running AAA headlamps using the long lasting lithium AAA. (at least 60hrs runtime)

A single Eternalight could do the trick for most things and last a heck of a long time but they are not the in the extra bright catagory.

I also have my favorite Tiger11 with the pepper spray and a car charger/adaptor.

And I usually have a couple of other flashlights in the glovebox, depending on what is interesting that week :)

One other thing I have in the SUV is one of these inverters from RadioShack.
http://tinyurl.com/bsq2u
I've used it to charge my laptop or cellphone and can use it for many other things.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have numerous lights for almost every type of common battery but the one I like best for hurricane preparedness is the Streamlight Twin Task 3C. Even when almost all the batteries are gone from the shelves of the stores, there are usually lots of C batteries there. And the light lasts a long time on 3 batteries on LED mode.

I keep 40-60 AA, AAA, and CR123's at all times in a watertight ammo can (plastic). I keep a couple dozen D's and C's.

I also keep a fully charged spare car battery on a Battery Tender in my garage (it's useful for lot's of day to day normal stuff too) . In a power outage, it can be used to recharge the rechargable AA and AAA's as well as run small TV's and other 12V stuff. It can be recharged with your car.

Steve (in the bull's eye of hurricane Wilma as we speak)

vic303

Enlightened
Been getting into disaster preps for a bit now. We have a lot of stored basic food, some stored fuel, 3 quality water filters & some Potable Aqua pills for viruses and a ready supply of pond water nearby, a variety of lights taking a variety of batteries (9v PAL's, AA's, AAA's and cr123's, D's). Also large dogs and other zombie deterrents. Wanting to add a SL Propoly 3c NONluxeon too, but haven't bought it yet. Nice light though--got one for my Dad and he loves it. 336hr runtime on Alks cannot be beat in a 'home' situation. Would also like a SolarRoll or other SMALL solar charger for AA/AAA's.

Luckily, we live in a hurricane-free, earthquake-free zone, so barring large scale terror attacks, tornadoes or the coming Pandemic, we ought to be ok without delving into the stores much beyond rotation.

Remember, it is always a good idea to check & rotate your stored items--keeps things fresher, and lets you catch any infestations before you NEED the food!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made up a bunch of what I've called "Electric Candles" for my dad.

These use parts from Radio Shack; a 2-D cell holder, a Yellow LED, and a current limiting resistor. There is no switch, he uses a thin piece of plastic cut from a 2 liter soda bottle slipped between the battery and its contact.

These will put out approx 2 cp and with dark adapted eyes you'll be just fine. These run for a couple of hundred hours on two d-cells.

The best use of a Streamlight TT-1L is an electric candle for marginal 123's

Deanster

Enlightened
I'm a believer in versatility - AA's are great, but in amazing demand when things get rough. Nobody loots 123's at the drugstore, is all I'm saying.

I keep a mix of lights, for just this reason. 123's, CR2, AA, C, D - if there's batteries to be had, I've got a light that'll run off it...

I will note, however, that my personal 'disaster' lights all have AA-lithiums inside. Long lasting, long life, and when they die, anything from duracells to the horrible carbon-zinc AA's will drive them. My Arc-AA's and LS-H w/2AA twisty give me great comfort, along with my Petzl Evo headlamp.