The lamps and batteries for SF Turbo heads thread

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. The SRTH and T-Series TurboHeads accept the N5 lamp assembly and attach via the KT5 adapter collar to the 8AX/8NX.

Thanks for clarifying AL, I knew you would once you saw my question. What's your personal opinion on the SRTH vs T vs KT when running the N5 LA? I suspect the SRTH will probably come out on top of your list but lets wait and see.

By the way, isn't the 8AX+KT5 a beautiful combo? I've only had mine about a month now and just love it. The N5 is my first N series LA and it produces such a beautiful, tight, round hotspot. Now that I'm running the KT5 on my 8AX to be honest I don't even want to look at the X80, not that theirs anything particually wrong with it, it's just the N5 +KT is soooo much better IMHO.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two small gripes about running the KT5 on an 8AX.

1. Without the B90 in the tube the LA will fall right out of the head into the tube, therefore you have to have the battery in at all times if you don't want your LA rolling around in the tube.

2. I would have like for the turbohead to thread a little deeper onto the body before activating the LA. It will never be an issue for me personally, but I'm always afraid someone who isn't familiar with the 8AX is going to become confused and try to active the light by turning the bezel the wrong direction, therefore having the KT5 fall right off the body because they twisted it a little too much in the opposite direction.

Other than that a great general purpose light.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks for clarifying AL, I knew you would once you saw my question. What's your personal opinion on the SRTH vs T vs KT when running the N5 LA? I suspect the SRTH will probably come out on top of your list but lets wait and see.

By the way, isn't the 8AX+KT5 a beautiful combo? I've only had mine about a month now and just love it. The N5 is my first N series LA and it produces such a beautiful, tight, round hotspot. Now that I'm running the KT5 on my 8AX to be honest I don't even want to look at the X80, not that theirs anything particually wrong with it, it's just the N5 +KT is soooo much better IMHO.
I only have the 8NX+KT5 combination as I don't have an 8AX/L7.
P40.jpg

I really like both the 9NT and 9ANKT. They are very different and I'm not sure which one I prefer the most:
P111.jpg

Better than the 8AXKT IMHO :nana:

Regarding which TurboHead produces the 'best' beam from the N5 Lamp Assembly...
There are three considerations:
1) Risk of ruining an irreplaceable TurboHead by having a bulb explode - my use of TurboHeads has significantly decreased mores the pity because of this.

2) Ease of carry and use - the T-Series TurboHead is huge and difficult to carry.

3) Quality of beam for the sake of the beam, or for the ability to use the beam to illuminate a task - the most beautiful beams don't always mean they are the most useful.

The T5 beam is beautiful. The SRTH beam is great and more practical.
The KT5 beam is great and the KT TurboHead is something I feel more comfortable actually using. The X80 beam doesn't hold a candle to them I agree!

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks AL, your 8NX+KT5 is the same thing as my 8AX+KT5 just a different body so anything you say regarding your 8NX should apply the same to my 8AX as well. Funny you never ended up with a 8AX though, I guess it's never too late. I have a 8NX on the way as we speak, got it in a trade over on CPFM, so soon I'll have dueling commanders. I have to say it's nice to know someone still has an interest in these "old and outdated" surefire models like we're discussing here. It makes me sad that I entered the surefire game so late on and now I will probably never get to experience alot of the older lights, lamps and turboheads, some of them are such rarity's I probably couldn't find what I wanted even if I had lots of cash to spare. Well atleast I have fine members like yourself and other's who have contributed so much over the years, I very much enjoy going back and reading alot of the older threads, back when the tungsten filament was still king.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lack if LockOut of the 8-Series is an issue for me

I can understand that, however the 8AX/NX has the most solid, simple, and fail proof switching of any surefire light that comes to mind, and I think thats worth taking into consideration. Even if the 8AX switch failed (it never would because of it's simple design) I could always resort to the bezel activation. I never have to worry about my 8AX switch failing me.

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to drag the thread on but on the subject again of Surfire lamps and turboheads I though I would quickly throw in my thoughts and observations regarding the KT5 turbohead and N5 LA. I've had some time to do some compairsons.

The N5 beam from the KT5 is vastly superior in quality and usefulness when compared to the stock bezel and X80 LA, however, I have found there is a slight, but definitely noticeable decrease in brightness and whiteness when the X80 is beside the N5. I would estimate a difference of between 5 and 10 lumens.

I don't own a magnifying glass, so I can't be sure if the filament of the two lamps are the same, however, the X80 is using a much larger, clear globe whereas the N5 has a much smaller globe, but most importantly, the tip is frosted, and this is what is most likely causing the decrease in output. I've done many tests swapping lamps and battery's and the results are always the same. With that said, the N5 is a much better beam that I would take any day over the X80.

The 8 series are good lights, but this is one of the rare instances where Surefire has overrated the output of these lights. They are no where near the claimed 110 lumen rating. A P90 is easily brighter and whiter, and I don't believe the output is much greater than a P60, and even then the P60 is whiter. I estimate the 8NX/8AX to be around 80 lumens hot off the charger and an average of 60 lumens would be an honest rating.

slappomatt

Newly Enlightened
Re: The lamps and batteries for SF Turbo heads tre

Can any of the non "C" KT heads like the KT-5 be made to fit a C style body with an adapter? or does anyone know where I can find a KT-1 or 2 for a decent price? Thanks.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Can any of the non "C" KT heads like the KT-5 be made to fit a C style body with an adapter? or does anyone know where I can find a KT-1 or 2 for a decent price? Thanks.

The "KT" type TurboHead is used by the KT1 and KT2 TurboHead Kits with the adapter collar for standard-body SureFires such as the 6P and 9P, and it is also used by the KT5 TurboHead Kit with the adapter collar for the 8-Series rechargeables (8X, 8AX, 8NX & L7).

So yes, the KT TurboHead from the KT5 will fit on the adapter collar from the KT1/KT2, and also the T1/T2/T4, SRTH and screw into the LeopardLight's L120M Lamp Module Housing Body.

SureFire do not use dashes "-" between the letters and numbers of a model. The dash is used between the model and the finish, and any specific light output colour reference. For example "KT1-BK" and "KT5-HA".
There is a noteworthy exception (as there usually is) relevant to this topic and that's the "T-62" which is LeopardLight's replacement TurboHead & N62 Lamp Assembly combination (akin the R90/R95). The T-62 features the so-called "Threaded Rim TurboHead (TRTH) that was also offered on the 12ZM and 12PM Tactical Entry Lights. The SRTH (Short Rim TurboHead) was a later more compact version since SureFire never formally released the screw-in IR BeamFilter for the TRTH.

SureFire never offered the TurboHead adapter collars individually, and all TurboHeads that needed adapter collars were always sold as part of TurboHead Kits with the necessary adapter collar and appropriate Lamp Assembly.

slappomatt

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the informative reply. I have ALWAYS wanted a leef bodied light with a surefire turbo head since I saw one here. Its my wholy grail light. I see that they have the KT-5 for a really good price from LAPG but I have no idea where I would get a C adapter for it. Also leef bodies are almost gone except for the 3 18650 ones. but I guess that would do. Maybe I will just sack up and buy the real deal M4 and call it good. I can get a display model at a local store for about 200.

Ninja

Newly Enlightened

... So yes, the KT TurboHead from the KT5 will fit on the adapter collar from the KT1/KT2, and also the T1/T2/T4, SRTH and screw into the LeopardLight's L120M Lamp Module Housing Body ... & N62 Lamp Assembly combination (akin the R90/R95)... The T-62 features the so-called "Threaded Rim TurboHead (TRTH)...

Was there a N62 LED tower lamp made for the LeopardLight or MN60 & MN61 that can work with the L120M (above)?