• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WTS: K50vn

zebraa

Newly Enlightened
I ran my light until the battery indicator was red. After charging, the cells were as follows - 4.18, 4.18, 4.17, 4.14. I took them all out and did not pay any attention to which position they were in. Those results are close enough for me not to worry about it and the convenience of charging the batteries in the light is still worth it to me. Those are very small differences and none of them are over-charged so that is also a good thing in my mind.

It's hard to get in-light charging right, especially on a multi-cell light.

But, this one charges in parallel (which is good), and 3 of these 4 values are within what I have read to be considered a 'full charge', that being 4.20 +/- 0.05 (4.15-4.25).

The in-light charging solution on this one seems reasonably safe, even if it's not numerically perfect.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to get in-light charging right, especially on a multi-cell light.

But, this one charges in parallel (which is good), and 3 of these 4 values are within what I have read to be considered a 'full charge', that being 4.20 +/- 0.05 (4.15-4.25).

The in-light charging solution on this one seems reasonably safe, even if it's not numerically perfect.

Well said

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this have more throw than the TK61vn?

No, it does not. The TK61vn is the current reigning champion. For lights you can purchase (not one-offs or total customs) the TK61vn is the best reflector-based thrower available, for any price.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
For lights you can purchase (not one-offs or total customs) the TK61vn is the best reflector-based thrower available, for any price.

It is the best throwing reflector based LED light that we are aware of, but it does not surpass the commercially available Maxabeam. That light has a short-arc lamp and the Gen 3 version has approx. 20 times the candlepower of the TK61vn.

The practical difference between the little gain of lux with TK61vn vs. K50vn would be almost imperceptible. Users should choose which form factor they like best because there is not any appreciable performance difference.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is the best throwing reflector based LED light that we are aware of, but it does not surpass the commercially available Maxabeam. That light has a short-arc lamp and the Gen 3 version has approx. 20 times the candlepower of the TK61vn.

The practical difference between the little gain of lux with TK61vn vs. K50vn would be almost imperceptible. Users should choose which form factor they like best because there is not any appreciable performance difference.

Thank you for the correction. I was talking about LED lights only, but I failed to specify that. There are LOTS of other lights that can out-throw even the mighty TK61vn...but they do tend to be much more bulky/heavy, have shorter lives, shorter runtimes, be much more expensive (usually by several times), etc.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the correction. I was talking about LED lights only, but I failed to specify that. There are LOTS of other lights that can out-throw even the mighty TK61vn...but they do tend to be much more bulky/heavy, have shorter lives, shorter runtimes, be much more expensive (usually by several times), etc.

I figured you were probably aware of that but I just wanted to clarify this for any newbs that might think the TK61vn is the greatest thrower in the world, especially since you said "for any price".

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figured you were probably aware of that but I just wanted to clarify this for any newbs that might think the TK61vn is the greatest thrower in the world, especially since you said "for any price".

Indeed. Poor choice of words on my part. Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

tallyram

Newly Enlightened
I was able to use this light extensively this weekend. Used it some Friday night to navigate back to our boat landing after dark. We loaded up the boat and headed back out on the lake yesterday evening. Made sure I had the K50vn PDT with me again. When we arrived at our destination on the lake, I plugged the auxiliary adapter into the boat's auxiliary outlet to charge back up. We fished to dark and headed back in for a quick dinner. During dinner, I was talked into going frog gigging with some friends. We used my light from 9:30pm-2:30am for navigation. I'm in Florida, so it was pretty humid with tons of particles in the air. This light punched through it all pretty well!! I only needed level 3 most of the time with an occasional sweep in front of us at level 5. Had a great time and really enjoyed having the proper tool for the task. I'm also very glad that I chose the K50vn over the TK61vn! Love having the option to charge on the go, even though I have a second set of fully charged cells for backup. Everyone was in awe of the crazy amount of throw this light produces. Good times!!

Last edited:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to use this light extensively this weekend. Used it some Friday night to navigate back to our boat landing after dark. We loaded up the boat and headed back out on the lake yesterday evening. Made sure I had the K50vn PDT with me again. When we arrived at our destination on the lake, I plugged the auxiliary adapter into the boat's auxiliary outlet to charge back up. We fished to dark and headed back in for a quick dinner. During dinner, I was talked into going frog gigging with some friends. We used my light from 9:30pm-2:30am for navigation. I'm in Florida, so it was pretty humid with tons of particles in the air. This light punched through it all pretty well!! I only needed level 3 most of the time with an occasional sweep in front of us at level 5. Had a great time and really enjoyed having the proper tool for the task. I'm also very glad that I chose the K50vn over the TK61vn! Love having the option to charge on the go, even though I have a second set of fully charged cells for backup. Everyone was in awe of the crazy amount of throw this light produces. Good times!!

Good to hear it worked so well. I've been enjoying mine as well and am looking forward to taking it out camping in next couple weeks. I also discovered that this light makes a great ceiling bouncer as well as it is very stable and has lots of capacity :)

Last edited:

yarney05

Newly Enlightened
Hey Vinh are you going to offer that thick copper heatsink in upcoming K50s? If so, can someone who already purchased a K50 send it back to have the copper added?

heggood

Newly Enlightened
Any idea of the kcd and lumens with dome on? Trying to figure out if I want to dedome mine or not. I would rather have wider hotspot and spill but don't want to lose a ton of throw?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Any idea of the kcd and lumens with dome on? Trying to figure out if I want to dedome mine or not. I would rather have wider hotspot and spill but don't want to lose a ton of throw?

May be 200K. Eitherway its a lot less than Dedome.

Saul Good

Enlightened
Even with dedome this light produces very nice usable side spill. Much nicer IMO vs the TK61vn for example.
I agree, based on beam shots. I had the tk61vn, and it is an impressive light, but with so little corona its difficult to see where to direct that intense spot at distance. So I just purchased the k50vn (awaiting delivery).

The in-light charging is a big plus too.