Best 1xAA like Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 only with better clip and nicer LED

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again, guys. I don't want to admit to myself that I might have started a new hobby here, but looking at my growing collection of flashlights just for testing, it's hard to ignore. I currently justify it by planning on giving most of these flashlights to family though! :cool: But if get into modding, then I know I'm in trouble....

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
So here is my current official contender list, in order of the flashlights I like the best so far:

1xaapocketedc1.jpg

From left to right, in current order of preference (personal rankings, subject to change after more testing):

1 - Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 - Great flashlight for the money, just waiting for some alternate clips to come in to test. Its main downfall is the current clip IMO. Not deep enough carry for me. But overall, including cost consideration, it's the best so far (for my needs/preferences of course)

2 - Eagletac D25a Clicky MKII - Best flashlight of the group so far, but also most expensive. To me, personally, it's not worth 3x the cost of the Lumintop for my usage scenario. I'd rather buy 3 Lumintops. But the Eagletac is indeed outstanding, and I don't regret buying it. I am now an Eagletac fan, and "get" what nice flashlights are supposed to be like now... but considering these flashlights go missing on me too often, I'd rather spend less and not worry about losing (or someone "borrowing") the Lumintop. At around $35, this would be worth it for my equation, and I'd be all-in. But not at $50. I'll still probably buy The Eagltac D3A too at some point since apparently now I'm starting to "collect" these things... thanks for introducing me to quality flashlights, guys. :cool:

3 - Fenix E12 - Provisionally in 3rd place, waiting for some clips to come in to test. I really like this for striking a great balance. Not the best overall, but I like the modes and build. Not totally sure why yet, but I just want to use it... Crossing fingers a clip will work well.

4 - Sofirn SF14 V2.0 - Growing on me, I'm finding I like the mode/UI/spacing... very simple and works for me, but a step down from the above flashlights. Good value too BTW.

5 - Thorfire TG06S - The most bulky of the group, don't like the order of the modes, and actually don't like the anti-roll head which just makes it more clunky for me. Excellent though for other folks who like those features. High quality, just not for me.

6 - Factor Mizpah 160 - Could have been great. The clip is a disappointment, and the modes and spacing aren't working for me. Don't like the forced strobe. The build is a step down too, the switch a little touchy sometimes, also some battery issues, and I only just bought it. Just not in the same class as the above. But happy I bought it to test, will go in the glove compartment of the car. This is what I'd consider the minimum for this category for me.

That's it for now! Thanks again for your help! I'll post again once I rotate through these with real-world experience... and after I test out some clips coming in for the Lumitop and Fenix.

Last edited:

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
The Streamlight ProTac clips came in! So I've now put these on my Fenix E12 and Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 and I think I might have a winning combo here -- see the photo below.

The clips in the photo are: Streamlight 880098 for the E12, which I think is a tiny bit looser than I'd like, not ideal, but still okay... the 880098 will likely fit better on a thicker flashlight like the Sofirn or Thorfire. I will try that soon.

And then the Streamlight 880104 is on the Lumintop Tool AA 2.0, which is very tight and will definitely take more effort to remove. I think the 880104 might actually work better on the E12 too.

Anyway, the ProTac clips make these 1xAA flashlights better than the originals IMO, allowing for deep carry. The clips are better and seem more robust than the standard clips IMO on all the flashlights except the Eagletac clip. I'm betting the 880104 would serve as an okay replacement clip on the Eagletac too, should the original Eagletac clip break. If you don't need/want deep carry, then it's a toss-up with these clips though... they are harder to put on and remove than the originals, and you'll scratch the finish of the flashlights (at least I already did on the E12). For me though, the new clips are definite upgrades.

So I'd say I have some really great options now -- much closer to what I originally wanted.

protacclipsonfenixandlumintop.jpg

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
My vote goes to the Reylight Ti LAN V3 although the clip might not do it for you.

I saw the Reylight on Massdrop and it is a beauty. Definitely fits all my specs perfectly, except for the cost preference. Right now it's $65 on Massdrop. Very, very tempted. Might get it but I wouldn't want to lose it (or have it "borrowed" by a family member and not see it for a few years). It costs more than the Eagletac. But definitely awesome. One day left to order it on Massdrop.... tempted...

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
Quick update -- I just tried the Streamlight 880098 clip on the Sofirn SF14 V2.0 and it was tough to get on... very tight. And I managed to scratch the flashlight doing it. However, it's on there really well and also looks pretty darn good. The 880098 fits the Sofirn better than the Fenix IMO. Nice combo.

light-modder

Enlightened
If you like the specs of the Reylight Ti LAN V3 then you should also check out the Reylight Pineapple. There is a AA and AAA version so watch out for that. It's brass instead of titanium so naturally cheaper. And if you find one used they can be about $45. I just got one last week.

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, @light-modder, I've now got my eye on Reylight -- it seems I also missed the Pineapple massdrop, but the next time it comes up, I'll snag it. Reylight is definitely on my list of desirable flashlights, just probably not at the higher cost compared to my current contender list for lights that could more easily disappear on me!

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
Quick update on my search:

The current rankings:

1 - Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 with the Streamlight 880104 clip is pulling away from the pack from my current collection based on the price and features for me. It's a great combo. The Streamlight clip is a big upgrade over the original clip for my usage needs/preferences (see photo I posted above).

2 - Eagletac D25a Clicky MKII - This is a better flashlight than the Lumintop (even considering the new Streamlight clip), but cost is also a factor, considering these kinds of flashlights go missing on me too easily. Due to cost, it's #2 for me. Love it though.

3 - Fenix E12 with the Streamlight 880104 clip - Also a good choice, but is edged out by both the Lumintop and Eagltac.

The other flashlights from my previous list don't compete with these three. Those will likely go to family who are just happy to get a cool flashlight and aren't so picky. :)

At this point, I'm pretty happy with my results, and thanks again for your input! I still want better CRI, but I know that comes with higher cost. So I'm keeping my eye open for deals on higher end flashlights to rotate in when the risk of losing them is lower -- flashlights like the Eagltac D3a, Lumintop Prince AA, Reylight Pineapple AA and other similar higher-end flashlights are great IMO for various reasons. However, those higher end flashlights won't likely match the value proposition of the Lumintop with the Streamlight clip, unless there's some amazing Black Friday deal on them. I'll probably buy them in the months ahead anyway since I'm apparently getting sucked into a new hobby with these dang flashlights. :) But I think the workhorse will be the Lumintop for now.

Thanks again for all who helped me out in this and my AAA thread too. Very happy to have found this forum for help!

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
Another quick update -- I've done a lot more testing and these are my current 1xAA favorites:

1 - EagleTac D25A MK II - Rose to the top... despite its cost compared to the Lumintop, it really is the best one IMO, and probably worth the money, going against my prior statement that it wasn't worth 3X the Lumintop. Well... yes it is. Sigh. I guess I've been sucked into the flashlight vortex, but it really is better than the Lumintop in almost every way... Still, I'm not totally a fan of the clip right now (it tends to snag more than some others from my big initial AA list), but overall, it still beats out every other 1xAA I've tested so far. The great features, UI, mode spacing, build quality, etc... combine to make a truly excellent compact tail clicky 1xAA EDC.

2 - Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 with Streamlight 880104 clip - This one fell behind in my rotation. Still very good, but it falls short in several areas compared to the EagleTac. Inferior ergonomics, inferior beam quality, UI, etc... but is still #2 due to the excellent value for the money, and combined with the Streamlight clip, it still beats out all my other contenders.

Eliminated:

3 - Fenix E12 with the Streamlight 880104 clip - This one is off the list now since it just doesn't compete with #1-2 in several areas. And recently, I've really come to dislike the beam quality and dispersion compared to #1-2. Still a solid choice if someone loves Fenix, but I'd choose the others any day.

Thanks again guys -- Now I'm heading over to my CR123A thread to update that one! :)

Last edited:

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
So as I wrap up my search (for now!) for the best 1xAA EDC flashlight for my specs, I've also been simultaneously testing 1xAAA and 1xCR123A flashlights for similar situations when I need or want something a little different (different pockets, different anticipated needs that day, etc.). It dawned on me that there is no hard line between flashlights, since some of the 1xAAA flashlights I liked are almost as big as the 1xAA flashlights, which are close to the 1xCR123A flashlights, etc... so the lines became very blurred for me! I've also been refining my specs as I've learned more about flashlights and informally testing them, since I didn't realize certain features in flashlights even existed before I joined this forum!

So far, thanks to the info from this forum, I've gone deeper than I ever thought I would into the flashlight matrix and bought 25+ flashlights and started rotating through them, testing them, using them in my normal workflow, and I finally eliminated over half of my flashlights, then did a shootout of my top 12 flashlights together and compiled all my results across the three kinds of batteries into one master list... and here are my results. Below are my TOP 7 -- one for each day of the week. :) Well, some of them (the top few) will get more use than the others, but I have 7 theoretical best flashlights that cover all my EDC tasks one way or another. All the rest of my flashlights will be backups in cars or my office, or given to family and friends.

BTW, for reference and to consolidate this search all together here in this thread, the other two threads that covered my searches for 1xAAA and 1xCR123A flashlights are here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...igure-out-what-EDC-to-buy-best-AAA-for-pocket

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...23A-tail-clicky-deep-carry-EDC-with-no-magnet

--------

So, to consolidate all this together, here we go. This is obviously completely subjective, and relative to the refined specs I've been searching for. YMMV of course.

The revised specs that work for me are:

1 - Must have mechanical tail switch - momentary option is a nice bonus.
2 - Side switch or twist switch is okay for mode changing or programming only, but the main power must be a tail switch.
3 - No magnets. I just don't like them on a flashlight.
4 - Must be deep carry with a really good pocket clip - reversible or dual pocket/hat clip is a nice bonus.
5 - The UI must allow for simple Low -> Hi (or Low -> Mid -> Hi, etc.) operation, and if there is a strobe, it must be hidden or not in the first mode sequence.
6 - It must be compact... max diameter 0.8-0.9 inches (preferably about 0.7 inches), max length about 4 inches (preferably about 3.3-3.6 inches).
7 - No USB port.
8 - Power supply can be 1xAA, 1xAAA, or 1xCR123A, in that order of preference.

So after my big personal unscientific shootout that included size, ergonomics, UI, build quality, beam quality and spacing, clip quality, likability, cost, and even snag/scratch testing in my pocket, I calculated scores and wound up with this exact order of TOP 7 EDC flashlights that fit my needs:

EDCfavorites.jpg

From left to right (Score out of 5):

1 - EagleTac D25A MK II (Score: 4.00) - One EDC flashlight to rule them all. It's the best for my specs overall, I can't deny it. I'll probably order the Titanium Edition or D3A soon too. I'm a fan. I wish the clip were slightly better -- I don't like the little screws that tend to snag things or scratch my hand a little more than the other clips, but that's relatively minor compared to all the other positives.

2 - Fenix PD25 (Score: 3.96) - Really close second, my favorite of the CR123A flashlights. Great balance of features and power for me.

3 - Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 with Streamlight 880104 clip (Score: 3.86) - The price/performance value leader. On a budget, this is the one. Note: The Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 with the *standard* Lumintop clip scored 3.14 for me.

4 - Olight i3T (Score: 3.79) - The simple, elegant, compact 1xAAA EDC.

5 - EagleTac D25C MK II (Score: 3.75) - Another superb flashlight from EagleTac, but I found the form factor of the 1xAA version to suit my needs and preferences better, despite the CR123A's greater power. Still this packs a punch and is an excellent option.

6 - Streamlight ProTac 1AAA (Score: 3.71) - The second choice for simple reliable 1xAAA EDC, does the job without complaint.

7 - Olight M1T Raider SE (Score: 3.50) - A good choice when I want the most simplicity and power in one flashlight, the "power" version of the i3T. Note: Technically, the score is for the M1T US "Special Edition" version with Low -> High, instead of the standard edition High -> Low. The photo is of the standard M1T as I wait for my M1T SE to come in. I'll use both.

Again, these are rated according to my personal needs in a spreadsheet of various factors that might not correlate to any one else's needs.

What made me realize how blurry the boundaries are across battery types, was actually the 1xAA EagleTac D25A MK II, which is so slender and elegant, that it's really close in size to a nice 1xAAA flashlight... and then you have the 1xCR123A EagleTac D25C which is also so light and compact, it further blurs the boundaries.

These are the best for my specs, out of 25+ flashlights tested!

Thank you all for helping me out. The ones above literally cover all my EDC bases. They are not perfect (the highest score I calculated was 4.00 out of 5) so I'll keep my eyes open for something that might be even better for my specs (doubtful something significantly better exists, I've searched and searched!). But these are all great at what they do and for their purposes.

This has been a lot of fun, and I'm very happy to have found this forum to help me out. I had no idea what was out there, and I'm blown away by the myriad of products. There are whole classes of products I passed on (i.e., I don't want a magnet, I prefer mechanical tail switches, etc...) so if I broadened my specs, I'd have to buy at least another 25 flashlights to test! But I'm happy with the specs and results. And looking forward to learning more here in the forum! Thanks again, all who helped me out!

Last edited:

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
Added a couple more to my collection since I've become a fan of Eagletac -- I wanted to see what the story was with fancier Titanium versions... and are they worth it?

So I picked up the D3A Ti and D25C Mk II Ti -- they have the exact same features as my D25A Mk II and D25C Mk II, except in Titanium of course, plus I opted for different LEDs just to see the difference. The D3A has the Nichia 219C, and the D25C Mk II Ti has the XP-L HI.

I'd have to say that the D3A with the Nichia is my favorite of the four -- I've put them in order of favorite first, from left to right.

But are the Ti versions worth it? They are both more elegant -- very classy indeed -- but from a purely operational and technical standpoint there is zero advantage that I can see, other than LED preferences. Maybe someone can enlighten me if there is an advantage to Titanium? They cost me about $25 more each and I'd say that as long as I am careful not to lose them (the cost factor), and if I want to carry something a little more elegant, then I'd say, yes, they are worth it. The material and cosmetic design, to me, are both nicer, plus they both have the glow in the dark tail switches, which is a nice, maybe useful detail. For $25 more... sure, why not. If pure functionality is the only question though, then I'd stick with the basic D25A Mk II for my requirements, and maybe get the Nichia version.

The adventure continues!

eagletacedc1.jpg

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
Does titanium conduct heat as well as aluminium?

Good question -- I don't know, but according to a little google search I just did, apparently, titanium in general is not a good conductor of heat. How that compares to aluminum or how that impacts the flashlight I have no idea... I wonder if Eagletac has published some thermal tests?

I do notice that the titanium versions are heavier than the aluminum versions, but not by much. So there's another difference.

lLcooljef

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the suspension clip. I have one on my Swiss army Tinker. Never thought of it for a flashlight.

Also thanks to the OP. Fantastic rundown. My criteria are similar to yours so I found this thread and all of your detail particularly helpful.

I'm wondering how far down the list the Sofirn sf14 fell for you? It checks all my boxes, first and second of which are, no memory, and starts in low. Besides the feel of the build quality would you mind sharing your basic thoughts on it's strengths and weaknesses?

Javora

Enlightened
No, not even close

Yeah my ti3 gets pretty warm if I leave on high long enough. The reason I like titanium better is because the metal doesn't get scratched and dinged up like aluminum does. I don't worry about my light being left on my keychain. AAA lights are small enough not to cost an arm and a leg even in titanium and can be taken almost anywhere.

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering how far down the list the Sofirn sf14 fell for you? It checks all my boxes, first and second of which are, no memory, and starts in low. Besides the feel of the build quality would you mind sharing your basic thoughts on it's strengths and weaknesses?

Ratings like these are obviously very subjective in nature, but the Sofirn sf14 fell down to 3.39 points for me WITH the Streamlight clip attached... which is actually pretty darn good. But it fell down to 2.57 points out-of-the-box with the standard clip. The Sofirn clip is just terrible for me. I have a high expectation of clips apparently, lol. Basically, the clip affected several areas including usability, how it sits in my pocket, etc. However, the UI, design, price and size of the flashlight were still strong points. But that clip. Oh, that clip. Just give it a good real-world test in a pocket. One of the worst IMO. :eek:

lLcooljef

Newly Enlightened
Haha! Thanks for that. Fortunately for me, I don't use clips so I think it might be my huckleberry