Arc-AAA beta test and general topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN, I came in at the Arc LLC "end event" and I did not take part in any of the Pro-Arc or Anti-Arc camps. I have read some of the posts and I hope that sort of thing doesn't happen again. I have only relatively recently acquired an ArcAAA and think it is a wonderful product. When it first came out, it must have seemed like an even more amazing product due to less products in its class being on the market.

Now, I couldn't agree more about paying the price or not. Freedom of choice. If this thread been titled: "Arc-AAA beta test" and not "Arc-AAA beta test and general topics" then comments on the cost of the unit would not be appropriate at all in this thread. I don't think this is Arc bashing - quite the opposite. I think all the comments here have been positive about the ArcAAA and that all the posts have wished this product (and Peter) nothing but the best for success. There are simply a couple of comments on the pricing model.

Now, if there is more than a simple LED swap involved between the Standard and Premium models (say, by quality testing each of the LEDs for tint and output) then a $10 difference may have been justified as staff would have to be paid to do the testing and inferior product would have to be thrown out or left to seconds.

I believe the people visiting this thread are intelligent, capable of taking in all the data and making up their own minds without the content being censored. I think that valid points are being put forth and are worthy of discussion without becoming emotional about the topic. I don't think any of the comments made will make any difference on ArcAAA sales.

It is duly noted that this thread should, first and foremost, be focussed on the beta test and should not become a pi***** contest about the pricing. Comments on the pricing and other comparisons may be better suited in a different thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

Edit: added two quotation marks and the word "not"

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chimo said:
Now, if there is more than a simple LED swap involved between the Standard and Premium models (say, by quality testing each of the LEDs for tint and output) then a $10 difference may have been justified as staff would have to be paid to do the testing and inferior product would have to be thrown out or left to seconds.

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
Anti_Candescent said:
Isn't part of the premium price getting a hand picked led? That's worth the extra few bucks, to me. So with an already premium led, will they be gone through and selected/discarded based on tint and brightness? Or does the premium just get the 2x, end of story?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am very curious if the 2x led will be hand selected. Or right out of the box, bag, bin?

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I am looking forward to this very much. I have several classic Arc AAA lights and they are all great. The first one I bought is still with me EDC and works as well as the day I got it. Can't wait to order a couple more and put a new one to work as EDC. For me, the Arc AAA is the ideal little light to always have handy. Thank you Peter and crew.

saber

Newly Enlightened
I don't want to hijack the thread so here are some brief responses:

1) Price is a feature just like color, battery life or reliability that affects buying decisions. No I'm not a WalMart groupie.
2) Offering a dissenting opinion is not b****ing. It's called a balanced discussion.
3) It appears that Peter has designed THE BEST single cell, single LED flashlight. That's an accompishment worthy of success. Perhaps one day I will pony up the money and join the ranks of Arc owners.

Plz PM me if you have any other questions or comments. Let's not clutter this thread. I'm not trying to step on any toes.

Jeff

Bradlee

Enlightened
I'm glad to hear that drop tests onto the bezzle are resulting in the denting of the battery and not the light. I'd much rather ruin a $0.50 battery than a $40 light.

Nice work, Peter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

-Brad

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bradlee

In my case to state it as a drop test is putting it very mildly. On one of my test throws I took the light and did a over the shoulder throw against a brick wall. The light bounced off the wall about 6 feet landing on to concrete. The light was on before the throw but not afterwards. I emailed Peter apologizing for destroying his light and he emailed me back advising me to check the battery. When I opened the light I couldn't believe what the tip of the battery looked like. The tip now is literally flat or even with the top of the battery. Their is also a opening at the seam at the top next to the tip. I have no idea how that got there because you would think the foam washer would have prevented that from happening. I wish I had a camera so I could post a picture. Maybe someone at work can take a picture of it and I will post it.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first test results are in. The bottom part of the light dunked in liquid nitrogen!!!! I figure thermal shock would be the best way to coax the rivet off the body. First warm the light up real good with heat gun. Twist head on/off ten times. Re-heat, dunk bottom half into LN2 for 30 seconds. Take out, hold onto it with a towel, and twist the head on and off 10 times. This was repeated for about 15 cycles and couldn't get the rivet off. I figure if LN2 won't loosen it, then normal usage won't. But let's not stop here. I'm going to continue twisting the head on and off to see if the rivet can be worked loose--maybe the initial thermal shock had a detrimental effect that can't be seen until many cycles later. I hope to try to repeat the LN2 test towards the end of the beta testing to see if I can be successful in loosening the rivet.

Now to critique of the light. When I initially got it, I wasn't expecting to be wowed. I figure it would be brighter but when Peter put it side by side with the one on my keychain (a rev3 standard) I was totally blown away. We later attributed it to the spent cell in my keychain light so we swapped cells. Even with the depleted cell, the newer version was perceived to be twice as bright overall. Now that blew me away. I think Peter upped the ante again. He showed me some recent versions of the Peak LED's which some claimed to be bright but there was no contest. The only Peak LED that was on the same league was the 3-LED AAA version. The single AAA was a dog by comparison. It was absolutely no match for the new Arc.

Ergonomics--This is about equal to the old arc AAA. I like the tapering on the head as it gives it a more aerodynamic look but I don't think it has any other effect other than cosmetics. Knurling was just about right.

Tint--As this_is_nascar said, if you don't like a slightly bluish tint, move along, as there's nothing to see here. This one has a definite blueish tint but it is not objectionable by any means in my humble opinion. As a task/emergency light, I'd take the increase in brightness/runtime over tint any day.

Durability--I've only thrown it onto the tile a few times. The AAA cell appears to be taking all the abuse. I suspect I'll have to replace the cell eventually since it's dented enough that a few more blows would shorten it to the point where it won't make reliable contact.

More abuse to follow but I have to say that we have another winner here.

TRC

Newly Enlightened
Anyone think a cheap Dorcy AAA could stand up to the abuse necessary to FLATTEN the positive post on a AAA cell, and possibly also split the battery's CASE? I for one don't!

WOW! That's one tough torture test. And one tough little flashlight, to say the least! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Without treading too much on the pointless cost issue, it is obvious that when you buy one of the new Arc-AAA's, you are getting one well built little flashlight. And construction like that costs $$$.

I for one would rather pay more $$$ for what I know is a VERY tough flashlight.

The price is set by the manufacturer, as stated, comensurate with the quality of the flashlight. Period.

I know I'll be buying one, sooner or later. (Probably sooner.....!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cableguy

Newly Enlightened
Peter, after all of us buy one of these, how about making an AA medel with two or three leds? okay, so im greedy...

TRC

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cableguy said:
Peter, after all of us buy one of these, how about making an AA medel with two or three leds? okay, so im greedy...

[/ QUOTE ]

I vote 3 LED's. I'm not greedy; I just think it would make an excellent companion to it's 'little brother'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Didn't I read somewhere that before the original Arc-AAA went into production, it was first going to be a 3 LED flashlight? I can't remember if it was going to be AA or AAA, but given run time, I'd guess it was going to be a 3 LED AA flashlight.

Obviously, the single LED AAA flashlight was, and will be again, a huge success. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But it doesn't hurt to look to the future....!

rdshores

Enlightened
This quote is from the NICHIA NSPW500CS spec sheet HERE

"One delivery will include up to two consective color ranks and three luminous intensity ranks of the products.The quanity-ratio of the ranks is decided by Nichia."

So I would think that Peter would sort the LEDS into two groups using his own criteria and then put the best ones in the Premium lights and the others in the Standard lights. Wasn't this the process he used before?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my AAA as much as my AA. IMHO the Arc-AA has better knurling. Does the new AAA knurling feels like the AA?

If there will be a Premium, then will there be any marking that distinguish from the Standard? If so I wish that the marking be on the head instead of the tail because the guts is in the head. Did the previous AAA had marking on the head?

Regarding the price, I am certainly not in the position to say much because I haven't seen the actual resources required to create a unit. However, you are buying a "Made In USA" product, a customer support who speaks english on the other side of the phone and excellent product warranty.

-vince.

Kalinux

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'm not a beta tester but I have the Camo already in my hands
And as Mr Gransee said for the Camo-Quote "Of course, every unit has the new PCB and Nichia CS LED so the runtime and output figures are rev4 Premium grade."
The Camo is my first AAA Arc so I can not compare it to the old ones.
But head to head with Docry AAA, Arc AAA Camo is not brighter at all.
The "angry blue" is a little bit whiten and the spill is very even.
Of cource my eyes could be wrong, but the camo probably will end up on ebay..I do not collect flashlights, I use them.

SAK

Newly Enlightened
It appears that rugged beta testing is in progress with impressive results so far.

I would like to offer up another test suggestion. How about the dreaded trip-through-the-washing-machine test? Anyone game to give that a go?

Thanks,

--SAK

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
saber said:
I also have to agree with Phaserburn. As much as I would like another quality small single LED light, I can't even begin to justify the $40. LRI replaced their LED with the new Nichia and without increasing their prices. I frequently carry the Ultra-G which CC was just selling for $22. Even my Inova X5HA was less than $40. Not an apples to apples comparison, I know. Just another data point.

I don't currently own any Arc lights, but it's clear that the AAA model is the top of it's category. The best of luck to Peter in this new chapter of his design adventure. From a business perspective I completely understand premium brand pricing. I've spent the past ten years working for a company that charges a premium price for a premium product and still holds a majority market share for it's products.

Please don't view any of this as a flame. It's simply an observation from a potential customer.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

**** NOT A FLAME ****
I have to agree 40.00 is a bit steep for a single AAA light especially with the "angery blue" light coming from the "business end". I expected a nice white LED like other single battery light manufatures offer. sorry I can't justify the cost for the light, my wife will veto.

Doug

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
5 LED's Fit best in the diameter of 1AA Cell... it will be almost as bright as a Luxeon 1, 1st Generation and a 2500 NiMH Cell could give about 4 hours of runtime wiht full brightness...

just think about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

however, not to divert from the main topic.. i think after reading the testers comments... this new Arc AAA is turning out to be more tough than the previous verisons...

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
diggdug13 said:
[ QUOTE ]
saber said:
I also have to agree with Phaserburn. As much as I would like another quality small single LED light, I can't even begin to justify the $40. LRI replaced their LED with the new Nichia and without increasing their prices. I frequently carry the Ultra-G which CC was just selling for $22. Even my Inova X5HA was less than $40. Not an apples to apples comparison, I know. Just another data point.

I don't currently own any Arc lights, but it's clear that the AAA model is the top of it's category. The best of luck to Peter in this new chapter of his design adventure. From a business perspective I completely understand premium brand pricing. I've spent the past ten years working for a company that charges a premium price for a premium product and still holds a majority market share for it's products.

Please don't view any of this as a flame. It's simply an observation from a potential customer.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

**** NOT A FLAME ****
I have to agree 40.00 is a bit steep for a single AAA light especially with the "angery blue" light coming from the "business end". I expected a nice white LED like other single battery light manufatures offer. sorry I can't justify the cost for the light, my wife will veto.

Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me which "other" non-Luxeon (TM) LED lights that you've seen that don't have a blue-tint. I'll give you $1.00 for each one you can prove to not have a blue-tint of some extent.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Kalinux said:
The Camo is my first AAA Arc so I can not compare it to the old ones.
But head to head with Docry AAA, Arc AAA Camo is not brighter at all.
The "angry blue" is a little bit whiten and the spill is very even.

[/ QUOTE ]
Peter,
Can you add the Dorcy 1AAA1LED to the lights you are comparing with the new ARCrev4.You can probably replace the Solitaire with it.
In the threads asking what do you EDC or what is in your pockets, the populariity of pocketable lights seem to me to ne Arc, Q3, Ultra and Dorcy AAA in that order. I do not remember seeing many Solitaires.

Quality costs so much. Sigh.

Arc AAA rev4 premium: US$39 (C$49+Fedex)
High grade aluminium barstock.
Quality machining and knurling.
Solid lug.
5.5 lumens.

Dorcy 1 AAA 1 LED: C$13 at Sears Canada.
Cheap aluminium tube.
Adequate machining.
Rubber grip.
Lumpy head digs into thigh.
Needs 3 sometimes 4 half turns of tailcap to lock out the momentary button.
Do not trust keyring or lanyard to that flimsy Metal Hang Ring.
Output: Quickbeams total output 3x1.43=4.29 lumens.

Note: It takes 2 Dorcys to make 1 skinny Dorcy without the lumpy head. (using tailcap of one as the head of the other one). C$26 + labour.US$20. Of course Americans can get 2 for US$12 at Walmart.

I am not considering the arc AAA standard as I do not want to be disappointed output-wise against my Dorcy. I got a UKE 2AAA eled to back up my skinny Dorcy (which is no longer watertight) and is not too happy with it's brightness. Quickbeam's 1.8x1.43=2.57 lumens

[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
[Please tell me which "other" non-Luxeon (TM) LED lights that you've seen that don't have a blue-tint. I'll give you $1.00 for each one you can prove to not have a blue-tint of some extent.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you tried an uncut MJLED in a minimag?

Status
Not open for further replies.