AA flashlight for friend headed to Afghanistan

LightJaguar

Enlightened
When I was in the Military a few years ago I never Surefire lights out in the field or anywhere else. I think some members have been fooled by Surefire marketing. As far as I know Surefires are not standard issue equipment. I've been asking my current military friends and ex military friends if they have used them. All the people that I have asked have said no with the exeption of a Marine buddy of mine. He said that he did use them for Urban training but only for a short period of time because the batteries did not last long. From his description is sounds like like a G2. He was not happy with it because of the short run time. Then again I might have spoiled him because I gave him an MRV with an 18650 for Christmas.
Having been in Iraq myself I think a Fenix would fit the bill pretty good. I would of loved to have one out there but sadly I did not know about them until after I got of the service. The Nitecore DI would also be a nice light to use out there. I don't have the any of the latest Nitecores so I can't really comment on them from experience but they sound like they would also fit the bill.

cash2006

Newly Enlightened
Thank you LightJaguar radargreg and all servicemen!

Would you prefer the Fenix 2 cell over the 1 cell?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Personally, I would prefer the NiteCore D10 over the Fenix L1D because it is slightly smaller and has a much lower low. Like the PD system as it should be more reliable and it can be fixed easily in the field.

That said, my backup Peak Pacific AAA twisty in the leatherman Charge Ti holster side pocket will always work. Makes a great backup to the E01 on the neck lanyard and D10 in a belt holster.

Soon I shall see the goodness or error of my wisdom.

pipspeak

Enlightened
I'm non-military but swear by the L2D for traveling all over the world. The 2-cell version just keeps on running on one set of lithium cells, which is its advantage (it's also brighter than the L1D but not noticeably).

I also got a smooth reflector for just a little bit more throw (it's still pretty floody, however) and just ordered the forward tactical switch. Its one achilles heel is the "low" is too high... something like 18 lumens. Fine for general walkabout (and it'll run on low for days) but generally useless for close-up night work.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was in the Military a few years ago I never Surefire lights out in the field or anywhere else. I think some members have been fooled by Surefire marketing.
Target, target!

As far as I know Surefires are not standard issue equipment.
If I led anyone astray by saying this soldier would be issued one, let me clarify. They aren't standard issue, if by standard issue we're talking about the normal Organizational Clothing and Individual Equipment issued to every soldier. They are issued to every TT member. Based on my assumption that this was the duty he was assigned,in this case he should be issued the SF Weaponlight.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Thank you LightJaguar radargreg and all servicemen!

I've got a Fenix CR123 single cell light, but not the single cell AA light. I think I would prefer the 2 AA light over the single one for mainly the runtime. The two AA light is longer, but that's not as important to me for its use.

Latest posts