What did you use your flashlight for today?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah that PD-35 goes everywhere with me and I've gotten a lot of good use out of it. Before that I was using a PD-32, and I recently bought a PD-36R (1600 lumens max) for my next EDC. I really like this range of Fenix products. They're easily pocketable and produce a lot of light for their size.

Must admit, I own hundreds of flashlights at this point. Including over two dozen SureFire models. Yet the two that have pretty much taken over the Primary Light category in my pants pocket are my Fenix PD35 Tac. model limited Edition in Tungsten Gray. And then my Olight M1T Raider during just the Summer months. Absolutely love my PD35.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
In that crowd, I expect Streamlight, Surefire, and Maglite. Who had the Malkoff? Must have been you?

Hopefully, one of the EMT's had some oxygen. That's one crowded elevator!

Yup, the Malkoff was mine. I was one of the EMTs, we were stuck only a short time as the FF had the tools to open the door. I still laugh at myself for getting into that situation.

Tracklove

Newly Enlightened
Used my keychain Thrunite Ti3 to look inside a Foursevens Mini AA tube I got out of a junk box of flashlights from eBay. Trying to find out why it wouldn't work. Turns out it's got some corrosion in the bottom under the spring. Should be a fun little project.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How nice, i've just come back from the first dog walk of the season where i needed a light. It was light enough to see, but not light enough to be seen. I do wish other walkers and cyclists would be aware of this on our rural lanes.
Anyway, there's nothing like having a big light getting comfortingly warm in my hand, plus a lovely gentle 219B beam at sunset.
The beagles don't seem to care, why is that?

P

Edit: I've just thought of something nicer, but I'll keep it to myself.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grabbed my two boring pineapples and turned it into a Pina Colada!
0926782279b95dc9a71b2a249ef1bc25.jpg
02848b8f7f304cf093a9c2159de794a4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I find myself thinking of all the times I used a flashlight just this week. When you have a modern 1x aaa in your pocket everyday it's amazing how often you use it. When your home has double a sized or smaller lights all over the place, again it's amazing how often you use them. So which time stood out the most? I suppose it was when I used the led on my vape stick to find the toilet at 1am.
B81-C4-DF6-319-B-4-A58-9-DC6-7-FD295288-B10.jpg

The white LED puts out about 3 lumens.

When you take a drag an led lights up and stays on for a couple of seconds after you finish taking said drag. So I keep in on the night stand led turned down. Being carpenter pencil shaped it's easy to id in the dark on my night stand. Set up on the edge of the bed, find vape stick, puff on it every couple of steps and navigate past three sleeping dark colored dogs, do my thing, using the vape stick to ensure aim is correct too, puff a couple more times to return and back to dreamy dream land.

Hey Pete, a company called PortWest makes reflective clothing. Like a ball cap with reflective coating over the entire thing so no matter what direction light comes from your cap lights up. They have lightweight vests like that too. Made for construction workers, tow truck drivers etc they really add to your safety in low light.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's funny, I use the Portwest overalls for brewing. I didn't know they did safety gear. I can see me now in GITD overalls - madness.
Even better with GITD a skeleton on, now we're talking.
P

Last edited:

PJ

Enlightened
Saturday I was at Greenfield Village in Dearborn for the Old Car Show, cars up to 1932. They stay open until 9 p.m. during this event and let the cars cruise around the streets. Some of the cars had kerosene lights, some had acetylene and many had the old 6 volt incandescents. ( One Ford Model A pickup was cheating with some cool white LEDs).
I was walking in front of the Cotswold cottage and noticed a lady and her husband trying to get a picture of it. It was about 8:30 and nice and dark. There are streetlights in the village but they have them emulating old gas lamps so they weren't much help.
I pulled out my Emisar D4 219 with a floody optic and lit the cottage up for her. She got a few pictures and thanked me. Her husband asked me what kind of light I was using. I handed it to him and gave him a quick description of it. He just shook his head and commented about the technology today and such.

2 weeks ago I was at an estate sale my aunt was holding at their office building. My uncle had retired in 1986 and hitting garage sales became his hobby.
I used the Fenix E05 single stage on my keyring to check inside flashlights for leakage and corrosion. I ended up with about 10 lights, most of them chrome RayoVac Sportsmen, a blue anodized Top Lite aluminum and 2 Bright Star orange safety lights. I cleaned up one of the 2C lights and put a RayoVac LED bulb in it and gave it to her to keep around for emergency use.

buds224

Enlightened
We just got done surviving Typhoon FAXAI here in Yokosuka, Japan. We celebrated by having dinner out at a local sushi restaurant and left our car at the main gate parking during sun down. Coming back, we realized the lighting in the parking lot was out. Emisar D4S to the rescue. Double Click to Turbo and found the car instantly. It even alerted other cars of our presence. Good Feels...:D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yesterday morning, young studly co-worker as usual couldn't show up to work on time. One excuse after another. You guys know how it is.... Sometimes you put up with a co-worker's regular nonsense because calling them out on it has zero benefits, will only get them to resent you, and you still have to work with them on a daily basis. So you tolerate it. Thankfully his shift starts rather close to when mine ends.

I'm outside unlocking all the security gates because the Young Cat partied too hardy over the weekend; again! His job to unlock them, but okay I'll do his job for him; again. This time he called earlier than usual. So, I'm out there earlier than usual. Literally a few minutes before the sun is even ready to start barely peeking above the horizon. Basically pitch black out. Turns out the locks on the gates weren't quite made right. Something I hadn't noticed previously since the sun is at least already out the other times I've unlocked those gates.

Due to those locks, the key refuses to go in. I finally get fed up and out comes my Lumintop IYP 365 2AAA penlight. Pop that light in my mouth for some hands-free goodness (no worries, I never loan my Lumintop out to anyone), hold the lock in one hand, turn the key with the other. Medium mode comes on first, and plenty bright to get the job done. Senior co-worker shows up a bit later. I have to brief him. He's not happy with our younger co-worker. Can't blame him.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At my job, right now I'm assigned a trainee. Can't say if he shows up late or not Mono. He's always there by the time I drag my carcass through the door. The guy really tries to help, but his generation has been taught to take the path of least resistance so he's always trying to take shortcuts. Often times he gets frustrated that I discount his ideas. Well there are many times I like his ideas but because he's new I do not let him know that and give him instructions to do things the hard way. Partly because I'm the boss. Partly because I want him to learn how to reason in case the short cut doesn't work. I tried the easy path at his age and often found it ended up harder over time. When climbing a hill in life coasting means you are probably going the wrong way.

So today the internet was down so that is like taking away oxygen to the new guy. He said his computer was completely useless without the cloud.
"Really?" I said. I turned mine on and showed him a folder with literally hundreds of sub folderrs and said "see why I save everything on my laptop?" I loaded stuff onto a flashdriveand told him to print it on my remote printer. Then a box of files and said to scan everything and rename every single one something we will know what it means later. This was in my remote office I just started setting up yesterday. So while he did that I moved furniture around and stuff like that.

When you enter the room it's dark with no windows and the light switch is in the center of the room instead of next to the door. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Fine when empty but sucks when furniture is now between the door and the switch with a firefly mode switch light. I installed a 100 lumen night light and turned off the lights. Fantastic. It has an off switch so I turned it off to see what new guy would do. When he arrived I gave him a maglite solitaire, a gerber knife and a flashdrive and said to keep them every where he goes. So when the light went out he turns on his celphone light. I told him "turn that dam thing off!" Then I told him if he ever does that again he's fired in a stern voice. I pulled the night light from the outlet and walked across the room in the dark and plugged it in. Suddenly the whole wall with the barely lit switch was lit up and every piece of furniture was well lit.

Things went back to normal and a period of time later he asked Why I had yelled at him for helping. My reply was I want him to instinctively use his celphone light as a last resort. I noted that to his left and right were two flashlights with glow in the dark bodies and that he should learn to save the battery of his phone for making a call. That there will come a time when he has a choice between his light on the phone or make a call and I had given him a tiny flashlight to make sure his choice would be use it to make a call.

When the lecture was over I emptied my pockets onto my desk and showed him I was carrying 3 flashlights, 2 knives, 3 flash drives, ear plugs, a whistle, nail clippers and enough coins to make a long distance phone call, enough cash to buy a meal and chap stick. I said "the chap stick is for glue, to stop bleeding, stop a squeak and a dozen other things". He says "lemmee guess nail clippers for wire cutters?" "Exacto-mundo" I replied.

Then he showed me he had that Solitaire with him.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It's funny.... Read that whole thing. And, as I'm doing so, I'm just thinking to myself that everything you've taught him so far.... those are things that in the past, fathers taught their sons. Nowadays it seems that simply donating genetic material and sticking around to hang out with one's creation is considered good enough. Have encountered far too numerous examples of that in the past to just dismiss it as an occasional abnormality. Just sad.

Good of you to teach him such important concepts. Hopefully he'll remember them.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
His pop left when he was 2 and his mom never dated after that. No uncles, grandpa or anybody taught him what we were taught, but the guy is a pretty good learner.

Later this week he wants to help me on a night shift operation over seeing a waterline connection. Last night shift we did I showed him how to use a flashlight for photo taking. I had 2 headlamps and oh I dunno 10-15? flashlights with me.…it'll be his assignment to photograph the operation.

In the meantime I had two more 2D classic Maglites show up today show I used a $4 Energizer to light the package better for taking photos. It lives on my coffee table after I gave my Coast inspection light to my grandson. Puts out like 40 lumens for like 60 hours or something. The coast guzzled juice from double a's and being direct drive it would go from 100 lumens to dim in just a few minutes.…and stay dim. The Energizer is probably direct drive too but after several hours it's still like new.

7-E25-B84-F-C763-49-DF-BE6-A-BA641-AA94-E65.jpg

A22291-DB-07-E5-4-CCE-970-D-5-A7-C20-F02-B01.jpg

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
His pop left when he was 2 and his mom never dated after that. No uncles, grandpa or anybody taught him what we were taught, but the guy is a pretty good learner.

Very unfortunate. In our day, there was a stigma attached to men who did that sort of thing. They still did it, but wow does it ever seem far more common-place today than ever before. Heck, part of me would love to abandon all my family obligations and just live a hedonistic lifestyle full of debauchery every night. (It does look like fun.) But there's no way I'm abandoning those who need me. As far as that young man goes, being a fast learner is a good thing.

Staying on topic:

Olight M1T Raider used to scan the building's South entrance to see just how many of the lamp posts are out. Building maintenance has been slacking for months now. The lack of lighting could soon become dangerous for the women who work at night in the building. Considering one of the main gates is kept wide open 24/7 as per management decree. I'd be happy to walk any of the women, especially the elderly ones to their cars at night if they'd just ask. But yeah, it has been 2 or 3 years since any of them has done so.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I think I used my flashlight this morning to read the temperature on the living room thermostat. Hmmm, that might have been yesterday :)

Just as importantly, today I used my cell phone, magnifier app, to read the specs on a USB charger.

Mr. Fixer,
Cudo's to you for mentoring your new assistant.

I laugh inside when I hear... "Poppy, is this a learning thing!?"
No! I need you to hold the flashlight so I can see what I am doing, or I need you to hold this HERE so that I can slide this into there and then this will move like that and then we can tighten it up. OK? Thanks. :)

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Southern Spain has been experiencing some of the worst storms in the past 100 years during the past few days, many roads are washed away and the death toll is currently at 5.

I got woken up at 4.00am by a thunderstorm, the lightning was continuous, literally 3-4 flashes per second, which continued for an hour!!

I've never seen anything like it before and because we live 1200' up a mountain we were in the cloud so couldn't see the individual flashes, they sky just lit up.

We'd lost main electricity so I decided to grab a flashlight and check to make sure we were ok, I decided to grab my Surefire G3 which has a Malkoff M61LL, my decision was based on do I want to grab a metal flashlight in the circumstances!! LOL

We only had about 1" of rain and no damage fortunately. I think people to the east of us will have come off worse as the area with the worst flooding had another downpour overnight!!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I pressed my PD36R into service for the first time, inspecting connectors on a patch panel. I like the built-in charging port and the higher output than the PD35, however it feels slightly more slippery in my hand than the PD35 does. I'm not sure what to do about this yet.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not sure if this counts but.... Bought a 47 lumens rated LED Blue bodied Maglite Solitaire at a Brick & mortar hardware store. Couple of hours later, tossed it into a 6"x6"x6" box along with a gorgeous combination purple and blue titanium whistle to mail off to an ASMR friend of mine as a "Thank You" gift for her continued support of my channel on Youtube. (Not an ASMR one.) Also, obligatory she doesn't do Adult content disguised as ASMR. She's the real thing. (In case anyone is wondering, no; not the same one as last time. That one turned out to be a selfish user of people.)