The lamps and batteries for SF Turbo heads thread

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The lamps and batteries for SF Turbo heads tread

Hi Al

The T4 in your pic looks like a 2.5 incher with a "short rim" similar to the SRTH.

I picked up a 3 inch bell shape T head back when i first joined CPF, and the box was labelled (with a marker pen) as a T4. The bulb it came with had a green pedestal.

So was the turbohead i got mislabelled, or did SF switch to 2.5" bezels for all its turbohead models?

Size15's

Flashaholic

The T4 is in my photo and always has been a 3" diameter TurboHead.

The 12PM/12ZM/LeopardLight used the T-62 TurboHead with N62 Lamp Assembly. This 2.5" diameter Turbohead was usually one with a rim threaded on the inside to accept a screw-in IR BeamFilter.

The SRTH sold exclusively through SureFire Dealer LPS was a version of the T-62 without the threaded rim and a different reflector finish to produce tighter beams from the N1/N2/N4/N5 Lamp Assemblies.

P176.jpg

P41.jpg

P174.jpg

This photo shows the two main styles of T Turbohead:
P172.jpg

Also in this photo is the N4 Lamp Assembly (green) which is the only TurboHead lamp assembly with a rounded tip bulb.

(Note that T3 (and the KT3) TurboHeads are only for the 9N and 9AN respectively - they are not interchangeable at all)

The T3 is the old style rim (straight) and does not accept the F46 Red and F47 Blue BeamFilters fully. As you may be able to tell the F47 has exposed threads on the T3:
P223.jpg

Al

schrenz

Enlightened

Interisting!

I sniped a T3 on ebay.de few weeks ago (the seller discribed it with "shurefire":lolsign: ,good for the price), complete 9N without the normal bezel.
Very nice light, because of the laser-beam I'm looking for a 3'' head for 6/9P,etc.

With my homebuild 3,3Ah sanyo the 9N-T3 combo is very useful Flashlight for home-use (to big to carry, for my opinion), only the LOLA secondary light is rather useless:
Greets Jens

Size15's

Flashaholic

The beam of the 9NT rocks!
(it's just a shame the flashlight (3" TurboHead) isn't very practical)

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nicely done thread here gentlemen, thanks for the great info!!!

Karl

Timber

Newly Enlightened

Al,

In one of your pictures you show a 6P with 2 A-19 extenders and a KT-2 TurboHead. What lamp assemblies do you run with this?

The reason I ask is that one SF customer service guy said the MN60 and MN61 would fit but be out of focus and another said they will work fine.

Also, if the MN60 and particularly the MN61 will fit and be in focus will they overheat because of the smaller size of the KT-2 TurboHead vs. a M3T or M4 TurboHead?

Thanks

batman

Enlightened

A good idea just came into my head since I am very sleepy (it's 3:30 am).
I want to buy an M3 Turbo so that I can have the ability to upgrade it to an M4 by addnig 1 A-19 cell extender and using the appropriate M4 N60/61 Lamp assemblies. ( I think we all agree a lot of people do that already and it's safe.)
However, what if? What If if I took my M3 turbo, added 3 A-19 cell extenders ( to have 6 X CR 123 cells) and used the appropriate M6 Mn20/21 lamp assemblies? Would I have an M6 or would i just have a long stick in my hand? My guess is instaflash first, then a long stick in my hand - possibly venting flame from the business end? Any help here?
Brad

nzgunnie

Enlightened

you would have a long stick and a blown bulb.

The M6 batteries are in parallel....

cy

Flashaholic

M6 uses 3x CR123 in series/ parallel arangement. so M6 uses a 9V bulb simular to 9V M3T bulb, but draws more current. M3T, M4 and M6 bulbs share same base size w/same focal point. M4 bulbs are rated for 12V operation.

there's been past threads of folks boring out their M4 to accept 2x 18650, driving NM21

batman said:
However, what if? What If if I took my M3 turbo, added 3 A-19 cell extenders ( to have 6 X CR 123 cells) and used the appropriate M6 Mn20/21 lamp assemblies? Would I have an M6 or would i just have a long stick in my hand? My guess is instaflash first, then a long stick in my hand - possibly venting flame from the business end? Any help here?
Brad

Big Bob

Newly Enlightened

Given that the turbo heads supplied with the KT1 and KT2 are identical, it has never made a lot of sense to me that the user is not given the option to purchase the turbo head and then to separately acquire the lamp assembly that he/she wishes (N1, N2, MN15, MN16, MN60, MN61) depending on the user's configuration (2, 3 or 4 cell) and preference. This is exactly the way we purchase bezels. I find myself wondering how many N1's and N2's from KT1's and KT2's are lying around unused.

schrenz

Enlightened

Size15's said:
I always thought I should have got a 12ZM rather than a 12PM, and also, I've always wanted a Z3 but never purchased one. Strange that I go for the 7Z which is inbetween and not much use!
(The reason I got it was because it came with a T4 TurboHead which is rare)

Al
First thanks to Bob for bumping my most beloved threat:grin2: !
Al: Last week a rather new Z3 had been sold on ebay UK :laughing:
I've forgotten to take part in the auction:awman:
Jens

Size15's

Flashaholic

timber said:
In one of your pictures you have a 6P with two(2) A-19 extenders (4 cells total) and a KT-2 TurboHead. What lamp assemblies do you run in it? The MN60 and MN61? If so does it run alot hotter than in the M4 TurboHead? Will it shut down?

Yes, four-SF123A batteries require the MN60, MN61 or N62 lamp assemblies.

I doubt there is much difference between using the KT TurboHead and the Millennium TurboHead with regards to heat - the reflector shape is the same but the shock isolated Millennium TurboHead reflector 'floats' inside where as the KT TurboHead attached/part of the bezel so if anything the KT TurboHead has better thermal management.
The MN60 and MN61 should not cause the batteries to go into 'thermal shutdown' unless the air temperature was already very high.

I do NOT suggest you use a 6P and two A19's - the resistance at each joint means the batteries are working harder and I've noticed the peak output runtime is reduced compared to the M4/12PM in side-by-side comparisons I made.

Three-SF123A bodies plus A19 are slightly less of a concern in this regard I think.

Al

Timber

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Size15's. I'll go with a 9P + A19 extender with the KT2 Turbohead and the MN60 and MN61 lamp assemblies. I assume there is no difference in lamp 'focus' between the KT2 and Millennium TurboHeads using these lamp assemblies?

I don't quite understand the extra resistance of the A19's but will take your suggestion and use only one. Your explanation of heat management of the KT2 vs. Millennium TurboHeads is logical and makes sense.

Timber

Size15's

Flashaholic

Timber said:
I assume there is no difference in lamp 'focus' between the KT2 and Millennium TurboHeads using these lamp assemblies?
Correct. The beams produced are the same (subject to lamp/reflector combination variations of course)

Timber said:
I don't quite understand the extra resistance of the A19's but will take your suggestion and use only one.
Everytime you introduce a pair of contact surfaces you are increasing the resistance because the contact is never 100% (as if it didn't exist at all).

Timber

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Size15's for the explanation of extender resistance. I see it's best to not use more than one extender.

Can't wait to see the MN61/KT2/9P/A19 vs. the standard P90/9P.

Timber

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

MN60, MN61 & N62 are interchangeable (But N62 should not be used in WeaponLights or heavy-use Tactical "CombatLights" such as the M4.

Is the n62 more fragile then, than the others?
does anyone know the amperage and voltage of it? did anybody use li-ion with it?
I have what was described here as the old style T, with N1 but no body - trying to acquire an n62. was thinking of using a plastic body, but what sort of adapter would be needed?

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic

The N-type Lamp Assemblies (such as the N62 and N2) have a shorter outer spring contact and when used in a shock isolated TurboHead subjected to heavy recoil and/or abusive use this spring contact can become compressed and no provide reliable contact which results in the light not activating some or all of the time. It has nothing to do with the bulb.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is the N2 and N5 of similar filament size/ beam shape?