barry bonds will eclipse the babe by mothers day

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Manzerick said:
Here's an interesting paradox:

6'1" 250 pound NFL lineman is considered by all to be a big guy

6'1" 250 pound MLB outfield is considered by all to be a big juice head!

Think Ray Lewis to Sammy Sosa….. Jose Canseco to David Boston… It's all relative
I don't understand this post. You said that Bonds started steroids in 1999 because he was jealous of McGwire and Sosa.
I asked "And you still respect him????????". I am not sure what this post has to do with my quesiton.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just making the point that all athletes in all sports are abusers. It is just public perception that baseball is the worst because it was not banded. Although his maybe true, one really needs to think about the NFL, NBA and other beloved sports…

With the mentality that we have clean and dirty athletes one needs to look at the non abusers who didn't make the bigs due to a juicer getting the roster spot. That to me is sadder than Barry breaking Babe's record…

These are all opinions as I mentioned due to none of the aforementioned athletes testing positive.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990" was established in 1990 and made it illegal to give or use anabolic steroids without a prescription.

So how can steroids be outlawed in the US in 1990, but legal in baseball until a decade later?

magic79

Enlightened
Manzerick said:
Just making the point that all athletes in all sports are abusers.

B.S. That's an outrageous and patently untrue thing to say.

As for Ruth and Aaron, Ruth was a sloppy drunk. If he'd stayed sober, he probably would have hit 900. But, considering his childhood, it's no wonder he was an alcoholic.

Aaron was an incredible gentleman.

Steroids have really ruined the HR part of the game for me. In 1971, Bill Melton of the REAL Sox led the AL in homeruns with 33! That wouldn't even get you in the top three on your TEAM now!

magic79

Enlightened
Manzerick said:
Roger is still the man and the best righty not named Nolan Ryan :)

Get serious! Neither of those guys hold a candle to Christy Mathewson. He won 20 or more games 13 out of 14 years and pitched over 300 innings most of those. Lifetime ERA 2.13...LIFETIME! 373 wins and only 188 losses.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who said they didn't have perscriptions? These people are smooth. You make a valid point and the MLBPA was too strong and the owenrs could not get a policy in.

Wolfen said:
The "Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990" was established in 1990 and made it illegal to give or use anabolic steroids without a prescription.

So how can steroids be outlawed in the US in 1990, but legal in baseball until a decade later?

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I admit, I made a mistake...

He's the best righty not Name Pedro

I'd compare league adjusted ERA to CM's anyday.... Pedro has the best winning %

magic79 said:
Get serious! Neither of those guys hold a candle to Christy Mathewson. He won 20 or more games 13 out of 14 years and pitched over 300 innings most of those. Lifetime ERA 2.13...LIFETIME! 373 wins and only 188 losses.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Untrue because you asked them? Untrue because it's "proven" with science and not what fans want to believe? You show me definitive proof and I will change my opinion.

Magic79 - I understand what you are saying but your statement is not a fact either. You do not know what they were or were not on. Aaron "may" have been the biggest amphetamine head ever... we will never know.

And for Mr. Melton… do you think he had a personal trainer? How about a weight room? Was nutrition where it is today? Also, we would not even have Barry Bonds playing as his knees would have forced him to retire of not for modern medicine.

Folks – let's get real. Unless you know they did not take anything, we're all guessing. My guess is as good as yours. I respect everyone's opinion but remember this is all they are, opinions.

magic79 said:
B.S. That's an outrageous and patently untrue thing to say.

As for Ruth and Aaron, Ruth was a sloppy drunk. If he'd stayed sober, he probably would have hit 900. But, considering his childhood, it's no wonder he was an alcoholic.

Aaron was an incredible gentleman.

Steroids have really ruined the HR part of the game for me. In 1971, Bill Melton of the REAL Sox led the AL in homeruns with 33! That wouldn't even get you in the top three on your TEAM now!

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the bottom line with Bonds and McGuire, Palmero, Giambi and Sosa is that they are tainted and everything they did or will do is tainted.

I think Bonds enjoys the notoriety. I think he believes fans don't care how he elevated his game, just that he broke records.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
and many many more...

look at the people who tested positive... all but Rafffff'ie were scrubs...

I'm so glad he got his.

It's sad when Jose Canseco is the only honest one (can't evne prove this statement).

magic79

Enlightened
Manzerick said:
I'm a die hard Sox fan and lov Roger but I understand he must have taken something. In 1996 he was out of shape, thin in the chest (LifeNRA check out come pic's of his chest and shoulders..one word: JACKED) and overall not a force. He then goes to the Blue Jays and his career changed as did his body.

In Canseco's book, he doesn't outright accuse Clemens, but he notes the body change that you pointed out and he also cites his pitch velocity increasing with age. I don't have a clue if his year-to-year velocities are recorded anywhere.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manzerick said:
Now there's one useless motherjumper. What the hell is this guy still doing in the NL? He can't catch, he certianly can't throw out a runner at 2nd base. He needs to go to the AL and DH. That's all he's good for.

And while we're at it, @#$% the AL and the DH. A baseball player that doesn't hit is like a hockey player who can't skate or a basketball player that can't dribble. Crash Davis said it best: "I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Planterz said:
Crash Davis said it best: "I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
I agree 100%. The DH was a travesty that should be corrected at once. :thumbsdow I can't stand how American league pitchers can hit batters without having to face a fastball themselves.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree things need to change...one MLB...one set of rules..

It kinda kills the integrity of the sport IMHO... Even if the DH was kept... i'm ok but make sure both leagues have the DH (and watch the mound get charged daily lol)

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about his skills but I'm greatful he's in SD as this freed up Dougie to come catch for the Sox :)

Planterz said:
Now there's one useless motherjumper. What the hell is this guy still doing in the NL? He can't catch, he certianly can't throw out a runner at 2nd base. He needs to go to the AL and DH. That's all he's good for.

And while we're at it, @#$% the AL and the DH. A baseball player that doesn't hit is like a hockey player who can't skate or a basketball player that can't dribble. Crash Davis said it best: "I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bonds takes one to the face today. Moron was standing on top of the net of the batting cages when one was fouled off and hit the bill of his cap really. Even though him and his huge head fell to the ground seconds later, he is expected to live. In fact, 10 minutes later he came out and did a couple rounds of practice himself. He must like dramatic movies, chick flicks. And also daytime television as the acting has rubbed off onto him...

-Cameron

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
three cheers for cory lidle and harmon killebrew! still stuck on 712. must be tough to lift the bat at his old age without the help of his flaxseed oil. the rheumetism must be acting up again. he and the rocket can discuss how they were able to play baseball for so long and never got detected! the steroid headhunter and baroid!

the reason why he got hit in the head was his head was too big and crowded the batting cage. unless he visits a shrink or some vodoo doctor. i think his head will remain just as large as his testicles are small!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I give Barry Bonds a certain amount of respect as well. He signed with San Francisco back in the days when free agency was starting to take off, meaning you wouldn't get 15-20 million a year but over the life of the contract would not have to worry about ever having to work for a living. I saw many players sign the big contract and then lay back and not meet expectations but Bonds gave SF their money's worth even before the steroids. I'm sorry about everything else that's transpired since.

Manzerick said:
I am a true baseball fan and can appreciate what Barry has done. More so than Sosa, Big Mac and even my hero Canseco he was a talent BEFORE the juice. He was the best 5 tool athlete since his godfather, Willie Mays! His dad Bobby was also a 5 tool monster. Granted it does not look good for him right now but, who's to say Aaron did not use amphetamines? What if the Babe used coke? We can't claim ignorance to rule that "may have" been broken as he has never failed a drug test. I'm the first to admit the man has done more juice than a horse in the Kentucky derby but, let's give him his time to shine, he's earned my respect for 20 years of dedication to his craft.

Also Ruth is a "bigger than life" character. He hit more homeruns in a year than most teams back in the 1920's. Barry could hit 900 and still not pass the Babe (BTW- i'm a die hard Sox fan)

Also Barry has never pitched nevermind pitched as well as Babe Ruth... make that tool # 6 lol

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
LifeNRA said:
To date I have not seen or heard of anyone or any evidence that
Clemens is juiced. I have no idea to be honest. I will note that
Clemens weight gain is in his belly and not his arms. He has gotten fatter in the gut. That would not suggest steroid use to me. Besides that there is no paper trail to follow on him like there is Bonds.

Yes, I recently saw a rebroadcast of his 20 strikeout game in 1986 when he was still 23 and his gut was definitely much smaller.