The lamps and batteries for SF Turbo heads thread

Size15's

Flashaholic
Re: The lamps and batteries for SF Turbo heads tread

AilSnail said:
Is the N2 and N5 of similar filament size/ beam shape?
Yes the beams are similar shape and size.
P40.jpg

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, there IS a plastic body that fits the T.. I was thinking of the "cheap" G2, which you mentioned needed an adapter..

Anyways, I have done some napkin calcs to find rechargeable options for the T head - based on very rough assumptions! I figure the N62, would sag the 123 pri cells to about 2.2-2.3v total 8.8-9.2v. This is too much for two Li-ion, and way too little for three fresh ones! So either an 8series of NiMH, or some of the newer li high power chemistries, or even a voltage drop cirquit.

For the 100lm+ lamps, N2 and N5, then: Based on the 1c discharge, the N2 should draw 1,3A - the voltage would be around 7.5. Two li-ion 123 might give from 7.8v and downwards a bit - seems like a fit?
If the B90 3xnimh stack were sagging to 3.3v, and the bulb is less efficient because of the lower voltage, it might draw about 3,5A? If the b90 can hold 3,6v for a few seconds at least (it should), then maybe the N5 would not blow too fast on a single 18650 Li-Ion?

Anyways, if someone were to come up with better estimates, I'd be happy.

Last edited:

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

These a123 C cells might be pushing the n62 a bit? Otherwise 3xsaphion looks like they would go from 9,6v and down at 5A. It's not like one would like to experiment too much with overdriving these bulbs.

Size15's

Flashaholic

AilSnail said:
Oh, there IS a plastic body that fits the T.. I was thinking of the "cheap" G2, which you mentioned needed an adapter..

The KT5 TurboHead Kit featuring the N5 Lamp Assembly has a collar to attach it to the 8AX/L7/8NX body which houses the B90 NiCad battery stick.

The KT1 TurboHead Kit featuring the N1 Lamp Assembly has a collar to attach it to the standard two-SF123A body such as the 6P or G2.

These collars are not sold as individual items - they form part of the TurboHead Kits.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah.. so that means, since I have a T1, that I could use a G2. Nice!

Size15's

Flashaholic

AilSnail said:
Ah.. so that means, since I have a T1, that I could use a G2. Nice!
Yes - the KT1 replaced the T1 for two-SF123A powered standard-body SureFires such as the 6P/G2 etc.

cy

Flashaholic

hmmm... turbo head madness

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

BTTT. This is an excellent thread with great references for those trying to mix and match. Recently there have been some questions, so I'm cranking this up for people.

rx78gp02

Newly Enlightened

BTTT. This is an excellent thread with great references for those trying to mix and match. Recently there have been some questions, so I'm cranking this up for people.

amen to that. If i haven't seen this thread, i would have been making another post of lots of questions.

I've been thinking of using the ho-m6r in my m3t with 3 rcr123a (the 3.6volts ones).
I know it states on the website that it can run on 3 rcr123a, but has anyone tried this?

Here's what they say on their site:
Model No. : HO-M6R (13V, 700 Lumens) High Output Lamp Assembly

Description : HO-M6R High Output 13V, 700 Lumens High Output Lamp Assembly
(For 6 x RCR123A M Series Flashlights)

-High Output Ultra High Pressure Xenon Lamp (700 Lumens)
-Highest Achievable Colour Temperature (3350K)
-Unique Filament Design
-Precision Machined Aluminum Lamp Assembly
-Every Lamp Assembly is Pre-Focused for the Ultimate Spot
-Compatible with all Flashlights that use the M Series Xenon Lamp Assemblies.

Compatible with:

Surefire®
M6 using 6 x RCR123A Rechargeable
Modified M3T/M4: 3 x 3.7V Rechargeable

Runtime (RCR123A): ~35 min
Runtime (3.7V Rechargeable): ~50 mins.

Last edited:

nzgunnie

Enlightened

It says it can run for 35 mins on 6x RCR123s, not on 3x RCR123s...

It's designed to be used with the M6, which if you have read this post you will understand uses 2 sticks of 3 batteries, in parallel with each other.

This bulb draws 2.1 amps, that is over 3C (or a discharge rate 3 times the cells capacity). This is very dangerous, and will fry your poor little cells in no time, possibly causing them to go :poof:. I would suggest you need to do a wee bit more research on the hazards of using Li-ion cells, especially in high current, series applications.

If you look closely at the table, LF only recommends the very much larger 18650s for this lamp for 3x series application. Leef make a M series, 3x18650 body that would work for this.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry guys, I know this is an old thread. After reading through this I want to clarify something. I have a Surefire 8AX, and from what I'm understanding I should be able to run either an SRTH or a 3 inch T series turbohead using the adapter collar I have from my current KT5. Is that correct?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Sorry guys, I know this is an old thread. After reading through this I want to clarify something. I have a Surefire 8AX, and from what I'm understanding I should be able to run either an SRTH or a 3 inch T series turbohead using the adapter collar I have from my current KT5. Is that correct?
Yes. The SRTH and T-Series TurboHeads accept the N5 lamp assembly and attach via the KT5 adapter collar to the 8AX/8NX.