CA Camping Trip Fr 9/5 thru Su 9/7

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Sequoia 99% full - Need new location

Jeff,

If the campsite is full, we might be better off elsewhere anyway. There is probably some good quality dark in or around Three Rivers? I'm game for a room at the Hilton. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Vegeta

Newly Enlightened

Did you guys realize that 9/10 is full moon? It may not be full when you go camping but it might be enough to be annoying when you want total darkness to play with your lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Full moon? Oops! I guess we find shade or get out the big guns to turn the moonlight into shadow! Darn! I wonder when it rises?

- Don

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it's a full moon, then it should rise almost immediately after sunset and stay that way for awhile...

Bummer... But I doubt the gizmos we have can be succumbed to the moon...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Zeppert

Enlightened

Ohio to California sure is far /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast

If we stay at the Hilton, I can no longer justify spending the money on my cool camping gear! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

InTheDark

Enlightened

So is the new date in September? I'm with V8Toyotatrk, if we stay at the hilton, it wouldn't be as much fun. Shining a light against a hotel wall isn't very interesting (unless you're one of those surefire beam fanatics) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

And how many people are going?

Toyota,
I'm still going up that weekend, if you want I can try and grab a campsite for you too

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Inthedark, but it might be too soon for me. I was looking at Pfeffier Big Sur State Park, and it shows the only have weekends available after the weekend that we want.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do most perfer a national park, or is the national forest also an option? Sounds like anything south of Tahoe and north of Bakersfield along the Sierras would work...

PieThatCorner

Enlightened

The Hilton doesn't sound too bad... especially if there's a bar to be found somewhere in the lobby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was really looking forward to making my first trip to the Sequoia's - it's definitely on my "must see" list, for which I've been putting off for years, but I hear what you're saying Choua, there has to be other options out there. I think with V8's original post about a CA camping trip, it would be nice to hold to what would be an actual camp trip.

Well, if there's any alternative to remaining with Jeff's Sequoia/Kings National Park idea, then that would be great. I'm fairly flat out of ideas... my only backup plan is my usual retreat - the Eastern Sierras, i.e. lower campsites at Mammoth Lakes or Yosemite.

-Jim

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Camp trip.. your input is needed

Were working on it... Sequoia National Park... Sequoia National Forrest... it seems that "parks" have more facilities, otherwise, just lines on map.

The thing to keep in mind is that the reservation system only covers the "main=most popular" campsite areas. There are hundreds of campsites in Sequoia Naitonal Park that can not be reserved. Same can be said for the "forrest".

I am sure that within this group, there are those that will want to pitch a tent, cook their meals on a open campfire, will use rocks for toilets, and a hose for a shower.

Others might have campers/vans, use a coleman stove, will want an outhouse/shower facilites etc.

Then there will be those that may wish to stay in motel outside the park with all the comforts, but will drive in during the day/evening for all the fun.

I envision that most will drive up on Friday, or even Saturday morning. I see myself on a morning hike, checking out the Sequoia Museum mid day, and then the caves in afternoon. Early dinner, and then it's FLASHIGHT time.

As there is no firm list of who's coming, its hard to judge what our needs are. One group campsite for 20? 3,4, or 8 individual campsites? 4 motel rooms?... no motel rooms?

I need more imput from everyone as to what we as a group would like to do

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Camp trip.. your input is needed

Well you can count me in. I can sleep in my van or get a room. I assume that once a spot is secured, as you have stated, some will tent it, RV it or visit it from nearby motels or cabins. Seems to me that the geographic meeting spot needs to be nailed down and then options and locations for overnighting can be discussed and selected. I'd book a room at the Hilton today if I knew it was in reasonable driving distance to the "meet".

- Don

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Camp trip.. your input is needed

You can count me in for whatever the group plans are. It doesn't matter to me, I just want to witness how large of a portion of the forest we can light up at night.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

This is an example- not(!) a recommendation. I have a shack out in the Mojave, and line-of-sight (2.5mi) is Means Dry Lake. It is a legal, off-highway rec area, and every holiday there are dozens of motor homes etc, and room for hundreds more. Surely there are similar areas mid state.

Larry

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast

Larry,

I understand what you are saying, and am one of those that have pulled over and "made my own". I have spent the last few days on the net trying to find a website that lists all such places, without success.

I sure that if I went up to Sequoia, that I could find a campsite somewhere; it might be barebones, with just a fire ring and table. Not my first choice, but I could make it work for me.

The problem is, I don't know what works for who ever else is coming

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

It would probably work better if everybody wants to come on their own time and make their own beds (whether tent or motel/hotel, car, etc), but an arrangement can be made, where everyone can meet at a designated place (say, the Sherman Tree or Kings River, for example) to either share a night hike or some sort of mass-group activity...

Just another thought...

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

I should be able to make it and I can do the car camping in the park, hotel it or just about any other method. So, hopefully this won't burdon your efforts. I'm easy. (Showers are nice, but, not necessary for me)

Hmm, that doesn't come across very well. I meant, I can take showers using one of those solar shower bags, if a regular showers place is not available.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Choua,

I think you are suggesting the right idea here. If the meet location/ camp site/ rest area/ road marker can be identified, then everyone can decide how they want to overnight and in what proximity to the meet site they do this.

Wayne,

A shower *would* be nice but I don't want you busted for indecent exposure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

- Don

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yah, I think it's just easier for people to come on their own time and leave when they're out of time, and then knowing what activities the entire group would be doing, can participate in them. So if perhaps there's a few activities everybody's going to be joining in, we can set a date for them, and have people meet at that area.

We can certainly do something like a mass night hike (make use of those flashlights), do maybe a mass barbeque if enough people are interested in it, and get to know each other in the process, and maybe do a caving trip or a fishing trip. Possibilities are always open...

If I'm not mistaken, there should be showers there in the campgrounds as well. And well, nothing's going to stop you from taking a dunk into the Kings or Kaweah River...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif