A sad incandescent day today

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had my car in the shop this afternoon so I walked across the street to the mall to kill some time. Stopped in at Scheels mostly to check out if any flashlights were on sale. Almost every Surefire accessory was gone except for an MN01 lamp and an F05 E-series red filter. Picked those both up since you can't have too many red filters.. haha and I have an E1e without a lamp. Was saddened to realize none of that stuff will be replaced and I bought the last E-series lamp (and last Surefire incan lamp) from Scheels that they will probably ever stock again. :shakehead Shouldn't be a big deal, but I'm just kind of bummed out about that. Also saw that Target was nearly out of incan Maglites, and none of those are likely to be replaced. Especially the Solitaires and Minimags.

Scheels had a bunch of the "new" crappy line of SF's in the display case, that basically all look the same and they had a few incan G2's for $59.99. And batteries... And a bunch of overpriced LED Streamlights.

On the bright side my E1e has a new lamp and it's a joy to use.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Had a similar experience at a local Gander Mountain sporting goods store a few weeks ago: they have a locked display cabinet of SF lights, apart from the blister packed cheapo stuff on the hang racks. It had been picked through, but I picked up a G3 (last one) for 27.99. Once it's empty, that's it for SF incan from that particular store...

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I can't find whale oil for my old lamps anymore either.

:D

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem. I'm here at random times, I'm part of the Candlepower forums comedian battalion. (no not really) ;)

argleargle

Enlightened
I went shopping locally for a few shiny new Maglite bodies to mutilate... er... I mean... modify. Couldn't find any on a shelf? Are the big stores moving away from incan Mags? Is the writing on the wall for incans?

...think I should buy up some incan mags whilst still available? I need to build a 0cell Mag, a Mag85, and require plenty of parts to ruin on my lathe since I've got shaky hands.

Anyone with thoughts on what the "new mod host body" will be, or is it just P60-compatible from here on out?

broadgage

Enlightened
I suspect that incan Maglights will be available for some years yet.
Many smaller or less busy retailers will have old stock, and there must be a lot of incan Maglights hidden away that will be sold via ebay etc.

But yes the writing is on the wall for incans. I suspect they will go the way of gaslights, carbon filament lamps and oil lamps, all of which are still used today but are not exactly popular or mainstream light sources.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went crazy and bought a bunch of incan Minimags today. Was mostly a crime of opportunity since my car was back in the shop today and I really wanted to find all the gunmetal gray ones left that I could. I suspect the incan C and especially 2D/3D Mags will be around for awhile yet, but I don't expect the Minimags to last much longer. I could be wrong though........

And I was back in Scheels today and no they didn't restock anything. :( It's all gone.

argleargle

Enlightened
But yes the writing is on the wall for incans. I suspect they will go the way of gaslights, carbon filament lamps and oil lamps, all of which are still used today but are not exactly popular or mainstream light sources.

Oh okay. You mean, then that they will be the domain of the enthusiasts, the hobbyists, and... oh yeah... US.

Ah! Excellent. I was right in buying up some incan mag bodies in all flavors such that we can continue to enjoy our flavor.

GOOD!
I hate it when I'm wrong on purpose! :)

fyrstormer

Banned
Flashlight manufacturers love LEDs. Incan bulbs are fragile and burn out on a regular basis, meaning the manufacturers have to pack thousands of tiny little replacement lightbulbs in (relatively) very expensive individual blister packs. LEDs are nearly indestructible and will last about as long as the user cares to use them, and the heatsinking requirement means they're not easily replaceable anyway, so the manufacturer only has to have one product line -- complete pre-assembled lights. That reduces overhead costs dramatically.

You might think they could use the "give away the razor and make money on the blades" business model, but unlike razors, bulbs don't wear out quite often enough to make that practical. Not to mention there's a significant market for inexpensive third-party bulbs, since the bulbs (even if not the housings) are pretty much all based on old standard sizes, making it nearly impossible to patent a bulb design to protect ye olde profit margin.

There are a lot of purely financial reasons why flashlight manufacturers would want to switch to LED for all and for good.

argleargle

Enlightened
Update: We need a valid supply of hotwire bulbs for mag bodies! Crap. I bought the wrong stuff AGAIN! :)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
My last camping trip I got kinda sad when I realized the only incan left in my collection -- a multi-level hotwire (64611 driven by w/ 3 26650s in a 4C mag) which used to destroy every LED light on the market for overall luminous output in '07 when I built it -- was actually producing less light than my buddy's much smaller 4Sevens Maelstrom S12 :(.

I got the last laugh though as we all radically underdressed for the weather and my light still doubled as a highly effective hand warmer :D

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The incan Minimag will be around for a very long time. The LED version has been out for years and it's still about $20. People can't justify spending that much for a little light, so there will always be a market for the $7 incan.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Those of us who took the time to try out and use various incan combinations vs. other light sources understand that there are plenty of applications and preferences to match and appreciate a wide diversity of lighting types. The lifeless obsession with lumen per watt efficiency ignores the romantic artistry of halogen & tungsten magical illumination. Go watch the Blu-Ray remastered edition of the Godfather movies, paying attention to the effect of the lighting. It is a whole other character in Coppola's masterpiece trilogy. They ain't using LED's for those effects.

SemiMan

Banned
The incan Minimag will be around for a very long time. The LED version has been out for years and it's still about $20. People can't justify spending that much for a little light, so there will always be a market for the $7 incan.

I suspect it is far more likely they will buy the $5.00 no name or $10.00 Rayovac LED flashlight and pass on the Minimag incan completely. Even that no name one will be brighter with much longer battery life and when you think reliability, i.e. the light turning on, the much lower battery draw and lack of a short life filament bulb likely still means the cheapy is more reliable.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The glory days of the incandescent flashlight are gone. The technology has peaked in terms of performance with LED filling in most of the market.

CPF members often fail to appreciate that the general market just needs a flashlight for occasional utility lighting and emergencies, thus will go with whatever's on store shelves and offers whatever minimal combination of performance and features on the package they're willing to pay for. Looking at the packaging for consumer- and construction-grade flashlights, it would seem that consumers greatly value not having to replace bulbs, brightness, are interested in drop/dunk-resistance, and pay some attention to runtime. Above all, $10 seems to be a common bar for a junk drawer flashlight and $20 is the general limit for a jobsite type flashlight.

Sure, bulbs are cheap, readily replaceable, and the single most common failure element in an incandescent flashlight ... but it annoyed consumers to have to replace them. They did seem to fail quite often at inopportune times: the junk drawer scenario of pulling an almost never-used flashlight with nearly dead cells (probably cheap "Heavy Duty" cells at that) only to have the bulb flash as it draws more current than usual might be well-understood by most of us, but was thoroughly detested by consumers.

I imagine the common bulbs will be available for some time. The PR bases and anything mag-lite makes will be safe as will bulbs for SF or Streamlight models that cost decent money and/or were used across multiple models.

I should source some G2's and a few P60 bulbs...

Flashlight manufacturers love LEDs. Incan bulbs are fragile and burn out on a regular basis, meaning the manufacturers have to pack thousands of tiny little replacement lightbulbs in (relatively) very expensive individual blister packs. LEDs are nearly indestructible and will last about as long as the user cares to use them, and the heatsinking requirement means they're not easily replaceable anyway, so the manufacturer only has to have one product line -- complete pre-assembled lights. That reduces overhead costs dramatically.
Flashlight manufacturers do not sell bulbs as a public service - they wouldn't be producing them if they didn't make something on them (or at least somehow contribute to staying afloat). Much like how light bulb manufacturers raked in profit manufacturing Edison-socket incandescent light bulbs for home use at $0.50/each, flashlight manufacturers made even more profit making far smaller DC bulbs with a fraction of the materials for similar (or more) prices per bulb. Their volumes were lower, but replacement bulbs were profitable for them - especially proprietary models like the mini-maglite xenon bulbs and other proprietary high-performance incans such as SF, Streamlight, etc.

There are a lot of purely financial reasons why flashlight manufacturers would want to switch to LED for all and for good.
If you want to sell new flashlights, LED's were great since they offered longer runtimes and - after we got past Lumileds holding the exclusive on "power LED's" - only marginally more expensive for more lumens. Consumers were becoming dimly aware of the fact that LED's ran for a long time and lasted (in flashlight terms) forever. Thus, Inova et al started taking "premium" shelf space from Mag-Lite in places like Target as they offered innovative (to consumers anyway) new designs.

Last edited: