Battle of the Small Lights : Which to choose?

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
That pierce light looks pretty interesting, anyone ever try one? Seems to address a lot of needs,flood or throw avail, good run times, small. Made in USA,
If only it was less$$$.

cmendoza

Enlightened
The LOP 3 stage MillerMod looks intersting but I have a hard time with the 20min runtime on high.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just buy a PD and get it over with. It seems all one cell journies have to pass through the PD at one point...

Zarniwoop

Newly Enlightened
Look at some of the suggestions in the thread I started, too, people have been quite helpful. I have some different requirements and I don't mind the ugly factor on the EDC lights, but you can still read the posts.

If you get the Orb Raw, make sure you get the new one with the 2-stage switch!

The Orb's Tritium seems cool until you realize that you have less than 50% chance of being able to see it if you're digging through a drawer or bag, since it's only on 1 side of a round light... I'm all for Tritium locators but only for the cool factor unless you put 3 on it to be practical. And I don't know how easy they break if you drop the light on something hard...

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the 3 stage L0P operate? Twist to low, then what? medium, then high?
cmendoza said:
The LOP 3 stage MillerMod looks intersting but I have a hard time with the 20min runtime on high.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
thesurefire said:
Just buy a PD and get it over with. It seems all one cell journies have to pass through the PD at one point...

Can't bear to use/lose/damage such an expensive light :p

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took the bait for the Jet-I :D
Not a perfect EDC, but come to think of it, I did say :-

LEDcandle said:
I'm EDCing a Fenix L1P which is still good, but have always wanted a regulated, 3 watt, multiple brightness EDC in that size. A modded 3-watt L1P with 2 stage would have sufficed, but it never came.

And the Jet-I with its future 2-stage clickie is exactly that. And the price is right too. I guess I'll wait around for future LED advancements or maybe I'll make tons of cash along the way (ya right) and can buy any light and every light. :D

Thanks for the input all you guys!!

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
Hope I am not "hijacking thread". Just torn between getting a HDS 60XR and an Orb RAW. They both seem somewhat similar in runtime and brightness. Can the Orb go on a keychain?

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
The Orb Raw has a keychain ring avail at flashlightlens.com ,its about 4 dollars,
Its really just a snap ring and o ring.you could try checking out a hardware store.
To help between the 2 I think it would be a matter of intended use,if its for work and durability I would say the hds is probably more durable,if its for casual use,
I would pick the Raw, its really a nice light ,I carry mine all the time,its so small you dont know its there! Graet little lifgt,very cool!

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDcandle said:
I read about the MB3W having a finicky button but otherwise is quite good. I'm leaning towards it cuz it seems like the only one that meets most my requirements; but obviously I'm not in love with it or I'd have grabbed it long ago :D

If the switch worked perfectly then I'd consider this light. However, the switch on this light is the worst I've seen on any light. Not to mention it really does look like a chinese factory made light and the o-ring is exposed when the tailcap is unscrewed. I get the impression that the unscrewing the tail as a "lotc" was really just spin when they realized how bad the switch was. I finally just recieved my refund after sending it back and pmailing emil around ten times and waiting 3+ weeks for it to arrive in china . Of course, it was obvious that the switch sucked when he offered these and I could have avoided the entire buying experience if Emil had been up front about the switch. Generally a bad buying experience.

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
OK, between a Peak Carribean, Orb RAW, and HDS EDC 60XR, which would you pick to keep in your pocket? I did a "search" but there is not much talk about Peaks, even though they seem to get good reviews in most places.

jefft

Enlightened
I agree with xochi. Take the MB3W out of contention. Not worth the hassle factor of a crappy switch and bad tailcap. However, if you like lights that turn on and off just by shaking them back and forth, this is your light. (the fact that it is unpredictable makes it even more exciting)

vortechs

Enlightened
edakoppo said:
From Warren's sale pic the Intelli is DD, not regulated. For regulation you'd need one of the 1.3W models, then have the Flupic added, so your cost would go up above $120. As to runtime and other batteries, Warren sells (or was selling) the Cab extension for 14500 or the Bus extension for 2 AAs.

Hi, I just wanted to clarify that the JIL CR2 "Intelli" is a JIL CR2 DD (direct drive) with goldserve's FLuPIC added to allow multiple brightness levels and other features like: strobe, SOS, and user adjustment of brightness levels and strobe frequency. The Intelli or any other JIL CR2 DD modded with a FLuPIC can only limit current, it cannot boost primary CR2's, so the light is somewhat less bright on primaries (I'd compare it to a Luxeon I). The Intelli really needs a LiIon RCR2 battery to get the maximum brightness (comparable to a good Luxeon III).

It is not currently possible to combine the micropuck boost circuit of the JIL CR2 1.3W version with goldserve's FLuPIC. There are JIL CR2 1.3W versions out there that have been modded with the FLuPIC, but this is accomplished by removing the micropuck circuit. Most of the FLuPIC mods of JIL CR2 1.3W heads were done before goldserve completed the development of the FLuPIC mod for the smaller JIL CR DD head. Goldserve isn't making the FLuPIC mod kit for the 1.3W version anymore, since the DD version is a better (smaller) host head for the FLuPIC.

I hope this helps explain the FLuPIC options available for the JIL CR2 series. Don't plan on getting a 1.3W version and adding a FLuPIC. I'm still waiting for somebody to design a mod for the JIL series that can both boost 3V primaries and limit the peak 4.2V of a LiIon RCR2.

I've been very happy with my Intelli. It is very small and amazingly bright. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the JET-AA and JET-CR123, but the tiny JIL CR2 is really in a different class (keychain versus pocket).

pcmike

Enlightened
In my opinion the only option is a HDS EDC Ultimate 60 XR for $160 shipped. You'll more then likely end up with one anyhow if you stay here long enough, so why not just get the best from the beginning! :thumbsup:

Latest posts