barry bonds will eclipse the babe by mothers day

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many more homers you think Ted would have hit if not for his service interruptions? He missed parts of five seasons the equivalent to about three full seasons, most of it in the 40s when he hit a higher percentage of homers before he hurt his elbow. I'm guessing conversatively at least 120 more perhaps even more which would have put him in Willie Mays neighborhood albeit before Willie's time but I have always thought about this and wondered if it might have put him close enough to the Babe to perhaps play a couple more seasons in the possiblity of eclipsing him. For old time baseball players I have never seen, I have always liked reading about Ted and Stan the man.

I was at the rainy game on Wednesday night that they lost to the Blue Jays.

Manzerick said:
I'm a die hard Sox fan

magic79

Enlightened
And despite Manzerick's "every athlete does it" bilge, I'm certain Ted Williams and Stan Musial (and Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris and so on) never did illegal drugs. Some may have drank like fishes...but it was legal and it CERTAINLY didn't improve performance. Heck, if the Babe and Mantle had NOT drank, they probably would have been even better. At least Mantle would have kept his own liver.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
There arent many people who can appreciate the feats of a cheater! unles you are a cheat yourself, you reside in san fransisco, the people who also thinks OJ was innocent! and people who truly believe that "you are as young as you think" so if the book SHADOW OF DREAM, or congress never acted, you'd see barry smacking homeruns into his sixties or when the steroids begins to affect his kidneys, or a stroke setting in, like it did to ted brewsky!

Raven

Enlightened
Barry Bonds will not get voted into the HOF, if there is any justice in the world, and nor will all the other cheaters.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a different slant. The sky is blue, water is wet, players cheat. Why because of you, you, you, and me. When we are willing to pay $40.00 bucks just to get in the stadium, $25.00 for a couple of beers, and hotdogs, the players are going to demand a raise. They are paid astronomical salaries that removes any doubt that they play because of money, not love of the game.

Case in point. Anyone remember the Greenbay Icebowl? Those guys went out there, and beat that pigskin to death in record temperatures because they loved the game.

When you start dishing out millions of dollars a year to the best players, everyone wants to make the big bucks. Whatever happen to "it is not if you win or lose, it is how you play the game". That is reffered to as integrity. There are coaches, and teams that have walked away from a win because it was not earned honestly. That is deserving of respect, not cheating to make more money.

As for "did they joice or not", lets be real. There are ways to cheat the test also, and just because they don't pop a "hot" UA is not really relative. Look at the numbers, and weight gain. I may not have a PHD in English, but I can read a book.

McGuire, Bonds, and the rest don't have the record. They only have notoriaty.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Just try to imagine how many homers Ruth and Aaron would have had if they were on steroids.

That's why I'm yawning everytime I hear somebody talk about Bond's record chase this year.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first known reference to an anabolic steroid in a US weightlifting/bodybuilding magazine is testosterone propinate in a letter to the editor in Strength and Health magazine in 1938. In the 1950s, scientific interest was rekindled, and methandrostenolone (Dianabol) was approved for use in the United States by the federal Food and Drug Administration in 1958 after promising trials had been conducted in other countries.

www.wikipedia.com

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Manzerick said:
The first known reference to an anabolic steroid in a US weightlifting/bodybuilding magazine is testosterone propinate in a letter to the editor in Strength and Health magazine in 1938.

www.wikipedia.com
Well at least that probably clears Babe Ruth. :grin2:

On a little bit of a side note: Does anyone else think that Hank Aaron never has gotten the credit he deserves. I mean besides the 755 homeruns that we all know about or remember.
The guy had a lifetime batting average of .305 over a 23 year career.
Averaged 99 RBI a year for 23 years
Averaged ONLY 60 strikeouts per year for 23 years.
Averaged 163 hits per year for 23 years.

All these averages include his last year where he only played in 85 games!
Take away that last half season and his strike outs may go up just a little but his other numbers would be even better than those listed above.

As much credit as he gets for his HR total I think it overshadows the overall greatness of the player he was. I think people have forgotten how complete of a player and especially hitter he was for 23 years.

metalhed

Enlightened
I've said it elsewhere, but will repeat it here.

I wish baseball fans who are in attendance at games in which Bonds participates would simply stand and turn their backs when he comes to the plate. I'd love to see a stadium full of fans make a statement by ignoring this man's efforts. He has made them meaningless through choices all his own.

I have no respect for him as an athlete, and no need for him as a human being. I wish he would just slither away.

I can't help but wonder though, 'What would Bobby say?'

magic79

Enlightened
I'm so glad you brought Aaron up, Jeff.

In addition to your comments, he was a darn good outfielder too...3 gold gloves and a lifetime .982 fielding average. He is ALL TIME #1 in HR, Extra Base Hits, RBI and total bases. He's second all time in Intentional Walks and third in Hits. He was one of the youngest player's his first year (when he made a whopping $5000!) and was second oldest his last two years.

He never made more than $250,000 in a year.

I hate to say it because I think it's often used as a crutch these days, but I think a lot of it had to do with him being black when he played in the 50s and 60s.

I think Aaron may have been the best all-round player ever. Of course the fat boy Babe wasn't a bad pitcher either...considering he still holds the record for most complete games in a season: 35 out of 38 starts and had a 2.01 ERA.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
one week left! can he do it without his flaxseed oil and his cream? can he cheat his way to become an icon? only 3 more to mcovey cove! he obviosly cant concentrate outside of san francisco. frustration, and pressure is really affecting his swing!

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am loving this. I would love for nothing to happen tonight at my Minute Maid Park with the Astros and get his butt out of town.

Anyone watch the game, or ESPN highlights for Tuesdays game?! Russ Springer is my Hero of the Day. I was there as he hit Bonds, and got tossed. On my feet the whole time cheering. Please don't say that I am a bad fan for cheering, its part of baseball. We were getting our Asstros handed to us, so we were happy to see something exciting happen.

But he still hasnt done it, 3 days after Mothers Day. He is just not operating well without his juice.

-Cameron

metalhed

Enlightened
Don't ask me how I know this, but...

Bonds right now reminds me of a coke or speed freak who is coming down off a four-day binge. You know how it works. A guy does stimulants for several days and when the partying finally stops, the user crashes...usually badly. I've seen guys sleep for 36 hours after a heavy 'run'.

Is it possible that the body reacts to the withdrawal of steroids in a similar fashion? Except with a delayed effect?

If so, Bonds is not just a (nearly) 42 year-old, aging athlete with bad knees. He's a (nearly) 42 year-old, aging athlete with bad knees who up until recently, felt and performed like a 22 year-old athlete because of stimulants.

And now he's crashing....badly.

I guess it's true. We do reap what we sow. :shakehead

BTW, Please don't celebrate this jerk's birthday on July 24th. Celebrate mine instead. :party:
And who knows, maybe he'll give us all a gift and retire before then. :nana:

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the picture I got when he got hit. Mind you I am reallly high up there. This is obviously a resized version though :D

Astros5-16-06%20054.JPG

-Cameron

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Russ Springer belongs in single A ball. It was a classless move that could have injured Barry. He's still human folks and deserves respect.

It was just wrong and I hope he gets fined, suspended and possibly deported!

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Bonds wears more body armor than a midevil knight. I'm not sure where a pitcher could throw the ball, except maybe his head, that could hurt him.

I will say that I do think it was a cheap shot.
And I do respect him for being human, I just don't respect him as a baseball player.