The lamps and batteries for SF Turbo heads thread

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The lamps and batteries for SF Turbo heads tre

Speaking of which:
I've been compiling a list of all "mini turbo heads" (roughly 1.5 to 2 inches, or 38 to 51mm) available on stock flashlights or as separate parts. 90 percent of them are for use with incandescents, but a few, like the Aleph 3, are for LEDs. Where should I post my list--General? or Incandescents?

Luxman

Enlightened

My D3/SRTH is on the way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Edit: Ok Size 15's. After reading some of the many threads on THs...IMO it seems that the best combination of a focused beam, good throw and runtime would be the SRTH/N2.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Hmm... I'll think about making it stickie...
Better I think for now to keep the topic alive with posts of interest!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BlueGerbil

Newly Enlightened

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
Luxman said:
My D3/SRTH is on the way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on doing a similar setup in the near future (read: as money allows) - let me know how yours turns out! Thanks!

Luxman

Enlightened

BlueGerbil,
I have not tried the D3/SRTH/N2 outside yet..but wall test shows a very nice tight beam with slightly oval shape. As for wall throw, no contest compared against the M3 even with the 225 lumen MN11. M3 spot is MUCH larger and MUCH less defined. I can easily see the SRTH/N2 spot defined anywhere within the M3/MN11 spot. I wish I had the M3 KT4/MN16 system to compare against... Since my goal was throw, and not a lot of light covering an area, I am very happy with the D3/SRTH/N2 system...and I like having the extra runtime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Like another CPF'er told me, I can always get the KT4, but maybe I should get the SRTH while I still can...

Geologist

Enlightened

OK I thought I would gain clarity by reading this post - but alas I am confused again.

I want to buy (I guess) a KT2 to be used with both a C3 and a C2. What lamp assemblies can I use in this assembly?

Also what other THs would fir the C3/C2/6P/G2(ha ha)/etc series?

Size15's

Flashaholic

The KT2 has the N2 lamp for three-SF123A batteries.
Therefore you can use the KT2 on the C3 straight away.

The KT1 has the N1 lamp for two-SF123A batteries.
Therefore you can use the KT1 on the C2/6P/G2 straight away.

If you get the KT2 for the C3 you use the KT TurboHead and purchase the N1 lamp and use it on the C2/6P/G2.

Al

Geologist

Enlightened

Are there any other lamps that I could use with this TH and 2/3 battery configuartions? Would my money be better spent on a different TH? Obviously is my goal is to maximize TH benifit based on all the lights that I have.

Can I use the MN15 & MN16 in a 3 cell configuartion with a C3 and KT2?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Can I use the MN15 & MN16 in a 3 cell configuartion with a C3 and KT2?"

Yes.

Geologist

Enlightened

Thanks for the info - I don't want to buy the TH and be limited to a 100 lumen bulb. I will want to run that 225 lumen bulb and have some fun!

Luman

Newly Enlightened
Re: The lamps and batteries for SF Turbo heads tread

I was thinking about the lamp assemblies that could be used in the M6 and Ohm's Law (V-IR or I = V/R). It seems that any lamp assembly that will work in a given light at a certain voltage will work in another supplying the same voltage. Since the M6 uses two parallel sets of three batteries (9V to the LA), it seems logical that the MN 15 and MN16 lamps would work and yield more than twice the runtime of the M3T.

If twice the battery capacity gave twice the runtime, then the MN15 would give 125 lumens produces 125 lumens for over two hours, and the MN16 put out 225 lumens for over 40 minutes. However, the MN20 lamp assembly is stated to provide 250 lumens with one hour of run time so it must be more complex than just doubling the runtime with twice the batteries. It probably something to do with the voltage supplied by the batteries decreasing as they are depleted and the resistance of the lamp is changing with current (which changes temperature).

Anyway, my question is, has anyone tried either of these lamp assemblies (MN15 or MN16) in the M6?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Luman, you get the 1 hour runtime with the MN20 because the parallel battery configuration of the M6 keeps the cells from sagging to the degree that they will when only thrree cells are used. It really does make that much of a difference. The MN16 might not handle the initial voltage spike with new cells that the parallel driven cells can deliver at startup.

Bill

wquiles

Flashaholic

:bumpit:

Bumping this thread as it has TONS of excellent information by size15's ;)

Will

Flea Bag

Enlightened

Bullzeyebill said:
Luman, you get the 1 hour runtime with the MN20 because the parallel battery configuration of the M6 keeps the cells from sagging to the degree that they will when only thrree cells are used. It really does make that much of a difference. The MN16 might not handle the initial voltage spike with new cells that the parallel driven cells can deliver at startup.

Bill

I think there were two people who mentioned putting an MN15 or MN16 into their M6 with no harmful results after a few runs. Can't remember where that thread was though. Still, it's risky considering not many other people have tried it. I plan to do it when some parts arrive.

If a MNxx filament fails due to voltage overload or similar, I hope the glass walls of the bulb will hold up, keeping the turbohead safe from damage. Anyone had their turboheads damaged by an exploding LA due purely to voltage or current overload?

Size15's

Flashaholic

I have had several bulbs explode in TurboHeads. You should be prepared that the bulb will explode and count yourself extremely lucky if only the filament breaks. If the MN15/MN16 work in your M6 you should consider buying a lottery ticket.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great thread.

A lot of useful information especially for me since I have just become a big SF lover.

Curtis

schrenz

Enlightened

I agree, great threat, a lot of information, especially about the old THs, I have now three TH flashlights (M3T, 9N an 12Z), but when I see your pics, Al...:huh: :huh:

Is the a differenz between the 12Z (M), 12... and the 7Z, shown on your pic (I've never heard of, for me it looks like a 12Z-body?).
Best regards from the world-cup-country:grin2:
Jens

Size15's

Flashaholic

schrenz said:
Is the a differenz between the 12Z (M), 12... and the 7Z, shown on your pic (I've never heard of, for me it looks like a 12Z-body?).
Best regards from the world-cup-country:grin2:
Jens

Yes.
The 12ZM body holds four-SF123A batteries.
The 7Z body holds one B65 NiCad battery stick.

(The 7Z is the same length as a 6R, only a single body so it can have the CombatGrip)

There is no SureFire body extension to convert a 6R/7Z to a four-SF123A body.

Al

schrenz

Enlightened

Thanks Al,

in another treat I've seen the 7Z and the others.

The one I' looking for is a Z3 and a 3'' Head, Surfire-Lego it ruins me:grin2: .
Greets Jens

Size15's

Flashaholic

I have a 7Z:
P43.jpg

I always thought I should have got a 12ZM rather than a 12PM, and also, I've always wanted a Z3 but never purchased one. Strange that I go for the 7Z which is inbetween and not much use!
(The reason I got it was because it came with a T4 TurboHead which is rare)

Al

Latest posts