Battle of the Small Lights : Which to choose?

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered from Optics HQ for even a little less than the $160 with shipping included. Much thanks to Ront, Kobi Bukai at Optics HQ, Flashlight Reviews, and countless others who said the HDS is their EDC. :sold: Respectfully, Frank

minkling

Newly Enlightened
If you really like the Intelli you can get real close with a Q3 and a flupic fom Goldserve. You can upgrade the LED while you have it apart and it works great. You just need to run it on rechargeables.:grin2:

ront

Newly Enlightened
You are most welcome whorton5. I am glad I could help. I know you will like the HDS!!

Ron

Zarniwoop

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I didn't get on all weekend to reply sooner...

The ORB is a CR2 light, which is a smaller battery than a CR123.

That is your biggest difference between an ORB and an HDS EDC.

The CR2 lets the ORB be smaller, but I personally have no interest in yet another battery size. I already have CR123A lights so I don't want anything that takes a CR2. If the ORB was your only light, and you didn't mind recharging it (and buying more CR2 when the inital one inevitably stops taking a charge) then I'd say go for it. MAKE SURE you get the new ORB with the 2-stage brightness switch if that's what you want. I can't tell if the ones LightHound sells have the 2-stage, it doesn't seem to say. EMilions DOES say "Dual brightness switch" however.

What's the big deal with 2-stage brightness? If you've never used a 3 watt Luxeon light, let me tell you, they are BRIGHT. My wife was trying to use nail clippers to trim off a little scratchy on the side of one of her nails, but couldn't get it. We already had all the lights in the room on. I grabbed the Dorcy 1 Watt 1xCR123A from my nightstand and tried to help her see better. My wife said "That's too bright!" All we could see of her fingers was WHITE, like an over-exposed digital picture when the flash is too bright. I had to hold the light further away and use the side "spill", until our pupils adjusted. After about 30 seconds I could shine the center of the beam at her fingers without blinding us, but it took a little bit for our eyes to take that much light close up. And that was only a 1 watt light, with our eyes already adjusted to a fully lit room. Immagine turning on your ORB 3 watt in the dark to find a key-hole? Ouch!:duck: